Losing Weight

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2004, 07:29 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Weight

Just thought I'd share this with you.

I'm 5ft 10", and got on the scales at the end of last week and I was 17 stone 2lb!!! I'm not grotesquely fat, I've carried weight well for years, (the woman who did my pre-op when I was in hospital didn't believe I was then 16 and a half stone until I got on the scales), I've just got a bit of a pot belly, but I noticed my face was getting a lot fatter recently.

Since I've had keyhole surgery on both my knees in February, I've stopped playing 5 a side, and don't get any exercise bar doing a manual job. My diet was poor to say the least, lots of chips, crisps, chocolate bars, and plenty of beer. If there was a match on tv (and when isn't there one on??), I'd invariably have a few cans while watching it.

SO, at the beginning of the week just gone, I decided not to go on a specific diet as such, just cut out the rubbish, and stop the beer through the week. As I work on a building site, I'm pretty restricted what I can take to eat (hot food is a no-no, no canteen to go to, only chip shops and bacon sandwich,shops nearby) so I only take 2 sandwiches (4 slices of bread) and make them do me all day. I stopped taking crisps, or chocolate buscuits. I thought I'd be starving, but up to now, only had small hunger for 20 minutes on Thursday afternoon.

For my tea, I've only had chips one night, as opposed to amybe 4 or 5 before. I'm still having decent helpings, cos I don't see the point in staving myself, it'll only make me want a bag of crisps if I'm hungry. I've started having casseroles with some veg and a bit mashed potato, and other things like pasta bake, and even tho I thought I hated them, Super Noodles (they're not that bad). I like chops and steak, so they're still on the menu tho. Never had any drink either until last night when I was at a mates house for his birthday.

I've been to my mothers today to get my old racing bike out of the shed. Biked it back to mine this afternoon. It's about 4 miles, heavily downhill to start, then about 2 miles of flat, then a decent gradient up to my place. Got halfway up the hill, and got off and pushed to the top. What a *****. Going to start biking to work. It's only about 3 miles, but it's better than no exercise at all. In time, I'll own that hill!!! Lol

Anyway, got on the scales this morning, and I'm down to 16st 10. Not bad for a week and considering I'm not doing a faddy "proper" diet, just cutting out the ****e I eat. Not sure how far I'd like to go (any ideas anyone??), but I think 2 to 2 and a half stone is the minimum I should be looking at.

There, that's made me feel even better now that I've told someone.

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:39 PM
MYCROFT.
BANNED

Quote: I've started having casseroles with some veg and a bit mashed potato, and other things like pasta bake, and even tho I thought I hated them, Super Noodles (they're not that bad).

Well cut all that ****e out - more carbohydrates than a rugby team need for a week.

Unless you are trying to gain weight or an olympic class athlete you will never lose weight unless you are eating abot 1000 calories of carbs.

Try to get more protein and green salad vegetables in your diet - this will soon lose the belly.
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good start m8, just remember that small portions often are better than big helpings just 2/3 times a day because it speeds your metabolism up.

Remember to get the most accurate weight, weigh yourself in the morning before you have any food or drink, as your weight can vary by 6-8 pounds in a day.

The more muscle you have the more fat you burn, so why not start a bit of weight training.

On a downside cardio burns very little fat but it wont do any harm.

Keep it up mate

Oh and take some pictures of yourself as it will help chart your progress more.

Ideal weight for someone with a good b/f% at 5.11 would be 14-15stone.
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Well done mate. Keep at it. I keep trying this funny diets and nenver seem to get anywhere. You have to be mitvated to lose weight (like giving up ciggarettes). Try to get a buudy to cycle with you and learn not to feel guilty when you have tohe occasional binge!

Good luck! We expect to see the before and after photos on Scoobynet when you are as slim as a stick!

HomerJ.

Originally Posted by Walwal
Just thought I'd share this with you.

I'm 5ft 10", and got on the scales at the end of last week and I was 17 stone 2lb!!! I'm not grotesquely fat, I've carried weight well for years, (the woman who did my pre-op when I was in hospital didn't believe I was then 16 and a half stone until I got on the scales), I've just got a bit of a pot belly, but I noticed my face was getting a lot fatter recently.

Since I've had keyhole surgery on both my knees in February, I've stopped playing 5 a side, and don't get any exercise bar doing a manual job. My diet was poor to say the least, lots of chips, crisps, chocolate bars, and plenty of beer. If there was a match on tv (and when isn't there one on??), I'd invariably have a few cans while watching it.

SO, at the beginning of the week just gone, I decided not to go on a specific diet as such, just cut out the rubbish, and stop the beer through the week. As I work on a building site, I'm pretty restricted what I can take to eat (hot food is a no-no, no canteen to go to, only chip shops and bacon sandwich,shops nearby) so I only take 2 sandwiches (4 slices of bread) and make them do me all day. I stopped taking crisps, or chocolate buscuits. I thought I'd be starving, but up to now, only had small hunger for 20 minutes on Thursday afternoon.

For my tea, I've only had chips one night, as opposed to amybe 4 or 5 before. I'm still having decent helpings, cos I don't see the point in staving myself, it'll only make me want a bag of crisps if I'm hungry. I've started having casseroles with some veg and a bit mashed potato, and other things like pasta bake, and even tho I thought I hated them, Super Noodles (they're not that bad). I like chops and steak, so they're still on the menu tho. Never had any drink either until last night when I was at a mates house for his birthday.

I've been to my mothers today to get my old racing bike out of the shed. Biked it back to mine this afternoon. It's about 4 miles, heavily downhill to start, then about 2 miles of flat, then a decent gradient up to my place. Got halfway up the hill, and got off and pushed to the top. What a *****. Going to start biking to work. It's only about 3 miles, but it's better than no exercise at all. In time, I'll own that hill!!! Lol

Anyway, got on the scales this morning, and I'm down to 16st 10. Not bad for a week and considering I'm not doing a faddy "proper" diet, just cutting out the ****e I eat. Not sure how far I'd like to go (any ideas anyone??), but I think 2 to 2 and a half stone is the minimum I should be looking at.

There, that's made me feel even better now that I've told someone.

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:40 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Well done for losing nearly half a stone. It sounds as though you're well on the way to losing more. I've always found cutting out beer does the trick!
Old 14 November 2004, 07:55 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

I'm over the moon. I have tried other diets before, but they either didn't agree with me (Atkins, I was ill for 3 weeks doing that ****e), or they just plain didn't work. I knew cutting out the beer thro the week would help.

Originally Posted by MYCROFT
Well cut all that ****e out - more carbohydrates than a rugby team need for a week.

Unless you are trying to gain weight or an olympic class athlete you will never lose weight unless you are eating abot 1000 calories of carbs.

Try to get more protein and green salad vegetables in your diet - this will soon lose the belly.
What protein foods would you recommend?? Also, I'm not really a veg person. Peas, carrots, and green beans are about all I can handle. Cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli, yuk, just don't go there I'm afraid. Also, even tho it hasn't been mentioned here, I'm not really a fruit person either (some people have said to swap the crisps and buscuits in my baitbox for fruit). I like Granny Smith apples, but can't eat them due to stomach acid problems I've had for years, same with oranges and satsumas. Don't care for bananas.

I'm a bit parky, don't you think??

This is why I've put weight on over the years. When I left school, I was about 10 and a half stone. I'm 35 on Xmas Day. When I got married in 94, I was 12 and a half stone, and when we split in 95, I was 14 stone. The foods I eat, especially when I moved out of my mothers, are all foods that taaste nice, but are no good for you. Whether I can change and start doing veg and fruit, we'll have to see, but does veg actually make you feel full??

All help appreciated, I'm determined to make this work.

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:58 PM
MYCROFT.
BANNED

Red meat will fill you up along, but make sure you get some good fatty oils, from fish etc. Eat eggs, chicken, fish, green veg, salad, and very small amounts of carbs, especially sugary carbs, as these **** about with the insulin level in you system and stop the fat burning.
Old 14 November 2004, 08:06 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

good on ya,
i've been on a diet since new year (determined to stick with it)
was (peak weight last year) 16st 3 pounds
now average 12st 3 pounds (still got a belly ) very hard to get rid of this last stone (same height as you...well 5. 11)

keep a photo of yourself at your peak weight and take a photo once a month to see the changes,
i never felt any different b4 until i saw last years xmas photo :shock:
try to cut out ALL fried food, that will give a boost,
i don't remember the last time i went to any fast food rest.
mmmm xl double whopper meal
Old 14 November 2004, 08:39 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Well done wallwall.
In january i decided to do exactly the same.
Stop eating rubbish.(health not weight reasons)
So i gave up,crisps,chips,sausage rolls,stuff like that(a whole list of stuff) but i now eat loads and loads of spagetti,pasta,potatoes and bread.
Without trying i've lost nearly a stone and have loads of energy.Personally i disagree with atkins diet.The way i look at it,no carbs,no energy=no exercise=fat git.
I'm 5'10 and weigh 10st 12.
Old 14 November 2004, 09:25 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

There is one diet that you will lose weight with...however you have to be 3 stone or more overweight. Three people at work have joined this club and the girl I work with has lost 3 stone in approx 10 weeks and she was around 17 stone before she started.

There is a website....www.lighterlife.co.uk

Don't need it myself, but you have to be weighed every week and have a medical and regular checkups for blood pressure etc.

The diet is carefully monitored, so this may well be worth a go!

Good luck whatever you decide to do though!

little'un
Old 15 November 2004, 09:50 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You're a fat bastid. I'm 36 and weigh 74 kilos, which is under 12 stone.

Hope this helps
Old 15 November 2004, 09:55 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
You're a fat bastid. I'm 36 and weigh 74 kilos, which is under 12 stone.

Hope this helps
But at 4 ft 6 inches tall that makes you one small fat *******.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:13 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...AND I'm 5'10", which my right honourable friend has reminded me that I forgot to mention