Van Mag

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2004, 10:03 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van Mag

Morning All,

Feeling a bit down in the dumps because I sold my Scoob on Tuesday.

But at least now that its gone I can start thinking about a replacement. Yes an STi would be nice, and maybe that's what I'll get.

But I've also been looking at alternatives. Since I can't seem to find anyone selling a HumVee version 1 (not the poncy H2), I've been trying to see what is the biggest RHD pickup I can buy new in the UK.

I will be moving house and, living alone in suburbia soon, I will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle that can seat 12 and cross arctic tundra. And of course a big vehicle like this is nicely environmentally unconcious and puts the crumple zone firmly inside the other vehicle

Unfortunately "What Car" don't talk about pickups. I beileve there is a mag called "What Van" but I've never seen it, and my Smiths dont have it.

I quite like the look of the Toyota (is it called a Warrior?) but can't find any decent independent reviews of it.

Anyone on here into pickups? Of course I'll need the the option pack of the the blue dungarees, straw hat and piglet.

Cheers!
Old 25 November 2004, 10:41 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help with the vehicles, but don't forget to marry your cousin also.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:00 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Mitsubishi L200 is the Warrior, was also available as the Animal (less chrome) and the rather gaily titled 4Life. They're all slow as ****, even with the turbo, and very thirsty. We used to run them as works vehicles at my old job. Better bet is the Toyota Hi-Lux, better all round, although I'm not sure if there is a 4 seater version of these, or the Nissan thingy (can't remember the name but all the lads at work were after these 'cos apparently they're faster and more economical) that looks the same.

HTH
Old 25 November 2004, 11:00 AM
Peccant
Scooby Regular

you need one of these: http://www.americancarimports.co.uk/

Old 25 November 2004, 11:41 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The only four wheel drive I know that seats close to 12 is the Land Rover Defender 110, but then that is the station wagon version (11 seats but will take 12 at a push).

Biggest pickup at the moment is the Isuzu Rodeo Denver. Nice piece of kit, lots of goodies on the high spec Denver, more power than the L200 (130hp vs 115hp, though the Navara is 133hp, Hilux only 102hp), larger cabin than anything else available (Hilux, Navara, L200 & Ranger are all smaller inside), and cheapish in comparison.

Need to know anythingmore let me know.

Last edited by Reffro; 25 November 2004 at 11:44 AM.