Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had a Hiatal Hernia? And what were the symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2004, 10:22 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

It could be. Have a read: http://www.hernia.org/hiatus.html

Steve.
Old 26 November 2004, 11:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It could be the Hernia B2Z or it could also be what I have and is fairly common these days. It is acid resurgence from the stomach because the one way valve is not doing the job to stop the stomach acid coming up the oesophagus and causing irritation. I had the same symptoms as you and it used to bother me on the 'bike as well because I was leaning foward. They might suggest an examination of your throat with an endoscope, not as bad as it sounds and if that is the problem you get some pills which stop the trouble instantly. They are tiny pills but you will have to take one every day for the future.

I have never had any problem since unless I forget to take the pill and it soon reminds me.

Hope the family doing well.

Les
Old 26 November 2004, 11:33 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell, I suffered from this last week. All started with a bit of tactical chunder on the previous Sat night

Got some big anti acid tabs supplied by the quacks and cleared up in a couple of days.
Old 26 November 2004, 11:37 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Zoton (lansaprozole or something) is what you need. And a camera down your throat to check you haven't got an ulcer.

If you have a hiatus hernia you'll have two choices: keep taking pills forever or have a difficult and dangerous operation with no guarantee of success. I took the former option
Old 26 November 2004, 11:38 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Check out my post in the Egg Allergy thread. Similar symptoms, but no a hernia in the end, fortunately!

Edit:

Originally Posted by carl
Zoton (lansaprozole or something) is what you need. And a camera down your throat to check you haven't got an ulcer.
Yep Lansoprazole. That's the stuff they gave me, although my problem wasn't a hernia in the end

Last edited by ajm; 26 November 2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 26 November 2004, 12:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
It could be the Hernia B2Z or it could also be what I have and is fairly common these days. It is acid resurgence from the stomach because the one way valve is not doing the job to stop the stomach acid coming up the oesophagus and causing irritation. I had the same symptoms as you and it used to bother me on the 'bike as well because I was leaning foward. They might suggest an examination of your throat with an endoscope, not as bad as it sounds and if that is the problem you get some pills which stop the trouble instantly. They are tiny pills but you will have to take one every day for the future.

I have never had any problem since unless I forget to take the pill and it soon reminds me.

Hope the family doing well.

Les
Sounds similar to what I have when eating wheat products. For ages I would be eating shreddies with my daughter in the morning and by mid morning I'd be in alot of pain with this jumping acid in my throat. Went through no end of bottles of Gaviscon until someone suggested I stopped eating the shreddies and its more or less gone. Unfortunately this also means sandwiches, some pasta and basically anything containing wheat is out unless I've got a family size bottle of gaviscon on standby.
Old 26 November 2004, 12:29 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

My Dad has one and used to have very similar symptoms. Now takes the drugs, problem gone. Did have his Gall Bladder removed a while back as well though

I'm concerned I might have it one day, apparently it can be heriditary, and I do get acid indigestion / heartburn sometimes. Usually stress related though or down to something I've ate.
Old 26 November 2004, 12:58 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Could well be a hiatus hernia. I have a mild one ( Yes Graz there is a high hereidtary correlation -all my family has them and they tend to get worse as you get older) and get acid reflux if I stuff myself especially with greasy food/booze and then lie down straight away.

Could also be a low grade stomach ulcer and /or a combination of the two which i've also had. Losec is the daddy there - it's a proton pump inhibitor, which basically means it turns the acid production down in your stomach so there's less to irritate the stomach walls / oesophagus. I get givenm a two week course of one daily, but find that 2 or 3 tablets and it's gone. If it's just a hernia it can be sorted with a simple op too- keyhole usually these days.Contrary to the above, if mine was a regular problem I'd rather have a one off op rather than take tablets forever, but then I've had 12 or so ops on just my knee so I'm kind of used to them.

The scary chest pains, pins and needles,arm pains etc are caused by the vagal nerve which runs next to the stomach up through the diaphragm, next to the oesophagus, which is also the one that let's you know when you're having a cardiac issue and is why you can get scarily similar symptoms to a heart attack particularly with the ulcer/hernia combo.The best test is do the symptoms decline with exercise ie walking up stairs ? For stomach/ hernia issue the answer is usually yes, for cardiovascular related issues the answer is no.

Quick fixes - Liquid gaviscon available over the counter for the acid reflux, pair of bricks under the head end of the bed, cut down or out for a while the greasy foods, alcohol, coffee etc, plus definitely go and see your doc.
Old 26 November 2004, 01:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign68.pdf
Old 26 November 2004, 01:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You must either have a crap doctor or bother them about a lot of self limiting trivia if they always tell you to take paracetamol Quality clinical management of this problem in general practice in Scotland is generally based around the above guidance, English guidance is virtually no different.
Old 26 November 2004, 01:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You must either have a crap doctor or bother them about a lot of self limiting trivia if they always tell you to take paracetamol
Well said John.....
Old 26 November 2004, 01:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned the first thing my doctor told me when I had similar: It is hugely affected by being overweight.

Basically, men put weight on around their internal organs, (visceral fat), which tends to limit the space available for them a bit

When bending forwards, lying down etc, the stomach is pushed up through the hole in the diaphragm, with the acid resurgence mentioned.
it happens to me if I let my weight go over 12 stone, as I'm only a little bloke at 5foot 8"

I usually take Gaviscon tablets, and start losing weight again
Which reminds me, where's that blasted diet sheet gone?

Alcazar
Old 26 November 2004, 01:39 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I often wonder this, as a GP what proportion of patients turn up with short term self healing ailments like colds for which you can do nothing other to advise them to go home and get some rest?

That would do my head in!
Old 26 November 2004, 01:53 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned the first thing my doctor told me when I had similar: It is hugely affected by being overweight.
Well I didn't want to admit to that part
Old 26 November 2004, 02:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

ajm, about 50%, depending on the area (broadly speaking it is really what you would imagine... posh area = lots of internet printout clutching cancer phobic "worried well" patients, less posh area = lots of home visit requests for mildly unwell children and no money to get paracetamol for them but seem to have enough to afford ****). Maybe I overestimate, but you tend to remember the patients that treat you like s**t rather than the majority who are nice people. There is some skill in weeding out the wheat from the chaff so to speak. We also make allowances for people being nasty because they are unwell or anxious. Like any unlimited access public funded service really, there is often no connection between personal responibility and service usage.
Old 26 November 2004, 02:13 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
ajm, about 50%
Not far off what I was thinking actually, based on a quick "visual poll" of the waiting room last time I went to the Doctors!

LOL @ internet printouts! I can imagine that is a problem, however you must have had a few turn up having correctly diagnosed themselves surely? (or is it just me that can do that? )

I must admit, I always try to heal myself first, sometimes with info from the internet, and I wait until death's door before rarely having to admit defeat which is probably no better but at least diagnosis is easy when I finally do arrive at your door!
Old 26 November 2004, 02:38 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

and now the truth emerges!
Old 26 November 2004, 04:47 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I also find that alcohol doesn't help.
Old 26 November 2004, 05:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Zoton was what I was prescribed at first and I am now on Rabetzoprole which does the same job

Best stay off the aspirin until it is all sorted too B2Z.

Les
Old 26 November 2004, 06:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Be careful with the self diagnosis, I decided I was a Diabetic menopausal woman last week !

I had the heartburn thing, It was horrible and the doctor told me a right load of crap about being overweight, I wasnt really at the time but the reflux does tend to make you eat to calm it down, everybody gets it a bit if they hammer the beer and ****, eat Vindaloo for brekkie but I was really careful yet still ended up doubled over at the slightest thing, troffing Gaviscom, my mum suffered with this for years until the doctor screened her for Heliocobacter Pylori, a stomach borne virus that surprised medical science when it appeared as it was beleived that nothing could survive in stomach acid, anyway both my mum and myself saw massive improvements following a course of strong antibiotics, two types plus the Losec/Lansoprazole stuff.

Made a big difference to me as it was really really painful, you ont realise how much pain you were in till its gone so possibly drop this into the conversation with the GP, I mentioned it to a bloke at work who was suffering badly, but he is a small fat bloke in his late forties so the doc told him the usual, dont eat spicy foods, get some exercise, sleep at an angle (WTF !) and dont drink beer, he went straight to the doctor and asked to be screened, sure enough he was positive and it sorted him out.

I am sure doctors live to tell you to lose weight, even what I would term normal weight people get told the sam, hmm, you are a few pounds overweight, hmm could be that I am wearing some huge caterpillar boots, heavy jeans, a jumper and a jacket harbouring 2 mobiles, an Ipod, wallet (v heavy), USB flash drive and the complete works of Steven King, there is actually only 12 stone of 16 that is actually me.

Had a new doctor, straight from training, tested me for everything, put the ***** up me, all sorts of heart monitors, ecg, blood gases, blood pressure etc etc, I was worried what she thought she had spotted, anyway I had slightly high blood pressure, not as high as hers when she knocked my urine sample all over her desk, dont know why she felt the need to stare at it.
Old 26 November 2004, 07:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
The worst bit - he said keep off the curries and beer Well better finish off what i've got in the fridge first then so beer and curry for dinner
and the chocolates! We haven't forgetten about the chocolates!!!
Old 26 November 2004, 07:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

On balance, Curry and Beer is worth the pain !

Just ordered ours !
Old 26 November 2004, 10:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Basically, men put weight on around their internal organs, (visceral fat), which tends to limit the space available for them a bit

When bending forwards, lying down etc, the stomach is pushed up through the hole in the diaphragm, with the acid resurgence mentioned.
it happens to me if I let my weight go over 12 stone, as I'm only a little bloke at 5foot 8"

I usually take Gaviscon tablets, and start losing weight again
Which reminds me, where's that blasted diet sheet gone?

Alcazar
12 stone & 5' 8"

you need to see a quack pronto....

i,m 5'5" and 12 8 and dont suffer !!!

mind you what i dont do in **** an booze, i can make up for with pizza & polos!!

Mart

Quick Reply: Anyone had a Hiatal Hernia? And what were the symptoms?