Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That Fallujah shooting - the cameraman's version

http://www.kevinsites.net/
Old 23 November 2004, 10:51 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

load of cr@p IMHO

War is war, people die. Especially those who put themselves in the firing line. No sympathy from me i'm sorry.

Chopper
Old 23 November 2004, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That is a totally irresponsible statement and bears no relation to real life as far as the conventions of civilised behaviour are concerned.

Also why apologise for your lack of sympathy, or is your conscience bothering you?

Les
Old 23 November 2004, 11:30 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Have a read, Tiggs.
Old 23 November 2004, 12:02 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Wars a dirty thing eh? keep well away!
Old 23 November 2004, 12:11 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Who are we to judge what the Marine did? It's not like when they were abusing people in Abu Ghraib prison, this was a combat situation where his life is in constant danger. Several wounded people have been booby trapped, or waiting for soldiers to turn up before blowing themselves up.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but not a luxury for frontline soldiers.

Let us not forget that the general order for 6th June 1994 was NO prisoners for the first 24 hrs. Anyone surrendering was either shot on the spot, or passed to special units in the rear who did it for them. War is **** unfortunately, being civilised is not always relevant.

Geezer
Old 23 November 2004, 12:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

interesting.

although, while it seems they were the treated from a previous battle, this marine didnt know and it looks like he was thinking the marines that just left had killed them all....he sees one still alive and kills him.

this must happen all the time in war?

pity the camera was there at all.

T
Old 23 November 2004, 12:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer
Let us not forget that the general order for 6th June 1994 was NO prisoners for the first 24 hrs. Anyone surrendering was either shot on the spot, or passed to special units in the rear who did it for them.
To counter your particular example, the laws of war have developed a lot since that time. I've said before, the Dam Busters raid that we Brits all love would probably be considered a war crime today (attacking power stations and energy sources - I say "probably" as the Ruhr was the industrial sector, so it wasn't just knocking a town out, perhaps there was military justification).

But, as others suggest, the gist is, it's not what you do, it's whether you are caught doing it.
Old 23 November 2004, 01:27 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth

F
Old 23 November 2004, 01:50 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
That is a totally irresponsible statement and bears no relation to real life as far as the conventions of civilised behaviour are concerned.

Also why apologise for your lack of sympathy, or is your conscience bothering you?

Les
Fair play Les you are entitled to your opinion

My conscience isn't bothering me at all I wouldn't call what these insurgents are doing 'civilised behaviour', if they die fighting the Americans or the Brits then so be it. It doesn't concern or worry me at all.

As I said War is war, people die fighting for something they believe in. In war the only rule in my opinion is survival.

May sound a little harsh but it is easy to sit at a desk and argue the rights and wrongs of War, put yourself in these brave soilders shoes in the battlefield and then talk about 'civilised behaviour'.

chopper
Old 23 November 2004, 02:13 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

although, while it seems they were the treated from a previous battle, this marine didnt know and it looks like he was thinking the marines that just left had killed them all....he sees one still alive and kills him.
You've no idea whether that marine knew that or not. Sites had already said to the marines they were the injured left over before that guy is shot. Others were also shot but those incidents were not caught on camera.

War is war? I love that statement.

When 2 planes went into the WTC how many of you would have said the same?

Oh no, I forgot, that was terrorism.

Terrorism = evil uncivilised murdering inhuman scum

War = stuff happens

Last edited by gsm1; 23 November 2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 23 November 2004, 02:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
You've no idea whether that marine knew that or not. Sites has already said to the marines they were the injured left over before that guy is shot. Others were also shot but those incidents were not caught on camera.

War is war? I love that statement.

When 2 planes went into the WTC how many of you would have said the same?

Oh no, I forgot, that was terrorism.

Terrorism = evil uncivilised murdering inhuman scum

War = stuff happens
when two planes went into the WTC just under 3,000 inncoent people died.

The marine(s) have shot the enemy in a combat situation, the people in WTC were not fighting anything.

If they damn idiots don't want to be shot by the marines then don't fight them. If they die doing that then tough luck, they KNEW the risks.

It sickens me that you can even compare the two.

Chopper
Old 23 November 2004, 02:53 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Reading the cameraman's own words is very interesting. He was not some rookie who had never been in those situations before, he'd been reporting from the front line for about 5 years. He'd also been embedded with the Marines in Fallujah for weeks. He also said it was not a "gotcha" reporter, not hoping for someone to commit a wrongdoing that he could catch it on camera.

Chopper, should anyone die who does not need to die? We have no idea if the guy killed was a fighter or completely innocent. They had been wounded the day before and their wounds tended to by US Marine paramedics. The guy was incapacitated and made no sudden movements. What the marine was thinking we don't know.

The facts will speak for themselves when the guy faces charges infront of a military tribuneral.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its just that I put a high value on Human life Chopper, dont like to write it off that easily.

I think war is obscene and should be avoided-this war should never have been started as well as it being illegal as we all know.

We only get one life as far as we know and it a big thing to lose.

I spent enough time in the front line too!

Les
Old 25 November 2004, 12:17 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Ok I have stressed my views on another thread on this and wont detail them here.

'War is war' is not a saying I like. Consideration and compasion can be given to a fallen enemy. They are human beings at the end of the day, and deserve the respect and honour accordingly.

War can be insiduous and cynical, in Bosnia we had a practice of handing out sweets to local children as our transports passed by. The local 'insurgents' got to hear of this and would encourgae the older kids to use syringes from a local medical waste dump like darts. So that soon stopped.

This work is stressful and hard enough in training. anyone who has done there CQB trianing will know. But where the enemy is entwinned with the local population and in civilian attire it is doubled.

I have previously stated cannot blame the individual Marines. Poor training and leadership is at fault. But as also previously voiced that is indicative of all U.S. units I trained and served alongside.

And the over riding feeling I have is that the camera crew should not be 'embedded' in a unit engaged in this work. That is the real crime