Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone got ntl broadband

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2004, 04:36 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone got ntl broadband

i want to get it and have been told you can get wireless connections... has anyone got one??

How much did it cost you??
Old 26 November 2004, 04:43 PM
MrFlibble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup. It's about £25/month for a 750 thingy connection (download @ approx 90kb/s). Wireless via Belkin router & wireless card from PC world (don't know current prices, but would guess @ <£200). Easy setup with Windows XP SP2.
Old 26 November 2004, 04:44 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

I have a wireless router plugged into my NTL broadband but NTL didn't supply it, I did. Cant remember the exact cost but twas less than £100 for the router and a card to go in my PC. Works fine which is more than I can say for NTL's customer services...
Old 26 November 2004, 04:50 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Apparently NTL are just upgrading their customer service stuff, so hopefully it'll improve soon (I'm not holding my breath though)...

I've got the 1.5Mb service, connected to a wireless router that I supplied myself. As said above, you can get the router and wireless cards at a quite reasonable price these days...
Old 26 November 2004, 04:54 PM
geeva
Scooby Regular

I have 750k broadband from NTL its £23 a month

getting it connected was a nightmare (mostly due to bad systems at NTL and hopeless helpdesk staff) , but now its up and running I have no problems

I don't have wireless yet , but my understanding is you can just plug whatever wireless router you choose into your cable modem and you are away
Old 26 November 2004, 04:55 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
i want to get it and have been told you can get wireless connections... has anyone got one??

How much did it cost you??
I have a linksys wireless router which cost about £60 at the time although that was at the beginning of this year so I expect it will be cheaper now. The 'matching' (although this isnt essential) linksys wireless cards for our laptops cost about 50 quid each, oh and a compact flash wireless card for my iPaQ was about 60 quid I think.

NTL service in general has been very good, its only when Im forced to speak to them that I start getting frustrated
Old 26 November 2004, 05:00 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I Have had NTL at home for about 9 months now and have never had a single problem it it installed and worked straight out of the box and has been faultless since so i have no idea how good/bad customer service is
Old 26 November 2004, 05:01 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattstant
I Have had NTL at home for about 9 months now and have never had a single problem it it installed and worked straight out of the box and has been faultless since so i have no idea how good/bad customer service is
Really? Have a go at changing your direct debit details if you want a bit of a laugh It'll keep you and their support people amused for months
Old 26 November 2004, 05:13 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I signed up for BB and a phone line at the same time and filled out the debit forms etc.

Only thing is that they collect the broadband via the direct debit ok, but they send me a bill each month for the phone. I've given up trying to get them to set up the dd for the phone as well (been trying on and off for 2 years) so send them off a cheque each month instead...
Old 26 November 2004, 05:17 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
Really? Have a go at changing your direct debit details if you want a bit of a laugh It'll keep you and their support people amused for months

funnily enough i just remember i had a direct debit problem recently which was my banks fault not there's and i phoned them up to "reset" the direct debit and it was the briefest and most efficient "support" call i have ever had to make.

Dont get me wrong i have heard plenty of horror stories but from my own personal experience they have been faultless.
Trouble is if nothing goes wrong with a service you rarely hear about it.

Even the cable installers were curteous and effecient to the point of sourcing some red tarmac for the 2' 6" trench across my path.
they had non at the time and disappeared with me thinking oh o wont be seeing them again but a few days later it was done without me even realising
Old 26 November 2004, 05:19 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

oh forgot to say we have bt broadband at work and it is sh1te never works at full speed slows to a crawl in the afternoons and sometimes takes several attempts to connect to the server
Old 26 November 2004, 05:21 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

£20 pm - 750k.

Great when its working.

Mostly poor service if you need to try and call someone.
Old 26 November 2004, 05:30 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattstant
oh forgot to say we have bt broadband at work and it is sh1te never works at full speed slows to a crawl in the afternoons and sometimes takes several attempts to connect to the server
I have NTl, brilliant,

BT on the other hand are plain ****e, your on a ratio, say your ratio is 1:25 and you get a 1MB service, it means 1mb shared by 25 people, so the more people on at any one time the slower your connection is gonna me, NTL on the other hand, you get for what you pay for, you pay for 1.5mb you get 1.5mb - 24/7/365
Old 26 November 2004, 05:36 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EvilKyote
I have NTl, brilliant,

BT on the other hand are plain ****e, your on a ratio, say your ratio is 1:25 and you get a 1MB service, it means 1mb shared by 25 people, so the more people on at any one time the slower your connection is gonna me, NTL on the other hand, you get for what you pay for, you pay for 1.5mb you get 1.5mb - 24/7/365
Err, no you don't. EVERYBODY is on "contention ratio's" cable is generally slighty better 20 or 30 to 1. ADSL generally worse 50 to 1.

EVEN kilostreams / megastreams are shared pipes...
Old 26 November 2004, 05:37 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

how did you get it at £20/month then? its supposed to be £24.99..??
Old 26 November 2004, 05:40 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
how did you get it at £20/month then? its supposed to be £24.99..??
I signed up many years ago, in the time NTL gave you the choice, rent or by a cable modem. I bought, £5 pm month cheaper. Cost £100 ish. Must have saved £100+ by now