Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chief Constable's Car Caught Speeding at Nearly 100mph

One rule for us ............

http://www.speedsafe.co.uk/news.php#news77
Old 20 November 2004, 08:03 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Shame it will be the chauffeur that will end up getting points if the prosecusion goes ahead, but why wasn't the chief Contstable telling him to slow down ?

Richard
Old 20 November 2004, 11:16 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Having read some of the articles on that web site, it amazes me that all of them claim that it's speed that kills. What utter crap.

No mention of the incredibly poor standard of driving on our roads. For gods sake these Police Cu*tstables and politicians should wake up and smell the roses, tw*ts all of them.
Old 20 November 2004, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If, as all these people claim, "the buck stops here" then he should be shown the door for hypocrisy and a poor example to us all.

Les
Old 20 November 2004, 12:17 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Another case of one rule 4 us and another for them.

Only difference between a Copper and Dick Turpin is.

A copper has a badge to say he can get away with being a crook, Dick turpin didn,t.

And before any of the police community climb up on there high horse, suggest u go and sit outside Shrewsbury Police club in monkmoor and see what the state some of your fellow officers turn out .

1, Come out of club in.

2, Get in there car and drive home.

Rant mode off
Old 20 November 2004, 12:38 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Not related to this but what the hell were traffic coppers doing last night on the A406 near Newham? It was standstill for close to 4 hours with no bloody plan on how to divert traffic.
Old 20 November 2004, 01:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a serious accident (read carnage & death) on the A406 (North Circular) westbound between the exit slip from the M11 and the Woodford turn off.

I hit the A102(M)/A12 at about 20:20 & exited at the Leytonstone/Whipps Cross exit about 22:20 4 miles? Anything going up to the Redbridge was buggered.

What I think they did was shut the A406 @ Redbridge denying M11 commuters that exit because they couldn't let people round the N Circ & whats to differentiate between them. I presume they were directed out the A12 to the M25, so they could double back & round to M11 that way.

When I did come off @ Whipps Cross & round the back of the common to the Woodford slip road heading East onto the M11 there was NO traffic at all (just goes to show that a lot of people just prefer to sit in traffic than seek alternate routes) & I went past the accident scene. There were still 2 cars there. 1 looked like it had T-boned the other at speed because the first one was 1/2 its proper length & the 2nd looked like it had been flattened in the middle Debris all over the place.

I got onto the M11 no problem but the plod had shut the m/way just past J5 and were directing s/bound traffic round the police complex & back up the M11 to J5. After that queue of a mile or so, there was no further s/bound traffic until HARLOW because the r/works people had shut the M11 for changes to the roadworks It was really eerie driving up a virtually empty motorway with no oncoming traffic.

I feel sorry for the poor sods who had broken down, there were about 1/2 dozen on the last stretch of the M11 (J5-4) who had likely been there ages & would likely stay there for ages more - it was close to freezing.

One of the worst going home experiences in 5years of commuting that route but the plod were only doing their best & had obviously to deal with a tragic accident
Old 20 November 2004, 01:09 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4027399.stm
Old 20 November 2004, 02:27 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Flipping heck. The road is 5 lanes wide there with the average speed 70 MPH. WTF was the driver thinking????
Old 20 November 2004, 03:19 PM
morphyous
Scooby Regular

Talking advanced

I think that the speed you are allowed to do should be related to your skill as a driver. If you have a basic driving pass you must stick to the national speed limits.
However people with an advanced driving qualification should be able to travel at the speeds they like. My reasoning for this, is that advanced driving courses teach drivers to drive to the road conditions and circumstances which prevail. In my opinion 30 mph in my local highstreet is too fast but I am allowed to do it. 70 mph at three in the morning on a motorway is a joke.

Why not encourage people to enhance their driving skills and also give them an incentive to do it. Hence better motorists, less accidents, less jams, more driving pleasure, are ideas like this beyond the intelligence of mp's?
Old 20 November 2004, 04:27 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I think instead of condeming the man we should be praising him for accepting that there is a safe speed for the conditions and that, in some conditions, this speed is certainly more than 70mph on a motorway. It is, of course, certainly less than 70mph on the motorway in some conditions.

We should also be asking when this extended speed limit is going to apply to us.

It is interesting that, despite assurances to the contary, he most certainly didn't kill himself or anyone else and neither was all the oxygen sucked from his lungs. Clearly speed does not kill so we can get rid of the man with the red flag then.
Old 20 November 2004, 04:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

hang on......whats the problem?

he wasnt driving

and you all say 100 is safe

and the driver will get the points

so what are you moaning about???
Old 20 November 2004, 05:33 PM
catherine666
Scooby Regular

97 Mph?? Is that all??

Old 20 November 2004, 06:45 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I think i proves that the Police only have speed Camera's to raise revenue as they have proved yet again that speed doesnt kill.

In fact surely now we can prove it is safe to speed by the fact that 2 million people are fined for speeding each year but only 7.3% of 3500 killed on the roads are killed by excess speed. in fact the probablility of being killed by excess speed is probably less than wining the lottery if you work out how many miles are traveled in excess of the limit against how many are killed.