Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Great britian prison statue

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2004, 07:58 AM
sciboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Great britian prison state

Read the papers this morning to see David blunkett new bill to bring in ID cards. He would like to make them compulsory for everybody, also he plans heavy fine for those that rebel against ID card of £2,500 as well as £1,000 fine for failing to informing officials of moving house.

Last edited by sciboy; 30 November 2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:13 AM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

What's that got to do with a statue then????

Old 30 November 2004, 09:24 AM
daiscooby
BANNED

Sciboy

Do you feel like Steve McQueen in the Great Escape now
Old 30 November 2004, 09:54 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Statues come after ID cards. You know like Nth. Korea, Iraq, Russia. ******* great statues of The Dear Leader.
Then all the little schoolkiddies have to sing songs praising The Dear Leader, Father Of The Nation.
I'm sure TB would love great big statues of himself erected by a "grateful populance".
Excuse me I don't feel well.
Old 30 November 2004, 10:24 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Yea well. According to some of the smart ***** on here you'll learn to love it, because you have no choice.

Welcome to the Third Term.
Old 30 November 2004, 11:58 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

I won't have one.

'Make' me.
Old 30 November 2004, 12:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i hope they are cool with a funky hologram or some wacky chip in them!

i want to walk into M&S and have the store know im there (minority report styleee)......hello Mr Tiggs, your pasta salad is ready for you!
Old 30 November 2004, 12:24 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

As I have pointed out in the past the path that we are taking is now very similar to that followed by Stalin. I am sure there are people such as Tiggs who will be all for it as they have nothing to fear. In any society there are always sheep and free thinkers and for those lacking the imagination to have their own ideas, beliefs and ambitions the security of a totally controlled environment is appealing. Mummy will look after you and determine your every move.

In saying that being a sheep doesn't make you safe, as many found out to their cost under both the Tsar and Stalin. Being a sheep just makes you easier to lead to the wall.

Your car is going to be fitted with a GPS tracking device so you can't go anywhere in it without being tracked and you are going to have to present your ID card to buy a ticket for public transport. In truth the Stalinist administration don't really need this information, they want it. You have to ask yourself exactly why they want it and what they are going to do with it when they get it. The one thing you can be assured of is that it will not be to your advantage.

I am examining the prospects of a move to a more liberal country. I don't mean lawless, I mean somewhere with significantly lower crime than the UK, with significantly more freedom than the UK and with no Stalinist administration to control the people. Luckily I am in a position to get in quite easily and am sizing up my options while it is still legal to do so. Anyone remember the Berlin Wall? Well, soon the UK might need one, not to keep people out but to keep people in, just like Stalin did.
Old 30 November 2004, 12:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
As I have pointed out in the past the path that we are taking is now very similar to that followed by Stalin. I am sure there are people such as Tiggs who will be all for it as they have nothing to fear. In any society there are always sheep and free thinkers and for those lacking the imagination to have their own ideas, beliefs and ambitions the security of a totally controlled environment is appealing. Mummy will look after you and determine your every move.

In saying that being a sheep doesn't make you safe, as many found out to their cost under both the Tsar and Stalin. Being a sheep just makes you easier to lead to the wall.

Your car is going to be fitted with a GPS tracking device so you can't go anywhere in it without being tracked and you are going to have to present your ID card to buy a ticket for public transport. In truth the Stalinist administration don't really need this information, they want it. You have to ask yourself exactly why they want it and what they are going to do with it when they get it. The one thing you can be assured of is that it will not be to your advantage.

I am examining the prospects of a move to a more liberal country. I don't mean lawless, I mean somewhere with significantly lower crime than the UK, with significantly more freedom than the UK and with no Stalinist administration to control the people. Luckily I am in a position to get in quite easily and am sizing up my options while it is still legal to do so. Anyone remember the Berlin Wall? Well, soon the UK might need one, not to keep people out but to keep people in, just like Stalin did.

lol, "sheep and free thinkers" and maybe you should add nut cases to your list of people types!

i'll carry on being a happy sheep, running my own business-in complete control of my life...living within my own limits- which break no laws and are therefore compatible with the law of the land.

you better run for it now before you need to risk the bard wire and security patrols on the wall!
Old 30 November 2004, 12:31 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an ID card already, its called a passport and it works outside britain as well as within. Quite a handy little device actually. Why would i want an identity card as well? I already have a driving licence that i usually use together with my passport if anybody should doubt my identity. I also have 2 other forms of official goverment identification, one of which i could travel on at a push and its not my passport. How many ****ing bits of officialdom do i really need to carry?
Old 30 November 2004, 12:38 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Just get a fake one like all the crims will, then it won't cost you much, and you can use someone elses identity
Old 30 November 2004, 01:19 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Angry

Unfortunatly Hanslow it will cost you quite a bit in Tax payers money spunked up the wall, just like every other project of this magnitude it will over spend be late and nothing lke the use it has been sold as.

also as you say the criminals will neatly by pass the system, probably with farcical ease leaving everyone else the hassle factor of proving it was not them who bought loads of things of credit, as there identity has been stolen, or getting out a near useless card to buy train tickets.

personally i hope they bring GPS trackers in and do away with all the speed cameras and police patrols, i have a very nice, unregistered racing car that i wouldn't mind speed testing on the newly emptied M6 while devoid of all police!! )
Old 30 November 2004, 05:25 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beastie
How many ****ing bits of officialdom do i really need to carry?
That's the point: currently you don't need to carry any of them. Yes, sometimes they are useful, but currently it is entirely voluntary to carry such things. But in the long term the plan is to MAKE you carry ID - effectively removing the Presumption of Innocence since you will be presumed to be a criminal until you can prove you are not. The theory is that it will stop fraud etc, but since crims will always be able to get fakes it will just be a way for the police to annoy people with dark skins or funny clothes.

M
Old 30 November 2004, 05:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm sure, as mentioned before, that the only people that will not be inconvenienced by these ID cards, will be the very people that they are being brought in to inconvenience - criminals and illegal immigrants.

If Blunkett can show me a country that has ID cards, which also has a lower crime rate than the UK and a reduced illegal immigration problem, I might be convinced that these cards will be worthwhile.