Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Body Fat - How to lose/burn it

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2004, 01:19 PM
Eric Cartman
Scooby Regular

Location: The Son And The Heir, Of A Loneliness That Is Criminally Vulgar...but you can call me beefcake...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Fat - How to lose/burn it

What's the fastest way apart from liposuction
I work out 4 times a week but I just can't get rid of the fat around the tummy area. My diet is pretty healthy, no fizzy drinks, no sweets etc etc but I still can't make the fat reduce. Any tips?

BTW, I'm 6'1'' and 13 stone
Old 30 November 2004, 01:23 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Christ, I wish I was only 13 stone and I'm shorter than you!
Old 30 November 2004, 01:23 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"My diet is pretty healthy, no fizzy drinks, no sweets etc"

its your diet. fat doesnt come from nowhere, you swallow it.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:27 PM
Eric Cartman
Scooby Regular

Location: The Son And The Heir, Of A Loneliness That Is Criminally Vulgar...but you can call me beefcake...

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"My diet is pretty healthy, no fizzy drinks, no sweets etc"

its your diet. fat doesnt come from nowhere, you swallow it.

Any suggestions then for my diet?
Old 30 November 2004, 01:33 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

no......use google.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:34 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
Any suggestions then for my diet?
Keep a diary of what you eat and drink for a week and then work out your calorie and fat intake. You'll probably be shocked but you'll be able to see where you can cut out the worst stuff. My diet would be excellent if all crisp manufacturers went bust
Old 30 November 2004, 01:41 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

ZMA you can get it from GNC - one of the side effects is that it works as a duiretic and it will bleed the water out the fat - try it for 2-4 weeks and see what you think.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:42 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

If you are serious about loosing fat from around the gut........which is the hardest area to loose it from, you need to start doing alot of cardio stuff, jogging, walking, cycling, using running machines, treadmills etc etc.

You need to start burning more than what you are consuming. This is easy to do if you eat less food and healthy food. Its hard at first but once in the routine it gets easier, breakfast have fruit, lunch have salad, dinner have meat and veg or meat and salad, if your hungry in between only eat fruit. As this is all food that has virtually no fat. Drink juice and water, you should be consuming about 2 litres of water a day. Dont over do it, experiment with food and exercise, everyones bodies are different and adapt to different things.
Becareful this time of year as eating less and exercising hard makes you an easy target for illness.

I managed to loose a stone in about 2 months by doing the above, but i assure you it takes will power.
Just experiment and you will find out what works best for you.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:50 PM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

I think this has been covered before, but anyway here goes mate..

Your body only stores fat when the energy that you expend is less than that which you consume ie. calories from food. Whatever the calorie source, be it from fat, protein or carbohydrate, any excess calories are cleverly stored up by the body as fat, just in case you might need them one day.

The only way to remove the stored fat is to reverse the trend by making the body use more energy than it is consuming, ie create a calorie defecit. That way, your body slowly takes the extra energy that it needs by feeding off the stored fat you have.

There are two basic ways to lose weight (or combination of both):

1. Increase the amount of energy that your body expends by doing cardiovascular excercise (running, swimming, cycling etc)
2. Reduce the amount of calories that you eat, by reducing the caloritic value of your food - not by reducing the volume of food.

When you eat a good, healthy and balanced diet, it is actually hard to put on weight because it is usually only the **** food that is high in calories. If you eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat and fish and not too may refined carbs, you will find it easy.

One big mistake people make is to be tempted to skip meals or hardly eat at all, with the idea that they'll lose weight that way. Unfortunately your body is too clever and if it sees that you are starving yourself, it slows down your metabolism (the rate at which you burn calories) in order to compensate. In this way, if you try and starve yourself, you could actually put more weight on rather than lose it!

The best way is to keep your metalbolism high by eating small healthy meals regularly, and doing plenty of excercise.

If you go by the Rule of keeping away from ALL processed food, snacks and confectionary and only eat fresh, wholesome, home cooked food, you'll find that the weight looks after itself.

Good luck mate!

LC
Old 30 November 2004, 01:51 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Fat from around the stomach is the first fat to be burned up when you start exercising - although the last few pounds are the hardest to get shot of.

Ditch White bread, drink apple juice (tends to go straight to your muscles to fuel them and also acts as an appetite supressant), drink plenty of cold water.

Incidentally - while running etc will burn loads of calories, training with heavy weights increases your metabolism, so you'll start burning more fat without even trying...
Old 30 November 2004, 01:55 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

6'1 and 13 stone doesnt seem too bad especially if you work out.
Old 30 November 2004, 02:16 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word - "diet".

Sorry, but you cannot spot-reduce fat naturally. Only way is liposuction. Men generally carry fat around their thighs, waist & chest. Your body will burn fat, it doesn't care if it's from your stomach or not. For me, fat goes from my legs, arms & chest way before it starts shifting from my stomach. Of course overly obese man will probably carry the largest percentage on their stomachs, so this would be more noticeable when it starts to go.

At 6'1" and 13 stone I can't see it being a problem. I'm 5'11" and weigh 80kg (about 12.5 stone IIRC). Your weight is fine for your height, but that never tells you the full story.

Trust me, I exercise 2hrs per day 6 days per week and I still carry more fat than I'd like (if I bother about looks).

You really need to look at your diet. Getting an ultra-ripped 6-pack usually means a ridiculously strict diet. Make sure you check all the sugar in your food as most processed stuff is packed with it.

When you train, make sure it's at a high-intensity to burn as much calories as possible in your available time.

My diet's ****, so I'm no good with tips. I did post a rough diet last year IIRC, so try a search on a thread started by Saxo Boy and you should find it.

Stefan

Last edited by ozzy; 30 November 2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 30 November 2004, 02:22 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

why do ppl answer the same questions that come up EVERY week on here?

if the poster cant be bothered to use google for decent advice or even use search on here you think he'll listen to your answers?
Old 30 November 2004, 02:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Probably not. I'm bored @ work is the reason I answered. There's always the dim hope that someone will listen
Old 30 November 2004, 02:50 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

go on atkins, that will budge it.
Old 30 November 2004, 02:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Probably not. I'm bored @ work is the reason I answered. There's always the dim hope that someone will listen

bored...fair enough

dim hope.....wrong, no hope and pointless.
Old 30 November 2004, 03:06 PM
colex
Scooby Regular

Well I haven't managed to get down that far yet but managed to get fat down from 33% to 25% (equated to about 50lbs) over a 3 month period. Best thing I did was to get a heart monitor and make sure my exercise stayed within the fat burn zone and exercise for at least an hour at a time and preferably 2 for 5 days out of 7.
That and as suggested keeping a log of what I ate and minimising fat intake.
Old 30 November 2004, 03:19 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

diet and more cardio...try the atkins as already suggested, worked for me. i went from 15.5 stone to just below 15 in a few weeks (5'9" tall) by cutting out carbs.
Old 30 November 2004, 04:54 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

It basically simple physics, burn more than you put in calorie wise and you force your body to fat burn. But be warned this feels unpleasant as your body try's to stop you doing this (basic survival reaction), you will feel tired lethargic and possibly dizzy cyclists call it the BONK!!! When you body runs out of carbohydrate and starts to burn fat.

Exercise wise you need to be exercising at a lower intensity for a longer period, aerobically.

Brisk walking for long periods believe it or not is a very effective way of losing weight or aerobic running/cycling ie below a heart rate 140bpm(dependant on age of course).
Old 30 November 2004, 05:38 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
What's the fastest way apart from liposuction
I work out 4 times a week but I just can't get rid of the fat around the tummy area. My diet is pretty healthy, no fizzy drinks, no sweets etc etc but I still can't make the fat reduce. Any tips?

BTW, I'm 6'1'' and 13 stone
your idea of a "pretty healthy" diet and mine are probably VERY different.

post up a sample day's diet, including macro-nutrient levels, and what you eat and when, and i'll tell you exactly where you're going wrong.
Old 30 November 2004, 05:42 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
why do ppl answer the same questions that come up EVERY week on here?
because

(a) we're helpful and
(b) its hilarious when someone reckons they have a "pretty good diet", and then find out otherwise after posting it up (this is pretty standard)
Old 30 November 2004, 05:49 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
because

(b) its hilarious when someone reckons they have a "pretty good diet", and then find out otherwise after posting it up (this is pretty standard)
So you're telling me that lard butties for breakfast, 17 pints of beer each evening, 4 cigarettes for lunch and a chocolate pizza for dinner are bad?
Old 30 November 2004, 05:49 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

the answer to all the questions is tons of illegal drugs and diet, train hard etc etc

Lets be honest about it
Old 30 November 2004, 05:50 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

doh - obviously where I'm going wrong then

chocolate pizza eh - I've had chocolate pasta but not pizza!!!
Old 30 November 2004, 05:51 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
doh - obviously where I'm going wrong then

chocolate pizza eh - I've had chocolate pasta but not pizza!!!
You don't know what you're missing then!
Old 30 November 2004, 05:54 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super_si
the answer to all the questions is tons of illegal drugs and diet, train hard etc etc

Lets be honest about it
it'll get you kicked out of WSM you know
Old 30 November 2004, 06:24 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

I posted a near identical thread to this about a year ago.

I went from 6' 3'' 15st + to around 13st 8lb ish at the minute and im now pretty fit by almost anyones standards.

Im no diet expert by any means but basically i just tried to cut what i would consider 'crap' out of my diet, no sugarry drinks, crisps etc. And then try to cut out cheese, mayonnaise and processed stuff. I still have pizza and the very odd burger but because i do so much exercise at a high intensity: gym, football and squash at a decent level my weight pretty much takes care of itself.

Unless you cant avoid eating like a horse or have aspirations of looking stupidly ripped its probably something worth considering.
Old 30 November 2004, 06:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

You are meant to carry some fat, being able to see veins, muscle and whatever else is not a natrual situation for your body to be in, might look good but its very hard to get and usually at expense of other aspects of your health, having seen what bodybuilders do to attain this look, you can keep it.

Thats not to say I couldnt do with loosing a few pounds.
Old 30 November 2004, 07:34 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
it'll get you kicked out of WSM you know
if only i was there golden boy to make an example off . Was reading some material, whats EPO and how would it aid a lifter? Seems to be one of the banned substances. rumor is he got busted for recreational use.......
Old 30 November 2004, 07:53 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

To be totally "ripped" and without fat is probably an unrealistic goal without going fairly fanatical about it. I'm ~6', about 11 1/2 stone, excercise fairly often and am reasonably fit. I still have a couple of small "fatty deposits", but I really can't believe I need to lose any weight. I lost a couple of stone by replacing fizzy drinks with water, stopping un-necessary snacks between meals, and exercise that was focussed at improving fitness rather than burning fat. (e.g. rowing for 15-30 minutes, keeping between 150 & 170 heart rate)

Quick Reply: Body Fat - How to lose/burn it