Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any keyboard experts out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2004, 03:46 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any keyboard experts out there?

Mrs R used to play the piano and has expressed an interest in starting again.
Don't want a piano in the house but something electronic with a full sized keyboard would do the trick.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Any brands to be avoided, any particularly good?
What do I need to spend to get something good?
Is there a good second-hand market? And do they last long ( ie are they a good second-hand buy)

All constructive help welcomed.
Ta
R
Old 03 November 2004, 04:03 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i bought an electronic piano to learn on with my kid, about £2k....Clavinova Yamaha thing.

Out teacher (who plays/composes for a living for TV an movies) ays it is superb in feel and sound. anda you can play with earphones its even better!

i can think of NO reason to have a real one when it will be used in a family home for some practice at times...no one wants to hear that!
Old 03 November 2004, 04:09 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

Lots available both new and used. Best to go to a shop and ask for advice, but don't be badgered into buying a really expensive one as until you can play to a certain standard additional features are merely toys.

I've a Casio but prefer my piano (a Lipp upright grand) by far for both feel and tone.

It's possible you could actually just hire a keyboard for a while then buy at preferential rate if a maestro emerges!!

Whatever you get you'll enjoy it!
Old 03 November 2004, 05:16 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

srcond vote for clavinova, properly weighted keys which respond to how much pressure is applied and as said before the headphones are great + no tuning needed!

Andy
Old 03 November 2004, 05:46 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've played for 25yrs and actually play as a session muscian (amongst other things) -

Clavinova, again, are great. As are Technics (usually used), Korg, and Roland. I've got a Kurzweil at present (mega dough though!)

For just a normal 66-key keyboard, prices vary from £50 upwards.
For 76-keys, you'd be looking at Korgs and Yammys
There aren't that many 88-note unweighted keyboards out there.

FWIW, I'd look Here for a used bargain.

To hear the sounds, go to any of the websites and download the demo tunes

Dan
Old 03 November 2004, 06:27 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Note the difference between a keyboard and an electronic piano. Keyboards with full sized touch sensitive keys and half decent piano noises are availble new for only a couple of hundred quid, up to a couple of grand for top of the range workstations. The cheaper ones don't really sound like a piano, and none of them feel like one. However, they can do some simply amazing things if you want them to and know how.

Clavinovas etc are electronic pianos. They often don't have half the features, but usually have weighted keys and so play much more like a piano. Generally, they sound a lot more piano like. Cheaper ones only have a few sounds or 'voices'.

You can also get "home entertainment pianos", with quite a lot of features and the benefits of a electronic piano, but tend to be expensive (quite a few £k for a good one).

None of them tend to break down very often with domestic use, IMHO. I've never broken one, anyway! Personally, I have a Yamaha Tyros, which is great. It's a top end keyboard which sounds amazing and does a lot of great things, but it still doesn't feel anything like a real piano.

Last edited by hades; 03 November 2004 at 06:29 PM.