Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Macular degeneration

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2004, 01:13 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macular degeneration

Found out yesterday that my mum's eyesight has deteriorated rapidly in the last few weeks. She is 63 and was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration about a year ago. She is going in tomorrow for tests, but I am just devastated (as she is) that it is happening so quickly. Cried for the first time in many years last night. The thought of my mum going blind, and how frightened she must be is breaking my heart

I am taking time off this week to do as much research into it as possible. I know there have been some recent advances in treatment for the 'wet' form of this, and some stem-cell research that might help in treating the 'dry' form in years to come. She won't know until tomorrow which type she has, but the recent speed in the degradation of her vision suggests it might be the 'wet' form.

Anyone had to cope with this personally? I'm struggling with this news at the moment.
Old 08 November 2004, 01:47 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I can't really help, but I'm sorry for your news and I hope that you and your family can cope with this devastating illness.

Clare
Old 08 November 2004, 03:33 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I can't really help, but I'm sorry for your news and I hope that you and your family can cope with this devastating illness.

Clare

Thanks Clare - that's appreciated.
Old 08 November 2004, 03:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

My sympathies (for what they are woth).

Please don't take this as cold and callous, but it may be worth getting in touch with the RNIB or other such organisations to see what you can do to prepare if the worst does happen and she looses her sight. I can't imagine what it must be like to go through this, but many others do and will be able to offer support and advice.