Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

recommend me a kick-ass dog

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2004, 10:30 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommend me a kick-*** dog

im thinking of getting a puppy after i buy another house next year. i want one that looks cute as a puppy and that will grow up to be a good looking dog. but mostly i want to it be able to protect stuff. like if someone breaks into my house while im not there, the dog would be able to savage them etc. however, it needs to be able to be well trained, as if i want kids, i wouldnt want the dog turning on the baby if it gets jealous. similarly i wouldnt want it just biting some stranger in the street and having to be put down. i want a loyal dog that likes to play and has energy to be taken on long walks etc. it needs to have a good reputation as a "tough" dog to deter burglars too. ideally something that lives a decent amount of time.. but that dies suddenly rather than gets old, tired and unwell over a long peroid of time.

i am thinking rottweiler. does anyone have any experience with these? or can anyone recommend anything else? maybe labrador or are they too wussy? what about german shepherds or malamutes/huskies?

thanks
Old 14 November 2004, 10:36 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

sausage dog
Old 14 November 2004, 10:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Old 14 November 2004, 10:40 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

ideally something that lives a decent amount of time.. but that dies suddenly rather than gets old, tired and unwell over a long peroid of time.

What planet are you on?

It's not a fookin fridge-freezer you're on about getting!
Old 14 November 2004, 10:41 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

http://www.coolpetsupply.com/killer.jpg
or
http://jpbrown.i8.com/K9_4.jpg
http://www.virtualpet.com/pe/books/dogbs/rocketg.jpg
Old 14 November 2004, 10:42 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

tell you what mate, youve described my bulldog down to the ground, hes the perfect companion, hes like a child himself, I know plenty of families with dogs, my misses parents, I used to have a couple of mutts when I was a kid but nothing like this baby. hes soooo cool u could have a conversation with the begger, tbh the only downside is he would get jealous if we had kids IMO but thats the way we brought him up, gets away with murder. Bulldogs are renowed for being family dogs, pi55es me off though when you walk him down the high steet and people pull their kids away, hes probbaly the most friendliest dog they'd ever meet yet his ugly looks (or gorgeous which ever way you look at it) scare people, (which is good for the protection thingy). tbh I really think as much as a softy he is he'd protect any1 in this house until he was layed out himself, Superb dog. couldnt get much more faithful

http://www.rtoc.org/library/file.asp?id=14274

http://www.rtoc.org/library/file.asp?id=10594

Last edited by davegtt; 14 November 2004 at 10:45 PM.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:43 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
What planet are you on?

It's not a fookin fridge-freezer you're on about getting!
i realize that. but at the same time, i hate seeing pets get ill and just laying around collapsed of exhaustion all day long. ive seen this happen to too many dogs that other people own and i think its not fruitful for anyone, particularly the dog.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:47 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
tell you what mate, youve described my bulldog down to the ground, hes the perfect companion, hes like a child himself, I know plenty of families with dogs, my misses parents, I used to have a couple of mutts when I was a kid but nothing like this baby. hes soooo cool u could have a conversation with the begger, tbh the only downside is he would get jealous if we had kids IMO but thats the way we brought him up, gets away with murder. Bulldogs are renowed for being family dogs, pi55es me off though when you walk him down the high steet and people pull their kids away, hes probbaly the most friendliest dog they'd ever meet yet his ugly looks (or gorgeous which ever way you look at it) scare people, (which is good for the protection thingy). tbh I really think as much as a softy he is he'd protect any1 in this house until he was layed out himself, Superb dog. couldnt get much more faithful

http://www.rtoc.org/library/file.asp?id=14274

http://www.rtoc.org/library/file.asp?id=10594
thank you! very helpful response unlike the other guys!

i like the look of your dog. definitely a breed i will consider. i hadnt thought of a bulldog really until you mentioned it - i guess id envisaged getting something bigger. but it does sound like it hits every criteria.

thanks again
Old 14 November 2004, 10:49 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

You misunderstand me... It's a living being... they all get ill, they all get tired, they all eventually die. Most people see their animal as a lifetime companion (well, for its lifetime, anyway) and a personality to love and to cherish. Not some kind of ****ing burglar-alarm that runs on dog-meat.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:51 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting to move into my new house so that I can go along and find a puppy rotweiler!! cant wait
Old 14 November 2004, 10:53 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

no worries, getting a bully though aint an easy ride,they do need attention themselves. with ours we have to wipes its ar$e with a baby wipe everytime it has a ****. (I aint joking either otherwise if he sits down its all over the carpet or whatever) but thats cause its tail coves its poop hole. many others dont suffer from it, at least once a week he needs his ears and wrinkles cleaning too. hes alot off work. as much as the misses nephew whos only 6 months old. needs plently of time spending with him but which dog doesnt. there are many more suitable breeds out there but there is no other breed that compares to the bulldog for companionship and faithfulness

Dave
Old 14 November 2004, 10:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont get a Cocker Spaniel, ours is doing the knackered thing and has been for some time. Rottweilers just look so aggressive and give the owner a bit of Pikey (oops said it ) air, makes you look like you might live on a Dingle-esque farm and drive a Mitsubishi Pajero, having made your money from having car boot sales on your land.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:55 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

You misunderstand me... It's a living being... they all get ill, they all get tired, they all eventually die. Most people see their animal as a lifetime companion (well, for its lifetime, anyway) and a personality to love and to cherish. Not some kind of ****ing burglar-alarm that runs on dog-meat.
people often buy dogs to protect possessions/property and i see nothing wrong with that. in fact many are bred exactly for that purpose.

yes it would be a pet and companion too, but if theres a type of dog that would be healthy until say 12 years old and then die suddenly, rather than one that would be healthy until 10 years old and spend 5 years gradually dying, then i would favor the first breed. of course, regardless of whether there is that type of distinction between breeds, its NOT like id have the dog put down or kick it out just because it gets old. its just something i was asking about.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:56 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
I am waiting to move into my new house so that I can go along and find a puppy rotweiler!! cant wait
cool - good luck with both - post up some pics when you get it! what is making you decide to get that breed?
Old 14 November 2004, 10:59 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Milo. There isn't a type of dog that's just going to switch off at the end of its useful period.
Old 14 November 2004, 11:02 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Milo. There isn't a type of dog that's just going to switch off at the end of its useful period.
i realize that too but figured there might be slight differences in how breeds die. for instance:

Dont get a Cocker Spaniel, ours is doing the knackered thing and has been for some time.
some dog breeds are renowned for doing the knackered thing for years, and others aren't. or at least thats how they're perceived. if theres no truth to that, fair enough.
Old 14 November 2004, 11:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

generally dogs that live long lifes usually do entail there last year or 2 suffering, dogs who live shorter lives finsih much uicker, its best if u pick out a few breeds u like and then search for each idividual breed and weight up the pros and cons.

Dave
Old 14 November 2004, 11:07 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
generally dogs that live long lifes usually do entail there last year or 2 suffering, dogs who live shorter lives finsih much uicker, its best if u pick out a few breeds u like and then search for each idividual breed and weight up the pros and cons.
thanks mate!

bubba - this is the sort of thing i was talking about having a dog that dies quicker and suffers less. maybe i made it sound too crude/harsh for you in my original post and it came across the wrong way? :shrugs:
Old 14 November 2004, 11:19 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo
cool - good luck with both - post up some pics when you get it! what is making you decide to get that breed?
a good friend of mine has one, and if bought up as part of the family in good surroundings, they make wonderful pets, and to be honest because they have bought it up like that its a **** guard dog. and that suits me fine, I want a companion not a body guard.

they just have so much character in their faces my two fave dogs in the whole world are boxers and rotties, both for the daft look on their faces

as for the comment above, if im taken for a pikey then so beit.

jamo
Old 14 November 2004, 11:22 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Golden Retriever - ours is a big dog (size of a female St Bernard) is are friendly as they come with friends and family, but won't let anybody go near my mum if she's walking him alone.
Old 14 November 2004, 11:25 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Last edited by PG; 14 November 2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 14 November 2004, 11:32 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

cute as a puppy you say ?

Any excuse for dog pics
Old 14 November 2004, 11:40 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

If you've had a dog before and are well prepared for training and eveything else that comes with them how about:
Rhodesian Ridgeback?
Doberman?
Bull Mastiff?
Rottweiler?
German Shepherd?

Most of these breeds require experienced dog owners though.

I think this breed should meet your requirements just on it's name alone - Kazuya

Last edited by cheddar bob; 14 November 2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old 15 November 2004, 01:01 AM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

I'm with Bob....

Zak, our 8 month old German Sheperd is laying next me as I type. He is wonderful with kids but if any of us are here on our own, there ain't no-one getting in the house / garden.

M8 of ours has a Rhodesian Ridgeback, as well as a couple of German Sheperds (this is where Zak came from), and again, the Ridgeback has his kids pulling it's tail, rolling around on the floor etc. with no worries. A lot of it is how you raise them from a pup in my opinion....integrate them with kids from a very early age.

Dave
Old 15 November 2004, 01:13 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Biased Vote for Doberman here

(although the one in the link above is an ugly looking ******)

So here's some cuter ones :

Old 15 November 2004, 01:57 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

German Shepherd - totally loyal and trustworthy family dog, rather good at putting off burglars and will protect it's owners no matter what if shown love and affection as a pup.
Old 15 November 2004, 03:02 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Whilst certain breeds are known to have certain temprements, it's only a generalisation and individual animals and the way you raise them and train them can have a big effect. You can have a "tough" breed, but the animal itself might be quite timid. We used to have an English Springer Spaniel which would have permanently maimed any burgular trying to get into our house, he had a real evil streak in him.

To make sure you don't get a timid dog, go to the breeder and look at all the pups in the litter and make sure you choose one of the boisterous ones. But make sure that if you're getting a big strong dog that you are up to the challenge of training them, you don't want to be in a position where they are the master of the house!

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 15 November 2004 at 03:06 AM.
Old 15 November 2004, 07:25 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Personnally I'd go for.

Boxer - hugely loyal, excellent with kids, very good guard dog ( thats what they were bred for ), has a real big dog bark short coat easy to keep.
Rottie - similar to above but unfortunatley have had a bad press due to wreckless owners.
Doberman - arguably the most elegant of guard dogs, unfortunately some seem to be 1 person dogs.
Bullmastif - see rottie, plus they are huge
Great Dane - don't laugh they are not all like Scooby or Marmaduke, hugely loyal to family.

As B_I_J says look at the pups closely, don't go for the one that looks all cute coz its hiding in the corner, you really want the one thats is not afraid to walk right up to you.
Another personnal point of mine I prefer the short haired breeds due to the lower and easier maintenance.

John.
Old 15 November 2004, 07:26 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG

Looking good PG

John.
Old 15 November 2004, 07:37 AM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

Get a Staf or German Shepherd

the up and downsides

Staf= Good with kids very protective & and dont suffer in old age [gets to a certain age then just pass on]

German Shepherd = good with kids {but couldnt eat a hole 1] very good dog to train & very protective of family and property [but do suffer when old back legs go and some suffer from spinal problems

So get yourself an alarm and a shot gun that should save you all the hassle

Quick Reply: recommend me a kick-ass dog