Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you recycle ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2004, 08:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you recycle ?

My wife is into it, we now have a bin for glass only, I am tonight dutifully filling it with Stella Bottles, I like to do my bit you see.

Last edited by J4CKO; 12 November 2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12 November 2004, 09:51 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only paper/card - using the green boxes with lids the council provide....only have the odd glass bottle so that goes straight in the regular waste bin.

The green wheelie bin for food waste is a pain in the **** and I don't use it - cos i'm not traipsing down a flight of stairs every time I have left over food....plus if you forget to empty the small bucket type one even once like I did - the smell was minging..

Nice of them to spend my tax on these though - thought I might use it as rabbit run!

little'un
Old 12 November 2004, 10:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

All humans recycle and feed the worms in the end
Old 13 November 2004, 08:51 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

In Reading they've started giving out red wheelybins to those that ask (in addition to your normal black bin). When collected, there's more in the red bin that the black

They don't collect glass however. Need to go down bottle bank for that.

Joolz
Old 13 November 2004, 04:16 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I've been told that our local council stockpiles all the stuff people re-cyle, due to not enough facilities to take it and little demand.

I am now an ex-recycler.
Old 13 November 2004, 04:38 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

I am amazed at how different it is, as to which part of the country you are in

We have a green wheelie bin for cardboard boxes and grassing cuttings, plants, flowers etc, then we have a green box which you can bag up glass bottle and jars, tin foil, shoes, papers/mags, tins, clothes (this is a small box), then we have the black wheelie bin for anything else.

I never used to recycle until I was forced to with all these new boxes and bins. I find it quite easy now
Old 13 November 2004, 04:49 PM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

I recycle. However I remember reading that some bloke followed the recycling lorry and it went to the tip and dumped the glass and newspaper with the rest of the rubbish at a landfill site.
Old 13 November 2004, 04:51 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

People should be grateful, least they're getting wheely bins, best south kesteven council can pull off is 1 bin bag per week per house hold. WTF!!!!!! there only 2 of us in this house and we get approx 2-3 bin bags a week. god knows how a family of 4 or 5 get on our council is soooo **** I HONESTLY aint got a clue what they spend the money on cause its not on local services Ive really sat down and thought what do they spend on local's and its not much. friggin tight wads

dave

edit, forgot to add, yeah we recylce glass but usually drink out of cans but any bottles are put to 1 side. only get the sunday paper so its not really worth pi$$in about to take 1 paper a week to the recycle bins
Old 13 November 2004, 05:01 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Recycling is normal in Holland.
We have two wheelie bins, one coloured black for regular household rubbish and the other one is green for plant material. They are emptied on alternate weeks. There is a separate cardboard and paper collection once a month. We take recycle our glass and batteries too.

Suresh
Old 13 November 2004, 05:19 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

We used to take our stuff to be recycled but now it is so much easier as we have a blue and red box here now.

The red is for paper, envelopes and card. (Can put clothes and shoes in it but I take them to the charity shop)

The blue is for plastic bottles, glass, food tins, drinks cans.
I fill them both every week.

We collect bottle tops for charity, and I collect all sorts of containers and yoghurt pots for my class at school.

Can someone tell me why the council will take plastic bottles for recycling but not plastic food containers like the trays from ready meals???

Cath
Old 13 November 2004, 06:14 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

We started a recycling scheme here in Cardiff about a year ago.
At first I found it a pain having 2 wheelies and green bags as well. Now well into it, though I do think that the amount of excess packaging used by the supermarkets expecially is pathetic.

Just why does eveerything have to come in a box, bag, foil, shrinkwrap etc. Theres no need for about 50-60% of packaging. Government should do something about this as its not just the excess paper, plastic etc but all the pollution causing fuel that is used to produce this waste.

One of the worst offenders are fast food outlets like McDonalds etc who seem to have a policy of giving excess packaging with everything they sell.

Chip.
Old 13 November 2004, 06:31 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

i recycle paper (especially those free paper computer mags they keep sending) at work.

at home i dont - but thats only because i dont buy much anything that can be recycled. if i did, i would.
Old 13 November 2004, 07:17 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I don't like the look of the bins so took my recycling one to the tip. They just look to ugly outside the house, 1 bin is bad enough.