Yasser Arafat has died

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2004, 04:41 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yasser Arafat has died

See here

Not really sure how to feel about this news.
Old 11 November 2004, 05:17 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Jerome
Not really sure how to feel about this news.

Not a lot as a guess ?
Old 11 November 2004, 06:24 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by letdown
Not a lot as a guess ?
I meant whether or not it will cause untold (further) bloodshed in the region or usher in a new era of peace between Palestine and Israel. Somehow I doubt the latter will be the most likely.
Old 11 November 2004, 06:39 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry it was meant tongue in cheek.... I think you know that though !!
Old 11 November 2004, 06:40 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

He's been dead for about 2 weeks.
Old 11 November 2004, 06:44 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by zoog
He's been dead for about 2 weeks.

Ohhhh thats so insensitive !! RTM RTM !!
Old 11 November 2004, 07:05 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Feel sorry forthe people, that is the ordinary people, not the suicide bombers or the gun toting fanatics ..............
Old 11 November 2004, 08:02 AM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

happy he's dead, sad that there's no-one obvious stepping forward who could lead properly.

Also feel very sorry for the thousands of good honest palestinian people who have been led into poverty and terror by Arafat, and will probably be abused by the next set of leaders. (while there own families live it up in Paris...)

Overall, this has to be a good thing, cos it was going nowhere with Arafat..
Old 11 November 2004, 08:39 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

He always struck me as the Arthur Scargill of the Palestinians. You knew where he was coming from and understood his cause but kind of knew it would never get him anywhere in the long term. DL
Old 11 November 2004, 08:49 AM
ocean
Scooby Regular

Can anyone explain the historical reason behind the fact that France seems to be the place where Arabs leaders go to be in exile, get medical help, and pile up their ill gotten gains and extended families? Ayatollah Khomeini retuned to Iran from Paris after the revolution that got rid of the Shah in '79 - the most prominent example.

Probabaly explains why the French have been such craven appeasers of terror since 9/11 too.
Old 11 November 2004, 10:05 AM
geeva
Scooby Regular

Yasser’s demise in Paris means that he joins a list of legends to have died there…Jim Morrison inJuly‘71,Henri Paul in August‘97 and LUFC’s European Cup dreams in May’75.

Old 11 November 2004, 10:21 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Don't just blame Arafat for the fact there is no settlement. People like Ariel Sharon have no intention of making peace. The violence inflicted by the Israeli army plays right into the hands of the extremists.
Old 11 November 2004, 10:30 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

yeah those israeli army people are really evil, doing their job to try to protect women and children sitting in cafes from being blown up on their buses and whilst eating in pizza.

all those poor children that they kill that are always shown on the news, you know, the ones who throw petrol bombs at tanks, and are happy to die martyrs so that the palestinian authority will pay up the $5000 they promise the families of suicide bombers and others killed in the conflict in the most public way possible.

I take it you forget the palestinian civilians partying in the street after 9/11. don't recall israeli civilians or army cheering at that, or when the two soldiers were captured and beaten to death in palestinian police head quarters to have their bodies thrown out of the window and set fire to whilst the perpetrators held their bloody hands up in victory to receive a cheer from the civilian crowd. Nice.

don't recall israeli civilians doing that.

You can't make peace with people who want you dead, no matter how well they cover up that message.

It would be nice if they could leave in peace but arafat has brought the entire nation up to hate israel and want all jews dead. Until that ill feeling disappears from both sides, there will never be peace.
Old 11 November 2004, 10:31 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

This seems like a small window of opportunity for Sharon to genuinely pursue an agreement without losing face or public support. "Now that that man has gone... etc etc"
Old 11 November 2004, 10:43 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Try bothering to actually read my post next time, Adam M.
Old 11 November 2004, 11:13 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

He had his principles, but he wanted to play the role of wounded martyr rather than statesman.

I don't applaud his death, but feel that an impediment to peace in the Middle East has now disappeared.
Old 11 November 2004, 11:19 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

yes, I saw the word "just".
Old 11 November 2004, 11:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The death of one man is not going to solve the Israel vs Palestinian conflicts. It will never happen, both sides are as stubbourn as each other.
Old 11 November 2004, 11:30 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both sides want to kill each other. There are inhuman practices from both Israelis and the Palestinians.

Out of the two Israel is the stronger power and will naturally come across as the aggressor (to certain people). I can see both sides point-of-view, but I don't have much time for either.

Don't agree with the suicide bombing techniques of Arab states and don't like watching a young Palestinian child killed next to his father with an assualt rifle.

The only thing that annoys me is the West's hypocritical attitude towards the conflict, especially their so-called war on terrorism. i'd like to see the US invade Israel and Palastine to rid the world of some more terrorists.

Stefan
Old 11 November 2004, 11:57 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ocean
Can anyone explain the historical reason behind the fact that France seems to be the place where Arabs leaders go to be in exile, get medical help, and pile up their ill gotten gains and extended families? Ayatollah Khomeini retuned to Iran from Paris after the revolution that got rid of the Shah in '79 - the most prominent example.

Probabaly explains why the French have been such craven appeasers of terror since 9/11 too.
Well they used to control most of the arab countries and now they make billions selling them arms .......
Old 11 November 2004, 12:15 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by the moose
He had his principles, but he wanted to play the role of wounded martyr rather than statesman.

I don't applaud his death, but feel that an impediment to peace in the Middle East has now disappeared.
but the biggest impediments - Ariel Sharon & unfaltering US support for Isreali aggression - still remain.
Old 11 November 2004, 12:28 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Apparently Yasser Arafat’s going to be buried in a Newcastle top with Spurs shorts and Rangers socks.

He said he wanted to be buried in the Gazza strip.

* sorry I'll get my coat...
Old 11 November 2004, 12:37 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
yeah those israeli army people are really evil, doing their job to try to protect women and children sitting in cafes from being blown up on their buses and whilst eating in pizza.

all those poor children that they kill that are always shown on the news, you know, the ones who throw petrol bombs at tanks, and are happy to die martyrs so that the palestinian authority will pay up the $5000 they promise the families of suicide bombers and others killed in the conflict in the most public way possible.

I take it you forget the palestinian civilians partying in the street after 9/11. don't recall israeli civilians or army cheering at that, or when the two soldiers were captured and beaten to death in palestinian police head quarters to have their bodies thrown out of the window and set fire to whilst the perpetrators held their bloody hands up in victory to receive a cheer from the civilian crowd. Nice.

don't recall israeli civilians doing that.

You can't make peace with people who want you dead, no matter how well they cover up that message.

It would be nice if they could leave in peace but arafat has brought the entire nation up to hate israel and want all jews dead. Until that ill feeling disappears from both sides, there will never be peace.
I'm no expert on the situation but one thing i'm fairly certain is that there have been atrocities on both sides. I dont really think you can call one side worse than the other, unless you have natural allegiances/prejudices.

To any objective observer the whole situation is very sad and incredibly frustrating.
Old 11 November 2004, 02:39 PM
Progressive
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ocean

Kinda like how you people tolerate radical Islamists in London yet do nothing about it?

Quite hypocritical to condemn France for the same thing you Brits do

At least France takes an active effort in integrating the Muslim population, what does England do? lol
Old 11 November 2004, 02:55 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Progressive
Kinda like how you people tolerate radical Islamists in London yet do nothing about it?

Quite hypocritical to condemn France for the same thing you Brits do

At least France takes an active effort in integrating the Muslim population, what does England do? lol
Dont think that was really called for was it? the muslim population are very much intergrated into britain/england. completely off topic
Old 11 November 2004, 03:04 PM
Progressive
Scooby Newbie

Sorry but he made a dumb comment about the French being appeasers of terror, so I had to call him out on it.
Old 11 November 2004, 04:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Hmmmmmmmmm, something along the lines of not allowing the wearing of religious headscarves in schools?

Alcazar
Old 11 November 2004, 04:13 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

may he rest in peace, only respect him for what he done for palestine and its cause and coz of him the world knows about the palestinian struggle

wish the sick b@stards sharon, netanyahu, silvan shalom, shoval mofaz went with him, those men deserve to die like pigs, arafat stood up to their nazism
Old 11 November 2004, 04:47 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

they all have blood on their hands Moses.

and do you really think Arafat has helped the Palestinians? really?
Old 11 November 2004, 04:57 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The French banned Muslim headdress for girls in school - (is this still banned?) and are notoriously racist and xenophobic (bloody French.... - JOKE) so don't really make a huge effort to integrate their imigrants - unless integration means assimilation....

The whole mid-east peace process is incredibly frustrating and sad - all comes down to the right of return in my understanding. Both sides have committed attrocities but a comparision/argument over who has done what, and who's been the worst is fruitless in resolving the situation. Similalry both peoples can show a legitmate claim to living in the territory (as legitimate as pretty much any other country round the world). Palestinians want land, Israelis want security. Israelis will remove the settlements (the presence of which and the building of new ones does take the pss IMO), but Palestinians want the right to return to Israel, and bring their dependants with them, from when they were expelled as a result of the 6 Day and Yom Kippur War. - Technically loads of Palestinains were kicked out, but lots also chose to leave, having been informed by the Arab nations that they were about to attack Israel. Anyway, Israel, from a purely tactical perspective simply won't allow the right of return - regardless of whether this is morally correct or not, as it would mean that Israelis would be hugely outnumbered within their "own" borders. What they have offered is compensation payments to each family instead of this, but for obvious resons this has been rejected. Both sides have got to give, and whilst the Israelis are offering - as much as I beleive they can practically do, any settlement will leave a bitter taste in the Palestinians mouths as they are effectively in the situation where any deal they are offered is a "this is the best you're gonna get so take it or leave it" one....

I genuinely wouldn't wish anyone dead, but Arafat didn't want compromise or Peace. I'm glad in a sense that he is no longer in power as it perhaps paves the way for someone who is open to a compromise situation - but the consequent problem seems to be who is going to take over. He was so protective over his position that there is no obvious or groomed sucessor, and this means that the various powers and factions will fight amongst themsleves, leading to perhaps Hamas or one of the other extremist factions taking power. In terms of reaching a peaceful conclusion - this is probably worse than Arafat and I don't think the Palestainian people or the Israeli's will benefit.

Hope no one's offended - I think that's a pretty fair/unbiased view of the situation???

p.s. Moses - if you can speak Arabic and have seen footage of some of Arafat's speeches you can't possibly accept that Arafat was a champion of peace and that he didn't demonstrate the very qualities you ascribe to the Israeli leadership. IMO your attitude is unhelpful. Ranting and raving about the misdemeanors of either side wont help resolve anything or lead to a mutual understanding between the two peoples out there.

Quick Reply: Yasser Arafat has died