SLY ebay

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 10:49 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLY ebay

it has happened 3 times now and i just figured out what happened

imagine a seller has something for sale.
he has no bids except yours (1 bidder)
obviously he wants to get as much money as he can.
so what can he do?
if you're the only bidder.
have a new account (username) put a last minute bid in at any price,
and YOUR max bid will try to beat his,
ie , start price £5, your max bid £10.
you are the only bidder at £5 so you think to yourself you might win it at £5
however "new" bidder bids at £x price (lets say £20)
ebay auto bidding will bid YOUR bid to the maximum £10, BUT the new bidder should be have won at £11

ok, you have lost the auction, happens all the time.
BUT you get an email, to say the winner backed out, and YOU get a 2nd chance to buy it at.....yes that right £10

happened to me a few times, AND just now,. my max bid was £20 , lost to someone at £21,
BUT get a 2nd chance email.
BUT again!! read the feedback on the actual winner. and he got a positive feedback on the product he backed out!!!!

SO the seller is trying to flog another one to avoid ebay fees

its a sly sly world
Old 24 November 2004, 11:00 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold a Mini Manual to a guy that lost an auction for one on ebay, I just mailed him direct and he bought it, easy, just using initiative really, and saved myself a few quid.... the original auction was nothing to do with me though, I just happened to have an item the same as someone else was selling...
Old 24 November 2004, 11:05 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Seems to ber the standard way of working there mate - that's why I bid manually for 'traders'. You often get a 'second chance offer' when they are selling many of the same item.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:55 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

nothing wrong with that.. as long as its not the seller bumping up the price with a spare id of theirs...
On the rare occasions i list records with auctions rather than buy it nows, i will often mail the 2nd and 3rd highest bidders offering them a copy.
If that was your max bid, and they are offering you at that price, then whats the problem?
- ebay listing+final value +paypal fees are incredibly high!
Old 25 November 2004, 12:04 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
nothing wrong with that.. as long as its not the seller bumping up the price with a spare id of theirs...
On the rare occasions i list records with auctions rather than buy it nows, i will often mail the 2nd and 3rd highest bidders offering them a copy.
If that was your max bid, and they are offering you at that price, then whats the problem?
- ebay listing+final value +paypal fees are incredibly high!

actually thats what i thought they ARE doing
bump up the price then pull out, and ask do you want it at the max price YOU bid for
Old 25 November 2004, 12:07 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

well you bid that price as the maximum you were prepared to pay... so whats the problem?
If they didnt do that they would just pull the auction before it ended or set a reserve or staring price if they werent happy with the price.
Its risky getting prices bumped- ebay are wise to it and its cause for immediate suspension
Old 25 November 2004, 12:10 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I've given people second chance offers in the past because the high bidder was a scammer or just some fruitcake or kid playing games. I've even been accused of hyping when I don't ever do such stuff.

I don't bother giving second chances now as the bidders get their rocks off bidding against someone else. I offered a lady a direct sale the other day at £130 after she lost an auction but she declined. I auctioned more of the stock later and she paid £145 on the final bid???
Old 25 November 2004, 12:16 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
well you bid that price as the maximum you were prepared to pay... so whats the problem?
If they didnt do that they would just pull the auction before it ended or set a reserve or staring price if they werent happy with the price.
Its risky getting prices bumped- ebay are wise to it and its cause for immediate suspension

because its sly
Old 25 November 2004, 12:17 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
I've given people second chance offers in the past because the high bidder was a scammer or just some fruitcake or kid playing games. I've even been accused of hyping when I don't ever do such stuff.

I don't bother giving second chances now as the bidders get their rocks off bidding against someone else. I offered a lady a direct sale the other day at £130 after she lost an auction but she declined. I auctioned more of the stock later and she paid £145 on the final bid???

BUT the seller is a shop in brum,
he SOLD it to the high bidder, and wants to sell the same thing again, without the ebay fees

he already got 10 more listed,
Old 25 November 2004, 01:23 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
BUT the seller is a shop in brum,
he SOLD it to the high bidder, and wants to sell the same thing again, without the ebay fees

he already got 10 more listed,
Yeah, I just read that again. That is a sly one and I wouldn't do anyhting like that. But I have offered stuff to people direct when they have asked for it first.

You could always give him a lower offer and see if he takes it as he doesnt have to pay Ebay's fees.