Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Turned over by stolen credit card

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2004, 05:00 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turned over by stolen credit card

If anyone in the brighton area gets offered cheap petrol skateboards,gopeds or smartech nitro cars please contact me,there will be a reward if the info leads to me catching the arshole that paid me with a stolen credit card.
And before all the questions,i was stupid and have certainly learnt my lesson.

Thanks all.
Old 30 November 2004, 07:23 PM
TURBO RAY
Scooby Regular

happerned to me aswell we got a card machine at work sold a set of wheels over the phone delivered to his garage a month later the bank took back the money it was a stolen card took a bloody long time to tell me told to tell the police not a leg to stand on ??????
Old 30 November 2004, 07:36 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

And me as well, £2500 worth of car hi- fi turned up on my doorstep that I did not order, when I phoned the shop the guy gave me my details over the phone even my date of birth, but the prat who did it gave 2 phone numbers one false and a mobile, the credit card company were brilliant, but the police fooking useless, too this day I still don't know what happened and this happened over 2 years ago.
Cheers
Colin
Old 30 November 2004, 08:15 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

I was a complete prat,suckered in.
3 transactions over the phone nearly 4k.
All seemed so genuine,i so wish i had the registration of the van that came to collect the goods.
The police are so called dealing with it,but even if they get a result,which is extremely unlikely,i wont get a bean back.
I do alot of bussiness by mail order/payments over the phone.
A certain banks merchant services that i shant name have been unbeleivably Ferkin useless.
We now have our credit card machine updated and are paying for the address verification service.
I just pray i will bump into the lads that came and collected the goods.
F reg grey saphire cosworth was the car one of the lads was driving.
Once again if anyone has been offered any of the items mentioned please let me know,i will keep any names confidential and a reward will be paid.
To say im angry with myself is a understatement.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:22 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

but the police fooking useless, too this day I still don't know what happened and this happened over 2 years ago.
Cheers
Colin[/QUOTE]Thats more than likely because most financial institutions aren't bothered if they lose a couple of grand. Your bank charges more than cover that. Plod contact the bank to be told "we don't release details of fraudulent transactions below £xxxx" So who do the public moan at?
Old 30 November 2004, 08:37 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Yep,Even at nearly 4k it seems nobody is particularly bothered.
Sad but it makes you realise just how easy it is to get away with credit card fraud.
The only thing im thankfull for is that the bank are only taking 1k a month back,makes it a little easier to handle.
Old 30 November 2004, 09:55 PM
TURBO RAY
Scooby Regular

i bet the same card machine i use got to be very careful with them even if they give you all the details
Old 01 December 2004, 08:16 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Happened to me too, some git ordered £6500 worth of stuff for his Mitsu GTO, gave me the card details and everything checked out when I did the security checks with Amex, unfortunately I sent the items to a fake address which was supposed to be his garage and he ended up with £6500 worth of my stuff and I ended up with FA!

Max Georghino - you are a bad man, I hope you rot you ****!
Old 01 December 2004, 08:54 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

I would advise all who use a credit card machine for taking payments over the phone,that they get the adresss confirmation service.
This means the buyer will need to give you there adresss,the machine will verify that the card is registered to that address.Not 100% safe but as near as damn it.
Old 01 December 2004, 09:10 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by waggy doo
The only thing im thankfull for is that the bank are only taking 1k a month back,makes it a little easier to handle.
So you (the small business) have to pay the money back even though they aurthorised it!

Something is wrong there in my opinion! Surely they must take the hit on the loss not yourself?

If it was reported stolen then surely they shouldn't have let it go through the system and if they did know about it and still let it go through then they should pay. If it wasn't reported then surely they have insurance to cover this - how is it your fault - you comply to there regulations!

banks will shaft you any way they can!
Old 01 December 2004, 09:33 AM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

waggy, sorry to hear that,

my mate has a model shop selling these types of goods, so i'll get him to keep an eye out.
i'm sure they wont try and palm the goods off in Brighton, unless they are complete morons.

PS: if this mate of mine ever catches anyone doing this kind of scam on him, he will pull their arms and legs off and bury the remains.

good luck

BB (TT)
Old 01 December 2004, 09:50 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Vtech to Turbo
I have had a number of lenghty discussions/fuming rows with our banks mearchant services,the end result is the buck stops with me.
If i had asked to see the credit card and obtained a signature when the goods were colected then i would have taken all the possible precautions and the bank would have taken liability.
But stupidly i didnt do any of these things.
I have had two companys call me asking why there was a transaction on there credit card for goods they never received.There cards were not lost or stolen so the card number etc was obtained by this tosser some how.
Old 01 December 2004, 09:52 AM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Thundertiger
Thanks mate.
I know i will never see the money again,so the scum bag if ever found will have a late nite visit.
Old 01 December 2004, 10:13 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Can I make a suggestion to ANYONE who takes CC payments online:

VISA
Verified by Visa

Mastercard
SecureCode

These two will protect you against fraudulant transactions. They shift the onus back to the CARD ISSUER away from the MERCHANT.

Cost, £10 per month each.

They do work. We have had 4 transactions attempted chargeback. All Visa, VbV covered all four. Loss passed back to card issuer.

Ask your payment provider for information.

HTH.

Buck
Old 01 December 2004, 10:30 AM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

We used to have loads of problems with bummy cards at work, so now we strickly only send goods to the card holders address, and anything being collected from the shop must be paid for in the shop. Ok, it is awkward for a few customers but i can't recall the last time we had a charge back from the bank.
Old 01 December 2004, 10:45 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by waggy doo
Vtech to Turbo
I have had a number of lenghty discussions/fuming rows with our banks mearchant services,the end result is the buck stops with me.
If i had asked to see the credit card and obtained a signature when the goods were colected then i would have taken all the possible precautions and the bank would have taken liability.
But stupidly i didnt do any of these things.
I have had two companys call me asking why there was a transaction on there credit card for goods they never received.There cards were not lost or stolen so the card number etc was obtained by this tosser some how.
Really sorry to hear that mate - beggers belief - do banks think that people can't copy signatures?

Unjust in my opinion!

I feel for you! hope they get caught and punished accordingly.

Good luck
Old 01 December 2004, 12:39 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
And me as well, £2500 worth of car hi- fi turned up on my doorstep that I did not order, when I phoned the shop the guy gave me my details over the phone even my date of birth, but the prat who did it gave 2 phone numbers one false and a mobile, the credit card company were brilliant, but the police fooking useless, too this day I still don't know what happened and this happened over 2 years ago.
Cheers
Colin
Same thing happened to me over a year ago for close to 7k in PC stuff. They had also given a mobile and a false number.
Reported it to coppers - they didn't give 2 sh*ts. Computer companies were also not bothered.
I worked out the scam and who was most likely behind it but couldn't be bothered to tell the coppers as they don't like anyone getting above their station.