Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 5th GEAR

repeated tomorrow.

Those Smart cars look good
Old 01 November 2004, 09:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You thinking of modding yours like that, Phil?
Old 01 November 2004, 10:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

They were seriously impressive in the crash tests! Did you see the way the Fiat Uno (I think) crumpled under impact? OMFG - you wouldn't want to be in a crash in one of those!
Old 01 November 2004, 10:05 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

The Fiat was a modern(ish) Seicento. I hate to think what state an Uno would have been in
Old 01 November 2004, 10:06 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would like to see a 2CV have a go
Old 01 November 2004, 10:22 PM
LMRnav2
Scooby Regular

smart looked good in crash, but at the end after the 70mph one they said you would definatly die in that crash, even if the the steel shell thing stayed intact!
Old 02 November 2004, 09:46 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I didnt undertstand their comments on 'you would die anyway'. F1 drivers crash and live at far higher speeds into barriers - their deceleration must be much quicker yet their internal organs manage it.

Good to see the strength of the Smart but I still feel happier with a whole lot more car around me !!
Old 02 November 2004, 10:19 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

also saw this
they were claiming 70-0 in one second as fatal in terms of g forces but my flawed maths make this about 3g dont top fuel drag cars nearly make this?
anyone make it any different?
richie
Old 02 November 2004, 12:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Survival at those speeds is purely down to the seats and seat belts...in road cars they simply don't work. Also remember the only thing holding your head on is a flimsy bit of spine (thus the need for airbags). Racecars use 5 point harneses, these distribute the forces more evenly over the body and hold you tighter against the moulded high sided seats. Neck braces and helmet protect your spine and head.

There is a valid argument that by not wearing a belt - and getting flung out from the car (if your lucky) during impact at speeds above 60mph you'd stand more chance of surviving. Obviously puely depends on being ejected from the car, and that you don't land in the path of an oncomming truck Perhaps cars should have ejector seats these days?
Old 02 November 2004, 12:19 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Ali-B - you say Car seat belts just dont work - a 5 point harness may hold you more comfortably, but unless a car seat belt breaks that also will hold you in the car. They do work. The Smart belt gave a bit to ease the deceleration before then tightening. A Racecar just holds you tight and transmits all the deceleration to your body, as there is no give.
Old 02 November 2004, 12:51 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richieh
also saw this
they were claiming 70-0 in one second as fatal in terms of g forces but my flawed maths make this about 3g dont top fuel drag cars nearly make this?
anyone make it any different?
richie
I think the "one second" bit was more a figure of speech, the actual time from 70-0 in their test would be much less than this, almost instantaneous and almost certainly fatal IMO!
Old 02 November 2004, 01:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dtriggs
Ali-B - you say Car seat belts just dont work - a 5 point harness may hold you more comfortably, but unless a car seat belt breaks that also will hold you in the car. They do work. The Smart belt gave a bit to ease the deceleration before then tightening. A Racecar just holds you tight and transmits all the deceleration to your body, as there is no give.
I think you missed a vital few words "Survival at THOSE SPEEDS" that were quoted (impact speed of 70mph)

Point being a 3point belt puts a massive amount of pressure on a very small surface area, literally crushing organs. Give on them is due to streching of the woven fabric, just like race harnesses. The fact that cars use explosive pre-tensioners to pull you back into the seat, whereas with harnesses your already held in the seat in the first place shows that too much give in the belt is not entirely wanted. A 3point belt also forces your body and spine to twist due to only one shoulder held in position further adds to the injuries and whiplash. At what would be considered "normal" crash speeds, 3 point belts work satisfactoraily. Although severe injury is likely, the belt just about "does its job". The question arises of "could it be better"? An impact speed of 30mph (remember speed of impact, not travelling speed prior to it - the driver is braking rather hard )will cause quite heavy injuries, possibly even life threatening.

You have to question that is a 60 year old restraint device with a few explosive bolted on really the ideal solution in this era?

So when people ask why someone in a car dies in a in impact of 70mph whilst a race car driver survives, my explaination is pretty obvious.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 November 2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02 November 2004, 02:50 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

which is why I cringed when Jason "im a muppet" Plato stated, not to get the optional race harnesses for the 575m their rubbish they really hold you in the seat.

I bet he uses a 3 point belt in his touring car doesnt he. idiot
Old 02 November 2004, 03:03 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

what about his "just to show you how cool I am I'll suck on my sunglasses and not look where I'm going while I'm doing 160"? My hero!