Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2004, 06:55 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay.. some people..

some people have a cheek,,

i am selling some computer related stuff for a friend, who no longer needs the
items, of which some have only been used once or twice.

the items are priced fairly, and are midrange for what is available...

i had some bloke email me today complaining that i had specified no reserve, but set the starting bid at £40 .. and the most he would pay was a tenner, and it wasnt fair!!!!!!!

ffs i emailed him back, and advised him i wasnt a charity.. just because the items are no longer needed dosent make them a give away..

any one else get this??

Mart
Old 14 November 2004, 07:00 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

and its cheaper to set a high starting than a reserve ;-)

i get it all the time bud,
recently sold my prodrive rear spoiler,,had over 30 e-mails offering me £100(ish) for it to cancel the auction early,,,got 250 for it in the end lol.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:02 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

yes - I sold a car stereo for a mate, some nobbber mailed me saying he thought my start price of £40 was to high he would offer me £25, and to consider his offer.

I replied in a polite way telling him I had considered his offer and he could stick it up his bottom.

went for about £100.

don't let them bother you, ebay is full of d1ckheads, that want ought for nowt.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:17 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK I'm a bit of an e-bay newbie. But say an item reserve is £100 but you would be prepared to pay £50. No bids come in so item is withdrawn. Seller might have been prepared to take your £50 if he had known about your interest?? May be seller is to blame for setting reserve too high in first place?? Comments?
Old 14 November 2004, 07:26 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

david,

Don't get the reserve and start price mixed up - different things. Personally I dont bother with reserves for selling, and if there is something I fancy with a reserve I will mail and ask the reserve if it comes back too high I forget it. For selling I just set my start price at the minimum I will take for an item - makes for a slow auction but things seem to sell at the end.

As I see it, it is all about what a similar item will go for on ebay that will determine its value. Lets say your item with a reserve of £100 went for £80 last week, and £85 the week before - a reserve /start of £100 is silly. Completed items is the market price IMO. I normally set the start price just below.

not sure what point I was trying to make but there you go
Old 14 November 2004, 07:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Agree David, it's all about buying and selling and there's never anything wrong with offering an amount you want to offer to obtain a bargain.

Telling someone it's too dear is fatal though, but offering them lower should the item not sell is only the way the world works and has been for centuries.

Sellers have the option once interest has been registered by various parties to choose whether or not to sell at the price offered, or try their luck and relist it.

It's only an email after all.

In Mart360s' case the guy was an amatuer and deserved to be told to shuffle.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Agree David, it's all about buying and selling and there's never anything wrong with offering an amount you want to offer to obtain a bargain.

Telling someone it's too dear is fatal though, but offering them lower should the item not sell is only the way the world works and has been for centuries.

Sellers have the option once interest has been registered by various parties to choose whether or not to sell at the price offered, or try their luck and relist it.

It's only an email after all.

In Mart360s' case the guy was an amatuer and deserved to be told to shuffle.
politley said..!!!

i wouldnt have minded, as its not my gear i,m selling, but given the condition and the price, he was taking the ****..

for the record, i have 100% feedback, and all the stuff i have sold to date has been either new, or in very good condition.

i have some attic clearance stuff going on soon, that is not new, and has a few knocks and scuffs these will be described, and the price adjusted accordingly..

thanks for the comments, at least i know its not just me..

Mart
Old 14 November 2004, 07:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK - thanks for that. But if I send a private mail and seller accepts my offer am I by passing the the e-bay system? I am not trying to do this intentionally? David
Old 14 November 2004, 07:42 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

David- yes you are and if he/she wishes, they can report you.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:43 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I've had the same, I sold a compaq ipaq (the network desktop system, not the hand held) with "Faulty PSU and no disk" written in about 25pt bold font.

Got one bloke who emailed me saying "So your selling a motherboard case and ram then" Yeah ? So what knobber ! It went for £100 in the end all said and done and the buyer was well chuffed.
Old 14 November 2004, 07:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
OK - thanks for that. But if I send a private mail and seller accepts my offer am I by passing the the e-bay system? I am not trying to do this intentionally? David
ive had this too, the guy in question mailed me and offered to close early for a sum, then when i went to check, i found he had allready closed the auction ..

he had made the same offer to the other buyer..

i reported him..... and he had to relist, and placed a big thing in his description about not ending the auction early... what a Knobber!!!!

ebay.... makes for some fun ??

M