Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flying or Owning A Microlight 4 Commute to work

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2004, 01:16 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Flying or Owning A Microlight 4 Commute to work

I was thinking can I just buy a microlight and start using it to fly to work and back (would be over Bradford and Leeds)?

I would then beat all the traffic and it would be cheap to run.

I live on a long hill so taking off would not be a problem and could land in the the works ground or land on the roof of the building

If radar is a problem and needing to get flight clearance then can't you just fly along at house height?

Only concern would be any strong winds, can be pretty exposed to the elements where I live.

Oh, I presume I don't need road fund license for one of these

Damian.
Old 18 November 2004, 01:24 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Apart from all the witty sarcastic responses (!), I believe that you are not allowed to fly over an area that has a certain amount of buildings. So depending on where you work that would probably rule that out.

If you can be bothered, have a read: http://www.microlighthangar.co.uk/mlfaq.htm

Steve.
Old 18 November 2004, 02:23 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damian: A total non starter. Lots of days you would not get to work and lots of days you would not be able to take off for home. Weather considerations. Typically the cross wind component on these is less than 15kts. Then there are the visibility constraints relevant to horizontal viz and cloud base.
Even if weather was not a consideration you are probably within the Leeds Bradford TMA so again you are constrained.
20 years ago you could fly a microlite without a licence and there were very few restrictions. Now it is heavily regulated as are the laws relating to air space. ie where you can and cannot fly.
Blame it on the nanny state or European Harmonisation etc etc.
Fly at roof top level..... Get the visiting days for Armley Jail first.
Oh, a piece of good news. You do not need road tax or a car driving licence but then you are not allowed on the roads either.
Nice dream but...
Old 18 November 2004, 02:26 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If radar is a problem and needing to get flight clearance then can't you just fly along at house height?
Not over my house your not sonny jim....I already have enough trouble with the pork choppers
Old 18 November 2004, 02:47 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by harvey
Damian: A total non starter. Lots of days you would not get to work and lots of days you would not be able to take off for home. Weather considerations. Typically the cross wind component on these is less than 15kts. Then there are the visibility constraints relevant to horizontal viz and cloud base.
Even if weather was not a consideration you are probably within the Leeds Bradford TMA so again you are constrained.
20 years ago you could fly a microlite without a licence and there were very few restrictions. Now it is heavily regulated as are the laws relating to air space. ie where you can and cannot fly.
Blame it on the nanny state or European Harmonisation etc etc.
Fly at roof top level..... Get the visiting days for Armley Jail first.
Oh, a piece of good news. You do not need road tax or a car driving licence but then you are not allowed on the roads either.
Nice dream but...
Well that's pi$$ed on my bonfire. Kinda hoping microlites were a black hole regarding regulation and such

See you at Well Lane on Sunday.

Damian.

Last edited by SPEN555; 18 November 2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 18 November 2004, 03:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm currently training for my Foot Launched Flying Machine Licence. You don't *need* a licence or insurance and the only restrictions are that you stick to a few simple rules detailed here www.paramotorsuk.co.uk/pdf/4y117.pdf

You won't be able to do exactly what you want, but you'd be pretty close.