Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice On Renting

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2004, 07:04 PM
kob999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On Renting

I will be renting out a flat in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any useful advice for landlords.

I plan to get them to sign a standard contract. I have seen several of these for sale on the internet. Has anyone here used one or are there any other sources aside from going directly to a solicitor.

On the issue of troublesome tenants what is the legal issue for example if they stop paying the rent. I have heard scare stories where it can take 6 months to get someone out. Is thistrue or an extreme case.

Any other advice or tips would be much appreciated
Old 04 December 2004, 07:38 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The stories are true.

A tenant will normally sign a SAT (short assured tenancy) which is a minimum of 6 months.

The law protects the tenant more than the landlord. If they don't pay, you are breaking the law if you chuck them out forcibly without going down the proper routes of eviction. Eviction can take months (or until the end of the lease worst case) if going down the legal route.

Choose your tenants carefully, but I can guarantee that even the "ideal tenant" can turn into a nightmare tenant quite quickly & easily!
Old 04 December 2004, 07:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS I use my solicitor for the lease.

1) It reinforces the fact the tenant is signing a legal agreement and emphasises the professional aspect.

2) He only charges me £50.

3) If there is an issue/mistake/****-up, the solicitor deals with it. If you make a mistake on doing your own legal paperwork, you will pay the price
Old 05 December 2004, 01:05 AM
kob999
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that. I may go down the route of a solicitor if one can be had for a reasonable price.

What about credit checks etc. Are there any reccomended organisations available that you can purchase this from

Last edited by kob999; 05 December 2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05 December 2004, 08:57 AM
Bluie
Scooby Regular

You can use an agent who will do a tenant find, credit check and draw up the agreement for 2 weeks rent.

Make sure you get rent insurance from someone like LetSure, to protect against non payment.

The law protects the tenant more than you. You have to wait until at least 2 months rent is outstanding before you can start legal matters. May have to wait 6 weeks for court date and then the judge can grant a repossession order from 2 to 6 weeks.

Nick