Would you employ a women?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2004, 01:19 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you employ a women?

Here's the reasoning ........
Office next to mine is a purchasing office. They employ 7 buyers. 2 are men and the other 5 are women. In the last 2 months 2 have gone on maternity leave and one has got married and left all together coz her new hubby is loaded. The two who have gone off to calf down the boss has no idea if they will come back at the end of their time off or not. He is struggling with cover and basically in a mess. The other 2 females in the office are both married and young. You dont need to be a genius to work out they will be on their way soon too.

So if you owned a business doing something like contract purchasing, employed 10 people, would you employ younger females???? I know I would think twice.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:22 PM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

This has to be a wind up post!!!!!

Last edited by Coopz; 17 November 2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:23 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

if they had a nice **** yes
Old 17 November 2004, 01:25 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Nah - don't employ women - they are all mad.... MAD i tell ya
Old 17 November 2004, 01:25 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

coopz ......why????.

Its your company and your problem when someone goes off to have kids for 6 months and doesnt have to tell you they arent coming back till the day they dont bother too turn up..........It would make me think twice for sure
Old 17 November 2004, 01:29 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

We had this conversation some time ago when we were looking to employ a contract manager.

There was a young lady (around 25) who had everything we needed the only thing was that she had just got married. Now the problem here was that we couldn't ask if she thought she was considering a family but we DID assume it.

My boss thought that investing so much money into training bla bla bla into this woman was a none starter as it was "odds on" that in a year or two she would go on maternity leave and probably not return as the job required for the applicant to work away. I'm saying that maybe this woman had no intention of doing any of the above but getting a bloke in seemed to make that problem go away.

We did change a Secretary some time ago and opted for a "mature lady" as her kids had grown up and there was no chance of her leaving over and above the "normal" reasons for leaving employment.

Its sad but a fact of life
Old 17 November 2004, 01:31 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)

If the lady finds out you will be sued big time!!
Old 17 November 2004, 01:32 PM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

Beacause the same thing could happen when you employ anyone - someone might be perfect for the job, things all going along nicely and then they decide to leave for whatever reason. I agree that if someone goes on maternity leave then they should make it clear if they intend to come back or not, if not then things can be sorted out before they leave and anyone really with any sense of loyalty will do that, however sometimes people's prioritys change once they've had kids. You can't just not employ young married women just because there is chance that they might soon start a family!
Old 17 November 2004, 01:33 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

I trained up two women who then both took maternity leave. It leaves a big gap in a small company, involves extra payroll work for maternity pay and finding and funding a replacement. But you're not supposed to ask if they intend to have a family at interview!
Old 17 November 2004, 01:33 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Treading carefully I would say having an entirely male staff is good for:

Bonding / Nights Out / Teamwork

Watching internet ladies without clothes without hearing - "Thats Disgusting".

No sexual discrimination, or blokes coming on to women, or affairs, these are hard to sort out without alienating someone from the team.

No 42 weeks off a year.

Not having to watch what you say.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:34 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Not all women have babies.

Just employ the person best suited to the job, or is that too easy.

Now get back in your cave.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

I run a brothel and find that I have to employ them..... and ironically it's the younger females that clients seem to demand
Old 17 November 2004, 01:35 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

But you're not supposed to ask if they intend to have a family at interview!
or assume such things
Old 17 November 2004, 01:36 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I am not going to wade in to this somewhat charged conversation, but England is actually more for the employer than other countries.

In Italy for example you can have 2 years maternity leave, during which time you get paid and then return to work for just 1 day a week, then 2 days etc...

Steve.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:37 PM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

I work with businesses every day and my family has a small business - if you have systems and procedures in place then it shouldn't cause too much of a problem, after all a women normally does have a good 6 months at work before maternity leave so surely that leaves enough time to arrange cover etc!
Old 17 November 2004, 01:38 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Nicci

I dont have to make thoses decisions (thankfully) I'm only saying that from an employers POV, two equally matched applicants tried for the same job, the 43 year old bloke got the job not the 25 year old woman. Personally i thought the woman was the best person for the job but our boss thought otherwise, the reason given was the above.............. oh and the woman wanted more money aswell (no leopard changing its spots there then )

Old 17 November 2004, 01:38 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Im not saying women arent good grafters coz they are. In a lot of cases for sure. The point I was trying to make was if I owned a small business emplying only a few people im not sure I would want the problems the guy down the office of me is having at the moment.

and of course you can call a man a cxxxxxt and ten mins later buy him a coffee and all is well again. That dont happen with women, they stick pins into dolls etc etc.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

We've had two incidents of taking young girls on and with 12 months they've become pregnant taken maternity leave and maternity pay and then decided not to come back.

Our neighbour did the same to her employer, even before she had the baby she had no intention of going back but every intention of taking as much money from her employer as possible.

Experience dictates future actions and we've lost a fair amount of time, effort and money on employees to see them bugger off but leave with thier hand out.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:40 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I personally would prefer to be the only bloke in our place
Old 17 November 2004, 01:43 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

we love sticking pins in dolls.

Our grudges last forever.

BTW we have a woman about to go on maternity leave and the company have made the most of the preparation time. So there should be no problems when her leave begins.

Anyway, maternity leave is probably more hard work than being at work.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:44 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I work for a very large organisation and HR would be onto us immediately if there were any discrimination in place during the recruitment process. When interviewing candidates it is always at the back of your mind (whether they're likely to be trying for children in the short-term). However, for job roles we always plan continuity and ensure there's a resource available which could cover the role should anything happen (such as death, long-term illness, maternity leave etc). This is an innate benefit of being in a large organisation and having a large pool of resources. If it were my own small company and resources/staff shortfalls were going to be a serious hindrance to operations then I'd think very carefully about who I employed. I don't think there's a definite need to discriminate in these cases though, it just needs careful consideration and planning, employing staff you know would be capable of covering more than one area short-term until a replacement could be found to cover maternity leave. So, yes and no!
Old 17 November 2004, 01:44 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I know I would think twice.
I employ five people, last year I did take on a woman aged twenty five. It was a bit of a worry. She was the most enthusiastic of the people I interviewed so I took her on. She wasn't upto the job and I had to get rid of her six months later.

In all honesty if two candidates in their 20's with equal skills, one male and one female I would pick the bloke. I can't afford to loose 20% of my workforce for a prolonged period.

My sister in law had a baby last year, she had no intention of going back but she screwed her employer for every penny.

Guttman - Pins in dolls. Spot on.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:45 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

I am the only bloke. It's not all it's cracked up to be!

And trust me, if they do get preggers you don't want them back! They talk about NOTHING else

Phil
Old 17 November 2004, 01:45 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I used to know a senior HR Manager who would privately admit to avoiding, if possible, the hire of women of a certain age/status because of the hassle of maternity leave.

When hiring, you should always assume you will only have that member of staff for 2 years and plan acordingly. Maternity leave isn't the only reason a female member of staff may leave. Temporary cover is relatively easy to organise as well. You will normally get enough notice with maternity leave to arrange a hand over period at both ends of the maternity leave.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:46 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

stating the obvious.....but if anyone says "my co. did x,y,z" they may as well be saying "we dont employee black peopel" in that its heading to court pretty quick!
Old 17 November 2004, 01:48 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Eddscott .......so you would think twice if it was your business me thinks
Old 17 November 2004, 01:54 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Philip Attaway
I am the only bloke. It's not all it's cracked up to be!

And trust me, if they do get preggers you don't want them back! They talk about NOTHING else

Phil
I'd like to form my own opinion Phil
Old 17 November 2004, 01:55 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Here's the reasoning ........
Office next to mine is a purchasing office. They employ 7 buyers. 2 are men and the other 5 are women. In the last 2 months 2 have gone on maternity leave and one has got married and left all together coz her new hubby is loaded. The two who have gone off to calf down the boss has no idea if they will come back at the end of their time off or not. He is struggling with cover and basically in a mess. The other 2 females in the office are both married and young. You dont need to be a genius to work out they will be on their way soon too.

So if you owned a business doing something like contract purchasing, employed 10 people, would you employ younger females???? I know I would think twice.
As politically incorrect as it is a lot of employers dont like to or wont do simply because of the above reasons.
All the top absenteeism's (i think that is how you spell it) at our firm are all women who have various days off because of sickness kids sickness etc.
Old 17 November 2004, 01:59 PM
In the ring of fire
Scooby Regular

In answer to the question in hand

NOPE

Couldnt imagine what would happen to a women in my workshop though .................................................. .........

Gimp comes to mind

Quick Reply: Would you employ a women?