Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Not been paid

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2004, 08:09 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not been paid

The company I work for has managed to not pay me today. I've only been there for 5 months and they've cocked my pay up every time. I'm actually leaving at the end of this week anyway so I've decided not to go back in to work until they pay me.

Does anyone know where I stand with them and paying my bank charges?

Apparently payroll didn't know I was leaving, they only found out because I complained that they still han't paid me the 16 hours double time they owed me from 2 months back and I wanted it before I left, so then they recalled my pay on friday to recalculate it. They promised me I'd still get paid today.
Old 15 November 2004, 09:19 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

I had the same kind of thing last month - some kind of problem with the BACS run and I got missed out.

Bank were very helpful and didn't return any DD's and work have covered all my bank charges (£54 ). Person who messed up BACS run is now looking for a new job.

I would say that your employer is liable for your bank charges 'cause it's their fault you've been charged by the bank. I would speak to the Personnel Manager and put it to him/her.
Old 15 November 2004, 09:26 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

All of what TDT said, if you're paid by BACS the employer should be liable for bank charges due to late / non-payment.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:01 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to them, they said they will "look at" the bank charges but couldn't promise they'd get paid. They said they could organise £200 cash advance. I refused this on the basis that my £350 mortgage payment is due to go out tomorrow and I want the money in my account. They say it's likely to be thursday before the money goes in, so I think I'll be calling my new employer and offering to start work a week early.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:04 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Wish my mortgage payment was only £350 ! Anyhow, im sure they can lay their hands on the cash, ie even raid petty cash if neeeded. Just leave em a few nice issues when you go
Old 15 November 2004, 10:10 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Stueyb, thats just my half of the mortgage payment, the Mrs pays her half too. They offered cash, I asked them how I'm supposed to get to work to pick up the cash with no petrol. That stumped them
Old 15 November 2004, 10:16 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

"no petrol"?

if that'd been me on the other end of the 'phone I would have strongly considered ending the conversation right there.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:23 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Well then Charlie, how else do you propose I get to work?
Old 15 November 2004, 10:27 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Esp at scoobies drink the juice as we know lol
Old 15 November 2004, 10:29 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

REV, whilst you are in the right in that you have not been paid, i would have thought the excuse of "no petrol" is a bit lame. Why don't you buy some petrol? Do you have a credit card? A mate who can lend you £10?

Having said that, if I was the employer I would make sure the money was paid into your account, before 12:00 on the day of the mistake (or the day the mistake was realised), by our admin. I've done this loads of times when mistakes were made with wages.

Old 15 November 2004, 10:31 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Not to mention my work commute is a 45 mile round trip. The needle's on E, the payments due to go out of my account have taken care of the reserve I had and they can't tell me when the payment will go in. If they at least told me it would definately be in by thursday, I'd write a cheque.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:33 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

But the big Question Rev, did you make it to work ?
Old 15 November 2004, 10:33 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

When I didn't get paid because my company was in financial trouble, I was advised that under no circumstances should I NOT go into work. It puts you on a very sticky wicket as they could sack you for Gross Misconduct.

I know you're leaving, but my feelings would be to go in this week until the situation is resolved. I know it's difficult when you've no money, but it's better to sort these things from within.

My company did pay bank charges for other people who did not have an overdraft or a buffer when they got charged penalties.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:34 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
REV, whilst you are in the right in that you have not been paid, i would have thought the excuse of "no petrol" is a bit lame. Why don't you buy some petrol? Do you have a credit card? A mate who can lend you £10?

Having said that, if I was the employer I would make sure the money was paid into your account, before 12:00 on the day of the mistake (or the day the mistake was realised), by our admin. I've done this loads of times when mistakes were made with wages.

Don't have credit cards and why should I look like a pikey to my mates by trying to beg £10 to get to work? No chance.

Did I mention that this is the second time I've not been paid on time and so far not one of my pay days has been correct while I've worked there (5 months)?
Old 15 November 2004, 10:35 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

This has happened to me many times before with my employer. They paid my bank charges, as they bloody well should. I went for 4 weeks with incorrect wages. They soon got them right whein i refused to work.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:39 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I've not been paid on time for 4 months now and its a right pain, as its the only reason why I go to work in the first place. I would still go in if I was you as it'll only make things worse in the long run. At least the people who are trying to sort it out for you will know you appreciate their help in resolving the issue ....
Old 15 November 2004, 10:43 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

REV - I take your point, but all I am trying to say is that by being obstructive towards your employer, you are not making it any more likely that he is going to make an effort to sort out your money. If someone told me that they couldn't get to work due to lack of petrol, I would just laugh.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:48 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

In what way is having no petrol being obstructive?
Old 15 November 2004, 10:56 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

UPDATE: someone's bringing me the cash so I can fill up and go to work! Still no word on when I'm getting paid, though.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:58 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Well do you expect your employer to pop round with a jerry can and fill your car up for you?

Anyway - this argument is getting a bit beside the point. As I said earlier, you have a valid complaint and your employer should make every effort to sort it out. It's just MHO that by not turning up you are making the situation worse.

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 15 November 2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 15 November 2004, 11:12 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
Well do you expect your employer to pop round with a jerry can and fill your car up for you?
No, I expect them to pay me for the work I've done on the date specified in my employment contract. If they can't do that, then I expect them to deal with the consequences of that late payment, which they are now doing.
Old 15 November 2004, 11:15 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

all's well that ends well.

Old 15 November 2004, 11:27 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Apparently I have an exit interview this week! That's going to be fun
Old 15 November 2004, 11:34 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Hmm, apparently they're sending round someone who works in my department and have told them the full story. Talk about a breach of confidentiality! I think a meeting with HR is required ASAP.
Old 15 November 2004, 06:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

when i started for my company , i waited for for my first months salary..

it didnt go in the bank...

i wasnt too worried as i thought it may have been a tech error..

nothing there on the monday or tuesday... ohherrr

so i contacted our wages dept who confirmed the money had gone in...

they brought my bank details to check,,,,,

fekin helll i had only put the wrong bank acc number down,,, it was miles off what it should ahve been..

how i did it i dont know,, but all credit to my company, they contacted the bank, repaid me the next day, and got the original money back from the wrong account..

M
Old 15 November 2004, 07:38 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One trick we found worked wonders if your pay was short was to start proceeding for an Industrial Tribunal on "illegal witholding of wages". Works better if you're in a Union, but AFAIK you can do it without one.

M
Old 15 November 2004, 07:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

What really annoys me is that they still can't tell me when I will get paid. They keep saying it should be sorted by friday but when I say "does that mean money in my account by friday?" they won't commit.

How hard is it to work out? I should be paid for 01/11 to 19/11 plus 36 hours overtime at time and a half, less 2 days holiday I've taken but not earned yet. That should be done in a day as far as I'm concerned.