warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mall of America is it!!!!!
Old 25 November 2004, 01:23 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Dunno, never been.... anyway, more importantly.... will you have internet access while you are there? A week without B2Z, how will we manage?
Old 25 November 2004, 01:27 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I've been there. Well, to St Pauls airport for about 3 hours waiting for another flight. It was summer so no snow and it looked mighty leafy, low rise, and pleasant from the air.

Oh yea, I flew direct from Gatwick. About 7 hours IIRC
Old 25 November 2004, 01:41 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Oh and are there powerpoints on planes these days for plugging my laptop into? Haven't been on a long haul for years and years and am dreading it.
Fine, i'll go. Maybe you'd be happier up to your ears in wee and pooey nappies
Old 25 November 2004, 02:29 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Used to work for West (part of Thomson) who have a Head Office there. I was in the Embassy Suites for 3 and half weeks (free drinks every night from 5 till 7 ).. Believe me, this was more than enough time in the Midwest for one lifetime despite the free booze

To be fair, the Mall of America is HUGE and has great shopping (especially at current exchange rates) as well as loads of restaurants and even a theme park inside (Camp Snoopy!). I didn't get the impression there was much real culture on offer! People were very friendly, many with that odd Fargo-esque scandinavian twang (and a few nice Nordic-looking blondes).. Not particularly "world-wise" though, unsurprisingly enough!

It will be ridiculously cold but you don't have to go outside though (there's lots of covered walkways everywhere). West even had a bus to take you to the front door from their office car park to save you dying of cold when walking 100 yards!

Try and go to a big sporting event if you can. We went to a college US football game and there were about 70,000 people there. The cheerleaders were tops..ding dang doo!
Old 25 November 2004, 02:48 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Good luck anyway. St Paul is a bit nicer than Minnesota I seem to remember. Ice Hockey is great fun in the States..loads of fights (saw the NJ Devils play once).. Bet you can go to something really odd like a tractor pull or Monster Truck show in the midwest too!