Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are all car/van windscreens Laminated?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2004, 11:21 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Are all car/van windscreens Laminated?

I happened to be watching Road Wars on Sky 1 (repeat I know) last night.

I noticed that at the start was a Leyland Daf 400 van being "persued" and the driver was aprehended by smashing the side window. However the front windscreen was also smashed by baton weilding copper. And it went Straight though! - The windscreen was only a single pane tempered glass

Now let me get this striaght, a Leyland Daf 400 is by no means a really old van, I think they dated from around 1989 to 1994. I know that its Frieght Rover and Sherpa legacy went well before that and is pretty much unchanged from the 70's. It's still in production toady as the LDV pilot - with what looks like the exact same windscreen design.

But no laminated glass windscreen? I was sure this was some sort of mandatory industry requirement and was put in force in the late 70's?

Laminated being 2 panes of toughened glass with a plastic membrane in the middle separating them.

So, do the current LDV's still only use single pane tempered glass windscreens still? Or have they amended their arc-age ways of production and materials and now fit laminated screen??

Anyone else know any other cars or vans without laminated windscreens still in production, or made in the past 15 or so years?

Quite a worrying thought if your going down the motorway and a Chav throws a brick at you from a bridge!

Last edited by Shark Man; 19 November 2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 19 November 2004, 09:21 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

How did I know this thread was dead before I posted it?

Not many LDV owners about then I see . I wonder why? Couldn't be that they are a ancient ****e relic of the old BL empire (!??!)

Does anyone care that there possibly is cars/vans out there on the road that have windscreens not impervious to a Chav/bridge/brick attack?
Old 19 November 2004, 11:48 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Some ldv or sherpa as they used to be had toughened glass but most would be laminate by now

I have a g reg ambulance and it is laminated and it also has a stonking v8 in the front
Old 20 November 2004, 01:00 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by pugoetru
it also has a stonking v8 in the front
That's the ticket! Just think what sort of a camper van that'll make one its NHS days are over, lol
Old 20 November 2004, 10:37 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I always though that if your head went through a laminated windscreen you'd end up with a very tight glass necklace.
Old 20 November 2004, 10:42 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Actually, the legacy of the LDV goes back further than the 70's, the Sherpa itself was based on the Morris vans of the 50's which in turn carried over parts from vans made in the 30's. The front suspension is almost entirely carried over from the original 30's design.

</anorak>