Which Ski Resort?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2004, 10:57 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Ski Resort?

Hi all,

Can any1 recommend a resort thats decent for both skier and boarder?
I went skiing with my collage a few moons ago now and loved it! But last year I took some boarding lessons with a m8 (he was preparing to goto Canada for his sisters boarding/ wedding holiday, luck barsteward) and I became hooked and long for the freedom of the slops once more

A few of the lads that I'm hoping to go with are students so price is very much going to be an issue (about 6 of us atm). I'm thinking about Prague but the yobish image I'm reading about is putting me off a bit. Although, it is going to be a lads holiday so some sort of nightlife would be cool and with out stupendous drink prices!

The cheapest package I've found so far (in Prague) is around the £600-700 mark, inc. travel, hotel, ski pass and hire. Is this the best I can really hope for?

I've been reading
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=skiing
but any more advice, suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Anthony
Old 04 November 2004, 11:29 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

There's no skiing in Prague. It's about a 2 or 3 hour drive north. The pricing seems very high, I went last year and paid 25 pounds for a 5 day ski pass and the same for accomodation. Easyjet for the flight was under £50. The skiiing wasn't great, but it was good. The resort was a lot of fun, we were the only English people in town.
Old 05 November 2004, 04:49 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Last few years we've done our own DIY package to various places in the French Alps. Cheap Easyjet flights to Geneva (~£80 each), cheap hirecar from there (~£50 each), and then self catering apartment (~£140 each). Try pierreetvacances.com as they have a great selection of resorts, and really nice apartments.

Good resorts would be Les Arcs, Les 3 Alpes, Serre Chevalier, Meribel, Val Thorens, etc. Check the World Snowboard Guide or goski.com for resort info. Both of those links are informative about the mountains and the off-piste 'activities'.

As has been said, Prague don't sound too good! Might be worth looking at the big Andorra resorts though? Got a good reputation as a lively destination.

Good luck.
Old 05 November 2004, 05:37 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

No contest - if everyone is beginner/intermediate the Pas de la Casa in Andorra wins hands down, tax free prices and good night life, majority English first language instructors (some find this very important esp when learning) average to good snow record

or if not Sauze d Oulx (or "Suzy does it" as some people call it ) in Italy is also supposed to be good.

There are other options like Bulgaria but imho you would be best off in Pas de la Casa as apres is cheep and the ski area is bigger than any in Bulgaria etc.

If you want to spend a bit more then St Anton is good party atmosphere but not great for boarders Val D'isare or Meribel similar but expensive

Andy
Old 05 November 2004, 06:35 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Try this website

www.snowbombing.com.uk

Should be just right for a group of lads. Not 100% sure about the state of the snow but I am going there as it sounds reasonably cheap!

Hope it helps!
Old 05 November 2004, 07:04 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

We went on a lads trip to Val D'lsere last year, in early March.

Booked a last minute deal with skiline.com, £300 each including flights, transfer, accomodation and breakfast and dinner!!! Ski pass for 6 days, inlcudes Val and Tignes, was around............had to look in jacket - 181 Euro's.

The skiing was fantastic, powder snow all week, due to snow every night. So many runs you'd do well to ski half of them. Runs generally suited to advanced beginners upward, but some decent beginner slopes too.

The drinks in bars were quite expensive, no more so than any city in the UK, so ingnore any comments abot the cost of Val.

Dan
Old 06 November 2004, 11:15 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 106rallye
No contest - if everyone is beginner/intermediate the Pas de la Casa in Andorra wins hands down, tax free prices and good night life, majority English first language instructors
I passed through Andorra on a drive early this year. The town in Andorra was fantastic, but the resorts were like Malaga on Ice. All Club Reps, Stella and Full English. Made me sick, literaly.
Old 06 November 2004, 12:22 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by JackClark
Stella and Full English. Made me sick, literaly.
He did say it was for students though, sounds like an average weekend!

I have never been to Pas de La Casa before but all I have heard from people that have been there is that the skiing is good up to intermediate, and it is very good value with good night life and instruction.

Skiing can never be described as a cheap holiday but I have worked in Austria and the 3 valleys and even with the latest deal possible to the 'top' resorts seemingly a bargain - lift passes, hire, apres are all very expensive

eg 3 valley pass €228, board hire, €90, pint €5, meal out at least €30 a head for somewhere good, lunch on the mountain etc....

If you don't mind more expensive then St Anton, Verbier, Zermatt, Val Disere, Meribel, Courchevel all really good but there are lots of hidden extra costs!

I am sure if you go as a group wherever you go you will have a laugh!

Andy
Old 11 November 2004, 07:32 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your replays guy's

After a bit more research its looking like Pas de la Casa is the number one contender, cheers Andy. Personally I'd prefer to goto the three valleys or something but I'll just be pleased to hit the slopes again

Also, baring in mind there is a group of us going, would a nice'er' hotel with a pool, Jacuzzi etc be wasted as we try to maximize slope and drinking time, as they are at a premium (only 7days etc) and therefor would you say it would be better to get a cheeper apartment?
Do you guys have all your own gear or do you just hire it here b4 you go when your out there? And also whats the score on ski passes? I've seen a variation on prices (taking into account high/ low season). Is it best to source them when your there?

Cheers guys
Anthony
Old 11 November 2004, 08:10 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Depends how many are going, in France fully catered will work out cheaper in the end especially as they usually give you free wine with dinner! But in Andorra dunno as it may be cheaper going out!

Buy the lift pass through your hotel when you get out there or from your rep as they will not pay any more and they should get you the cheapest! plus they might get commission and trust me on their wages they need it!

All you need is a warm clean basic hotel as the average day will go - get up, have breakfast, ski all day, après ski beers, dinner, shower , out till late!

Alternatively you could consider a catered chalet with wine included if there is enough of you! then you minimise the hidden costs tho be prepared for a night out when the chalet hosts have a night off

Imho buying is not worth it at the moment tho sometimes rental boards are not that great check it out when you are out there

If you do decide on the three valleys instead I am working in a bar in Meribel this season and I know the area well so could give you a few ideas there as well!

Good luck with the choice!

Andy