Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Psion Revo vs. Palm (kbd vs. sans)

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 09:42 AM
miksmi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any opinions of the Revo/Revo Plus? Seems no one on my side of the Atlantic knows about Psion. I've used a Palm III but I want a keyboard for taking meeting notes. Opinions on Revo's keyboard?

I know it's no PC keyboard but is it large enough for touch typing? Narrow enough to type with your thumbs? Can I take notes during a meeting without too much duress? Can I sit back in a nice comfy chair and type away with the Revo in my lap?

Another option is a keyboard like Palm's folding Stowaway (Think Outside makes it) or a fixed one like LandWare GoType! (which will fit on your lap).

A Series 7 is a bit expensive for me.
Old 28 November 2000, 09:49 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've got a series 5, and a friend has just bought the revo plus. Screen is very clear, and keyboard is usable.

Another option, as you rightly point out, is the Palm with a folding keyboard. Another friend has one of these, and it's a marvel of technology...

Personally, I like the EPOC system and so would go with the REVO plus...
Old 28 November 2000, 11:57 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

I've had a psion 3, 3c, 5, casiopeia e105 and a palm IIIx.

My current revo plus is brilliant. the other PDAs are gathering dust.

The keyboard takes a bit of practice and is no where as good as the psion 5. Also it connected to the web and my email without probs via my 8210. 5 stars.
Old 28 November 2000, 01:38 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Anything Psion is the dog danglies. Buy one today!!

(I would say that coz the value of my Psion stock is dropping like a rock, no..check that....planet!!!)
Old 29 November 2000, 02:25 AM
miksmi
Scooby Regular

DavidLewis, please help this daft Yank, "Psion is the dog danglies" -- does that mean good or bad? I can't imagine anyone's danglies being good but like I said, I'm daft. (Sorry about the stock.)

chiark, Fosters, thanks your opinions (wow, Fosters, you're a PDA hound ). I'm still sitting on the fence about the Revo vs. a keyboard for a Palm. "usable" and "takes a bit of practice" describe the keyboard. Does this mean you are able to touch type (like sitting a typewriter, err, PC keyboard) or thumb type (PDA cradled in your open palms, typing with your thumbs only)?

Cheers m8s,

..Mike Smith
Old 29 November 2000, 03:32 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Wink

"The Dog's Danglies" as in "The Mutt's Nuts", or "The Dog's B0110cks" or any other way of saying, the canine's *********.
An expression meaning something is extremely good or impressive.
Hope this help or makes some sense.
Martin.
Old 29 November 2000, 08:01 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Are you the real Mike Smith? we are not worthy.

After some practice, the typing on the revo gets quite intuitive and therefore fairly quick, but it's no PC keyboard. I am happy to write email, but nothing more!

I went from the casiopeia with it's 65K colour TFT screen, which plays MP3 and video clips to a black and white revo plus with a keyboard and I'm happy about it.

that should say something! that was my choice though. a lot of people wouldn't give up their palm V for anything - unlike them I don't think they're the mutt's nuts.

Old 29 November 2000, 09:47 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you want the smallest and lightest PDA there is no comparison to the Palm 5x. You get used to the stylus very quickly and there is easily enough software around to suit everyone. I have friends with Palm 5Xs as well as Psions and the ones who have the Palms say that compactness was the main thing for them - top pocket of your shirt with no problems.

Hope this helps.
Old 29 November 2000, 02:30 PM
miksmi
Scooby Regular

Talking

M_D_B: LOL, Thanks! Gosh I feel so empowered knowing a Brit colloquialism.

Fosters: Wow, you gave up a lot of features from the Casiopeia to the Revo; that speaks volumes. But what about Revo touch typing vs. thumb typing? Am I dreaming of the touch typing? Is 157mm wide enough for touch typing? Argh, I wish I could find one of these in a local store.

AWD: Thanks. I was ogling my brothers Vx just yesterday. What a beautiful work of art! But no kbd hence my dilemma. To Palm keyboard or to Revo, that is the question.

Everyone, I really appreciate the replies. I realize you don't know me from Adam. Though Simon sure does.. ask him how many times we exchanged email trying to figure out a way to ship me ScoobyNet clothing and to send US funds to the UK (for a reasonable fee). He knows me as "The Yank that won't go away".

..Mike Smith . No, the other one.
Old 29 November 2000, 04:03 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by miksmi:
<B>AWD: Thanks. I was ogling my brothers Vx just yesterday. What a beautiful work of art! But no kbd hence my dilemma. To Palm keyboard or to Revo, that is the question.
..Mike Smith . No, the other one.[/quote]

The foldaway keyboard for the palms are superb. Folds up to almost exactly the same size as the Palm itself but extends to a full size Qwerty with proper feeling key action. Pull it out of your pocket on the train, unfold it, hook it up to your sexy Palm Vx and all the Vaio-toting poseurs start to look real sheepish while everyone coos over your kit!!!

Old 30 November 2000, 09:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The foldaway is good, but my friend's takes up a bit of space and cannot be used unless on a hard surface.

If I had the money, I'd buy a HP Journada 720. And if I had twice the money, it'd be one of those Sony Vaio digital diary thingies.
Old 30 November 2000, 09:33 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

The HP Jornada and the Vaio are very good, but a lot larger than the Psion which in turn is larger than the Palm 5x.

Basically you need to work out what you'll be using it for. If you don't need fancy PC abilities, then forget the Sony and HP, if you need journal type abilities, diary, database lookup etc. only, and if size is important then the Palm is the best option.

Old 30 November 2000, 04:02 PM
miksmi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Vaio-toting poseurs start to look real sheepish while everyone coos over your kit!!!
jbryant
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> LOL!

I like the compactness of the folding Palm Stowaway keyboard (fine if a table is handy) <B>but</B> I also want to jot down notes at home (where I might be sitting in a comfy chair and have the PDA in my lap). That's why I'm leaning toward the LandWare GoType!