Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help for an old Dad please....

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2004, 11:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help for an old Dad please....

Sorry to mention Christmas this early but need advice on portable music player gizmos. Basically present/s for kids, boy 17 at college and girl 18 at uni. Something to put in pocket/bag and listen to music when on move. I am only vaguely aware of iPods, MP3s (?) on the market and have heard varying reports. Want something that can utilise their present music collection being mostly CDs with some downloaded stuff on PC. Say £150-ish. Fairly robust if possible. Thanks, David.
Old 15 November 2004, 12:03 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Sorry to mention Christmas this early but need advice on portable music player gizmos. Basically present/s for kids, boy 17 at college and girl 18 at uni. Something to put in pocket/bag and listen to music when on move. I am only vaguely aware of iPods, MP3s (?) on the market and have heard varying reports. Want something that can utilise their present music collection being mostly CDs with some downloaded stuff on PC. Say £150-ish. Fairly robust if possible. Thanks, David.
What you are looking for is an mp3 player. They all do as your requirements above. Go to Dixons and have a look at their portable music players, they have a good dozen different models. The iPod Mini is £180 and holds 1000 songs. It's the market leader at the moment, good luck getting your hands on one though, they are flying off the shelves at the moment!
Old 15 November 2004, 12:03 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Get them a mini-Ipod each, cant go wrong there!! They play MP3's so you need to download the music to them from the PC.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/search?q=ipod

Best price for an ipod mini 4GB is 172quid, but top bits of kit!
Old 15 November 2004, 12:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If they use it for active sport (eg jogging), then anything hard-drive based is more likely to skip (someone will now contradict me...). BUT non-hard-drive stuff has limited storage space, like barely 1GB.

How many CDs do they each have? Someone here should give you a guide as to no. of megabytes per album, and therefore how much storage space they would use. (Do I remember correctly that 20GB is about 4000 tracks, thus maybe 400 albums??)

Ipods are apparently wonderful - just get them to buy a set of Sony headphones, so they don't get mugged as the Apple headphones shout "I've got an Ipod!"

Vague, but hope it helps you.

BTW, the closer it gets to Christmas, the less you'll find a mini Ipod in the shops, I guarantee it!
Old 15 November 2004, 12:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot guys,

I guess that storage for the equivalent of 20 CDs would be more than enough and I assume that tracks can be removed and replaced? What is actually used in an MP3 and/or Ipod - mini discs, memory sticks or whatever. How would one actually move a CD onto the player (sorry but I have never used one!). I assume PC stuff is downloaded via usb connection? Didn't the early iPods have serious probs re battery replacement?

We have a Curries near us so will have a look around. The trouble is I don't trust anyone there for sound (no pun intended!) and independent advice. Hence SN

Thanks again, David

So which of this lot??

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/xx/x...ml?articleId=0

Last edited by David Lock; 15 November 2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 15 November 2004, 12:32 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

Get them a ipod each they are the way forward, 20GB should hold about 150 CD's, great for on the move (although the headphones you get with them aint that great!) and also can play through the TV for use at home. I got a 40GB cost £299 at the time and have stuck all my CDs up in the loft now there on the I pod!

uploading done through pc using usb or firewire.
Old 15 November 2004, 12:33 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

No no, kids don't want MP3 players these days. Its terrible to see a father so out of touch! What kids want is nice Xmas themed, hand knitted woolly jumpers, the kind that button up on the shoulder. Also, as a special treat, take them for a walk around some National Trust properties on Christmas day. Follow my advice and they'll be everso greatful!

Serious answer: I'll second mini ipod, my brother has one and is well chuffed with it!

Trending Topics

Old 15 November 2004, 12:37 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...re?family=iPod

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...317441-0252657

There you go dad....stretch the extra £7.99

Last edited by Colinj; 15 November 2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 15 November 2004, 12:47 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I assume that tracks can be removed and replaced? What is actually used in an MP3 and/or Ipod - mini discs, memory sticks or whatever. How would one actually move a CD onto the player (sorry but I have never used one!). I assume PC stuff is downloaded via usb connection? Didn't the early iPods have serious probs re battery replacement?
Tracks can indeed be removed and replaced.

It doesn't use any discs of any kind, it is in effect a glorified memory stick with a display on it. To move a CD on to it (I assume, since I don't have one... yet!) you have to record it to your computer and then upload it via usb to the player. As for battery problems, I think they sorted that out a while ago.
Old 15 November 2004, 12:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks again,

Oh well daughter back on the streets for a few weeks then

ajm- had thought about "My Little Pony" - what do you think

Am I stuck with head phones that come with the kit or can I get some better quality ones? Seems to rather defeat the whole objective is headphones are ****e! David

PS. Are these things unisex or is there a boysy one and a girly one?

Last edited by David Lock; 15 November 2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 15 November 2004, 12:57 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

I just thought the headphones seemed a bit tinnie sounding......swapped over for a set of sony ones I had lying around - much better

How about sorting me and daughter up on a date for all this good help Handsome 21yr Scooby driving Student with Ipod knowledge
Old 15 November 2004, 01:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Headphones - my son's happy with his 25 euro Sony ones, hardly bank-breaking.

Boy/girl - mini-Ipods come in silver, pink, green, blue. Some colours more demanded than others.