Is anyone an account manager?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2004, 11:37 AM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is anyone an account manager?

Hello,

I've just finished uni after doing a marketing management degree and I'm in the running for a job as marketing and account manager.

I'm not entirely sure that I want a career in business (should have put more thought into what degree I did) but I need a job while I decide. Plus getting some real work experience will be beneficial to whatever i do.

Anyhow I have already had an interview for the above position, but I have got to go back on thurs for an 'informal chat' with the sales director. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of working as an account manager or employing one and could give me a bit of info as to what is involved and what the sales director will be looking for from our chat?

Cheers Al.
Old 13 November 2004, 11:52 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

At our place (large telecoms/ISP) they look after multiple customer accounts in the same sector e.g. Goverment, Enterprise, Globals, Channels etc. Some customers you dont hear a peep from - others will be calling you every week of the year without fail.

They are an information point for the customer for new services, improvements/upgrades to current services, liason with other depts e.g. Technical Support. They provide a face for our company and do site visits for larger customers, provide reports of major outages/faults etc.

Not much sorry but no one else had replied so thought I give you a little bit of info.

Simon.
Old 13 November 2004, 12:22 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Right cheers, I just wondered to what extent the sales aspect had on the role. Your description sounded pretty much like what I imagined it would be.
Old 13 November 2004, 06:24 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Don't forget sales is at the heart of most companies. Whether called sales or not everyone who has contact with customers/clients can greatly influence sales performance. If the mechanic does a bad job on your car you say "ain't going there again "= lost sale
Old 13 November 2004, 07:18 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

basically account managers are whipping boys for there clients...

unless you have a good team below you , you,l find out how stressfull it can be..

i declined doing this type of role... i prefer the hands on engineering aproach

mart
Old 14 November 2004, 06:46 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for tips, anyone else with any experience of account managers?
Old 14 November 2004, 07:16 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Yes mate, i work as an Account Manager for a Telco.

My role is to look after existing accounts and also to find new ones within my postal code areas.

I need to generate £38k per month gross profit whether thats within existing accounts or new business, its not as easy as it sounds, yes the money is good and the sales benefits are great but remember you are the face of the company to your accounts and as such you will get all the grief when they arent happy.

Then you have to do all the forecasting for future business whilst juggling p#ssed off clients, attend sales meetings, ohh and make money.

When its good its really good the benefits outway the downsides but always remember ' You are only ever as good as your last sale '

Zippy
Old 15 November 2004, 12:29 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Ok, how does it vary then to a sales executive role then?

Is it just purely the job title?

Sorry if questions are obvious, as I say it will be my firsty job from uni.
Old 15 November 2004, 08:18 PM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Sales people only make and close the initial 'sale', but they don't usually then go on to manage the account later on. An Account Manager, as well as finding new clients, is the contact between the existing client and his team and manages the relationship between the client and his company.

LC