Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Credit checks???

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2004, 12:49 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Credit checks???

I'm just in the process of tidying up my finances and I've found out that I have a credit card in my name at an unknown address

I called Experian last night to get my credit file but they were overloaded so I looked for them on the web instead. Experian charge £2.50 for the information but I found lots of other companies doing it for free on on a trial basis.

With all the fake web sites around and unknown companies that I found, I was reluctant to try any of them so I re-called the phone based version.

What struck me though, was that on the free sites at least, you could get your file with very little information. It looked like you could find out any bodies information if you had a name and address

Is this right???

F
Old 26 November 2004, 12:53 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Floyd
I'm just in the process of tidying up my finances and I've found out that I have a credit card in my name at an unknown address

I called Experian last night to get my credit file but they were overloaded so I looked for them on the web instead. Experian charge £2.50 for the information but I found lots of other companies doing it for free on on a trial basis.

With all the fake web sites around and unknown companies that I found, I was reluctant to try any of them so I re-called the phone based version.

What struck me though, was that on the free sites at least, you could get your file with very little information. It looked like you could find out any bodies information if you had a name and address

Is this right???

F
This may be the case for basic information although I would doubt you could access anything too sensitive regarding another person to be honest.

When I have done an online credit check with experian or equifax before they ask you a series of personal questions based on your credit file, i.e you have a credit card with a balance of £200, who is this card with etc or what was your the balance on your last statement from credit card company x

David
Old 26 November 2004, 01:16 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Hmm, but some of the other companies look a little lighter on info required...

I still don't trust some of the sites as genuine
F
Old 26 November 2004, 01:39 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Use Experian or Equifax, both have UK websites easily found with google. I would not use any other company.

Both companies by law have to supply you your record for a cost of £2. IIRC both offer you your file online at an additional cost (£11 I think)
Old 26 November 2004, 02:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Cam you get a credit check on anyone or just a personal one.

Chip
Old 26 November 2004, 02:02 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Cam you get a credit check on anyone or just a personal one.

Chip
Just personal as far as members of the public are concerned. Obviously the big lenders etc have ways to reference people's credit files in order to make decisions on applications etc.
Old 26 November 2004, 02:17 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of trying a free site on a random person from the electeral role

F