Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Had a prang -- anything I can do to make sure the body shop does the job right?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2004, 10:35 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a prang -- anything I can do to make sure the body shop does the job right?

Had a prang today, car will need new wing & complete front bumper plus undertray.

'cos I'm with Direct Line, the car has to go to one of their approved bodyshops for fixing.

Anyone any suggestions on how I can make sure the bodyshop does the job right, and checks things like intercooler, pipes, radiator, aircon etc too?

The car drove 10 miles home OK with no overheating, no warning lights or any other unusual signs so engine, steering and brakes seem OK ....

Thanks for any advice.
Old 17 November 2004, 11:03 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brickboy
'cos I'm with Direct Line, the car has to go to one of their approved bodyshops for fixing.
Not sure about this. When I was with DL in the past, I've always been able to insist on using my preferred bodyshop. I think the only issue will be whether or not you're entitled automatically to a courtesy car. Worth a word with them.
Old 17 November 2004, 11:05 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Last year I had a no fault claim and insisted on the Subaru garage doing the repairs. Be firm and insist, if you want to send it elsewhere.

The bodyshop did a crap job though, wish I'd sent it to the approved repairer!!!

Dan
Old 18 November 2004, 07:29 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Indeed, insist you take it to your own gagage.
Old 18 November 2004, 09:31 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

YOU decide NOT them !
Old 18 November 2004, 09:33 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i would rrather insist the bodyshop paint it properly

ie if painting a wing i would want the paint flicked into the adjacent panels so theres no colour missmatch

basically if doing a wing ya flick the paint into the door and bonet edge, then laquer the door wing and bonnet

gives the best finish

the amount of repairs ive seen done were theve just painted the one panel is unreal, they say, pain never matches as new or old car paint new paint

bullbags, if it wasnt like that to start with it should be returned as it was before

tell the bodyshop if they dont blow it in to the adjacent panels they will have the car back to do it again... simple
Old 18 November 2004, 11:13 AM
Fixel
Scooby Regular

After visiting PowerStation for wheel alignment last weekend, I found out that my front struts don't match, after one was replaced by an insurance body shop over the summer. They're pretty much the same, but subtle differences indicated it wasn't the right part. In hindsight, it should've gone to Subaru or at least someplace where they actually cared about getting it right (FFS, they gave me the car back with a passenger door which couldn't be opened from the inside )

Re: the courtesy car - it's provided by (and paid for) by the body shop, not the insurers. Insurers who promise courtesy cars do so because their approved repairers must offer that facility to be 'approved'. If you want to take your car elsewhere, ask the repairer for a courtesy car.
Old 18 November 2004, 11:33 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Took it to the VAG dealer, and they said for the kind of work that needs doing to minne, they use the same bodyshop that Direct Line has recommended anyway, so I'm less concerned.

As it will be quicker getting the bodyshop to do it (less p*ss*ng around with engineers reports etc) I'll go the Direct Line route.