Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Formula Woman 2005...

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2004, 01:04 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Formula Woman 2005...

Karen's been successful in her application, and has qualified for the first round of driving tests, to take place early in 2005.

You're supposed to reply to the email with a code to confirm you want to continue, and then phone them to stump up some cash. (About £45).

She can't get through on the phone line as it's either always busy or it's in answerphone mode and no-one returns her messages. She's getting concerned she may miss out on her place if she can't get through in time.

Anyone else encountering such problems?

Cheers,
Squizz
(www.zed-power.co.uk for pictures of my missus driving our track 200SX)

Last edited by Squizz; 30 November 2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:14 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Do they have to cope with parallel parking in pit lane?
Old 30 November 2004, 01:41 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Heh, heh...

I'll let you ask someone like Sabine that question, whilst I run for cover.
Old 30 November 2004, 01:47 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Without wishing to cast aspersions, are you sure this is legitimate? There was something similar last year which turned out to be a scam. Hopefully, this isn't.
Old 30 November 2004, 02:06 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

From my (very well positioned) contacts in TV, I didn't think this had been recommissioned.

As far as I am aware the creator is off in the States trying to sell it over there.
Old 30 November 2004, 02:11 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Sqizz, serious question: why is she doing this?
Old 30 November 2004, 02:52 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Was there not a program last year on ITV or C5 (can't remember which) about Formula Women?

Is this the same one?

Darren
Old 30 November 2004, 02:52 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
From my (very well positioned) contacts in TV, I didn't think this had been recommissioned.

As far as I am aware the creator is off in the States trying to sell it over there.
All I can say is that she entered via the www.formulawoman.com website... Everything seems perfectly legitimate. (Which means jack, I know )

Originally Posted by Hoppy
She's a determined track driver and she thoroughly enjoys it. It's the chance to get loads of free tuition and possibly win a fantastic first prize. The 2004 winner has done lots of promo work for Mazda and has attended loads of different driving events (Autocar Sideways challenge, etc). She's also guaranteed further race drives.

Karen likes track driving as much as me. She's driven at LLandow, Hullavington, Mallory Park and the Nurburgring!

'Nuff said.

Squizz
Old 30 November 2004, 02:53 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
Was there not a program last year on ITV or C5 (can't remember which) about Formula Women?

Is this the same one?

Darren
Yup. One make race series for Mazda RX8's, driven by women.
Old 30 November 2004, 03:31 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

This is legitimate, my other half has also got through to the first round and whilst on the phone sorting out the ~£40 admin charge was told what she got for it. This includes during the first round assessment a timed karting session, assessed track session with instuctor and a couple of interviews/tests.

At the same time as she phoned up she was offered a track session with formula woman which she accepted. This was at donnington a couple of weeks ago and it was a bloody good day. 6 lasses driving in turn around donnington for the full day in 3 different cars (inc. 1995 WRX) with instuctors one of who is the owner/director of formula woman.

The Formula woman company is only 2 people, Graham Glew and one of the lasses who competed earlier this year who now works for Graham. She was at donnington and was really nice to talk to and really helpful. Whilst there we also saw 2 of the other competitors from this year.

I think they have had something like 11000 applications upto a fortnight ago and applications do not close until end dec04. Keep trying to get though I do know they are planning to hold numerous (100+) assessment days next year and the actual race season will likely be every 2 years as Mazda cannot afford for a dozon or so cars to be trashed every year.

All the above I was told at the track day and I believe it, they are a small set up well marketted with loads of backing. Keep trying with the phone you will get though.

Kev (not associated in any way to formula woman)
Old 30 November 2004, 03:37 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Okay, that's cool

It's just that with most reality TV shows I thought it was the participants that got paid. Apart from that, I think the last series made some girls look pretty daft a lot of the time. Tantrums, tears and silly crashes, confirming all the 'woman driver' cliches which was unfair. No men from similar backgrounds would have done any better.

It's no short-cut to success in motorsport, that's for sure, and that was certainly the hope from some participants. Look at it as light TV entertainment and it begins to make sense.

How much footage was there of the girls actually driving, compared with them, say, bitching about eachother, the food, their hair, the weather, or being thrown into a pool in the dark, then turned upside-down? Is this part of Michael Schumacher's daily routine? That has more to do with eating bugs in the jungle than motorsport. Except without the celebs.

I don't mean to pi55 on your fireworks, just looking at it from another angle. Good luck

Richard.
Old 30 November 2004, 03:46 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

It certainly is a lot about reality TV but as my other half said, the best you can do is get as far as possible without actually getting to the last few then you have had the most 'free' stuff without the hassle of the reality TV bit.

The track day was certainly well priced and using someone elses car meant that you didn't have the wear on your own. After just one track session she has come away a better driver. Lets see what the assessment rounds bring.

You have to be in it to win it. No point being boring all your life and only going for dead certain things.

Kev
Old 30 November 2004, 03:46 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo
This is legitimate, my other half has also got through to the first round and whilst on the phone sorting out the ~£40 admin charge was told what she got for it. This includes during the first round assessment a timed karting session, assessed track session with instuctor and a couple of interviews/tests.

At the same time as she phoned up she was offered a track session with formula woman which she accepted. This was at donnington a couple of weeks ago and it was a bloody good day. 6 lasses driving in turn around donnington for the full day in 3 different cars (inc. 1995 WRX) with instuctors one of who is the owner/director of formula woman.

The Formula woman company is only 2 people, Graham Glew and one of the lasses who competed earlier this year who now works for Graham. She was at donnington and was really nice to talk to and really helpful. Whilst there we also saw 2 of the other competitors from this year.

I think they have had something like 11000 applications upto a fortnight ago and applications do not close until end dec04. Keep trying to get though I do know they are planning to hold numerous (100+) assessment days next year and the actual race season will likely be every 2 years as Mazda cannot afford for a dozon or so cars to be trashed every year.

All the above I was told at the track day and I believe it, they are a small set up well marketted with loads of backing. Keep trying with the phone you will get though.

Kev (not associated in any way to formula woman)
Thanks for the info, Kev.
Old 30 November 2004, 04:04 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Kev,

I agree with your last para absolutely, and as long as you know what you're in for, go for it 100%.

I've been around motorsport quite a bit and it's full of dreamers. Usually well-off dreamers, but dreamers none-the-less.

There are lots of people who make very successful and luctrative careers in motor sport, but very, very few of them are drivers.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 30 November 2004, 04:26 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Yeah go for it. I used to work with the runner-up of the 2004 championship and she really enjoyed the experience.
Old 30 November 2004, 05:05 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

EDITTED - was reading wrong bit ?!?!?!

Mark
Old 30 November 2004, 07:22 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
...I used to work with the runner-up of the 2004 championship ...
Coincidence - I still do!
Old 01 December 2004, 08:28 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Contact made, and payment organised.
Old 01 December 2004, 08:34 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I have just applied, how long does it take for them to say yay or nay to the next stage from the application being sent?
Old 01 December 2004, 08:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Hoppy, light-hearted answer: she drove a Mazda RX8 on a computer game and she was rather good so she decided to do it with a real car. This doesnt sound out of the way to you does it.....?

Simon