Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What do you need for to go shooting?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2004, 11:56 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you need for to go shooting?

There are a number of shooting enthusiasts on the forum, so I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know what I'm going to need for a really quite posh shooting weekend.

My assumptions are: daft trousers of some sort, ridiculous furry shirt/tie, Barbour, nasty jumper. Clearly I'm going to look like a complete idiot, but hey, that's all part of the fun.

So what do I need to get, where can I get it, and just how much is this going to set me back?
Old 01 November 2004, 12:00 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I'd have thought a gun would be most important
Old 01 November 2004, 12:03 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Do you know what sort of shoot it is?
Old 01 November 2004, 12:03 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Certain areas in the inner-London area are ideal. Just go around and be offensive to a few likely looking people and you will see a whole multitude of weapons appear.

I think the clothes that you have described will help facilitate the above.

Steve.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:05 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change your name to Farquhar
Old 01 November 2004, 12:05 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Posh shooting ? Are you shooting clays or birds ? Or are you rifle shooting ?

Location of shoot and type of target would help.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:08 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Hmm, not entirely helpful comments.

It'll be a pheasant shoot, guns will be provided, and I'll have an instructor/coach for the duration.

The silly clothes are, well, going to be silly, but all part of the tradition, I suppose. The question is where to obtain said daft garments more than anything else.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:11 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't bother dressing up like Lord Ponsenby-Smythe if I were you. Just take something warm & comfy and padded at the shoulder if you're not used to the kick of a shotgun. And *try* not to shoot the beaters, tempting though it is
Old 01 November 2004, 12:13 PM
cigarboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
and I'll have an instructor/coach for the duration.
If thats the case I wouldn't worry too much about togs - they know its not your natural habitat so to speak so will cut a lot more slack
Old 01 November 2004, 12:15 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I wouldn't bother dressing up like Lord Ponsenby-Smythe if I were you. Just take something warm & comfy and padded at the shoulder if you're not used to the kick of a shotgun. And *try* not to shoot the beaters, tempting though it is
Note, I said "posh". No, I don't want to look like an extra in Gosford Park, nor do I want to want to spend many hundreds of pounds on clothing I'll never use again, but be assured, the shirt/tie/breeks element is essential at this eveent, stupid as it sounds.

Ideally I'd hire the kit, or buy secondhand, because nothing looks as stupid as shiny new "look, I'm a ****" clothing.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:15 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You don't need to wear tweed plus-fours and a deer stalker hat, just wear some earthy coloured smartish clothes (so you don't look like Al on caddyshack and scare all the birds away! ), like olive coloured trousers, brown checked shirt, tie (depending on how formal the shoot is) and a comfortable olive or brown jacket that isn't too baggy on the shoulder or it will hinder mounting the gun.

Will you be beating aswell? If so then thornproof clothes like a barber jacket is a bonus!
Old 01 November 2004, 12:19 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
You don't need to wear tweed plus-fours and a deer stalker hat, just wear some earthy coloured smartish clothes (so you don't look like Al on caddyshack and scare all the birds away! ), like olive coloured trousers, brown checked shirt, tie (depending on how formal the shoot is) and a comfortable olive or brown jacket that isn't too baggy on the shoulder or it will hinder mounting the gun.

Will you be beating aswell? If so then thornproof clothes like a barber jacket is a bonus!
Yep, it's that formal; a tie is essential. And no, I'll I'll not be beating.

Hell, given the choice I'd wear walking boots. goretex walking trousers, and a ski jacket. It's the shooting I want to do, not the fashion parade bit. As it's a social/business event, I've got to bow to the host's wishes, but the last thing I want to do is look like an utter spamhead.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Will Beck's be there?
Old 01 November 2004, 12:41 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Myself I wear green cords, nice warm jumper, wax jacket + leggings (barbour) Hunter wellies lined with neoprene and a nice flat cap, looks very smart and is very practical for a good days shooting

Andy
Old 01 November 2004, 01:04 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

In addition to the green cords and flat cap.............a well trained gun dog (labrador or similar would do ). If not you will have to pick up your own birds, either that or the guy next to ya will get his dog to collect. If it's really posh, I mean really they might lend you a dog for the day
Old 01 November 2004, 01:08 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

The Moose moves to the firing area with the gun case. Charles offers The Moose the ear protectors.
Charles: Would you like these?
The Moose: No, thank you. I can't concentrate on music when I'm shooting!
He takes the gun from case and stands. All we see of the gun is the wooden butt which is just above his waist.

The Moose: (Calling to Loader) Ready when you are, John!
Loader: (Calling back) Do you mean 'pull?'
The Moose: Sorry, Paul! In your own time, son!

The loader shrugs and pulls the firing handle. We see the discs fly through the air. The Moose now brings the gun up for us to see. It is a sawn-off, single barrel, pump action shotgun.
He fires from the hip, pumps and fires again. We see the two discs, they do not merely shatter, they explode. We hear the triple-echo resounding across the countryside.

Debris is falling everywhere. We see the guests ducking from it.
Now silence falls all around. Everyone except The Moose, is left open-mouthed by what they have just witnessed.
The Moose has the still smoking gun resting on his hip, man with no name fashion.
The Moose brings the gun up to his lips and blows the smoke away.

The Moose: (To Henry) You wait 'till I get my eye in!
The Moose wanders away, feeling very proud of himself. He passes the incredulous Rodney.
Rodney: Where d'you get that gun from?
The Moose: I borrowed it from Iggy Higgins.
Rodney: Iggy Higgins? But Iggy Higgins robs banks!
The Moose: I know! But it's Saturday!
The Moose wanders away towards buffet. Rodney is frozen to the spot.

D
Old 01 November 2004, 01:23 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

the moose,

Just go into any quality gunshop to get kitted out. Do note though that it'll all add up. You don't say where in the world you are, so cannot recommend anywhere for you.

Ian
Old 01 November 2004, 01:30 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
the moose,

Just go into any quality gunshop to get kitted out. Do note though that it'll all add up. You don't say where in the world you are, so cannot recommend anywhere for you.

Ian
Ta - I'm in Herts, based around Hemel during the day. And yes, I'm aware it's going to cost; frankly, it's a bit annoying to essentially waste money on clothing I'm clearly only going to wear once
Old 01 November 2004, 01:33 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Oh if you can't get a trained gun dog just take your scooby

Apologies if I'm not being helpful
Old 01 November 2004, 01:46 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk

The Moose moves to the firing area with the gun case. Charles offers The Moose the ear protectors.
He takes the gun from case and stands. All we see of the gun is the wooden butt which is just above his waist.

The loader shrugs and pulls the firing handle. We see the discs fly through the air. The Moose now brings the gun up for us to see. It is a sawn-off, single barrel, pump action shotgun.
He fires from the hip, pumps and fires again. We see the two discs, they do not merely shatter, they explode. We hear the triple-echo resounding across the countryside.

Now silence falls all around. Everyone except The Moose, is left open-mouthed by what they have just witnessed.
The Moose has the still smoking gun resting on his hip, man with no name fashion.

The Moose wanders away, feeling very proud of himself. He passes the incredulous Rodney.

D

Excellent!
Old 01 November 2004, 02:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

D
This was the first thing that came to mind; a pumpy is seldom appreciated. More importantly; its un-sportsmanlike to shoot at each bird more than once.

Simon
Old 01 November 2004, 02:18 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Well, quick search for you find Atkin Grant and Lang gun shop in Markyate which is just north of St.Albans/Hemel. Looks like the sort of place that will fit you out easily. it is located at the Broomhills Shooting Ground.

I would give them a bell first to see if they stock the sort of thing you are after before you head up there.

Cheers

Ian
Old 01 November 2004, 02:22 PM
ChrisB

Talking

D
Superb, utterly superb
Old 01 November 2004, 02:33 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
Well, quick search for you find Atkin Grant and Lang gun shop in Markyate which is just north of St.Albans/Hemel. Looks like the sort of place that will fit you out easily. it is located at the Broomhills Shooting Ground.

I would give them a bell first to see if they stock the sort of thing you are after before you head up there.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks - exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Old 01 November 2004, 02:45 PM
Catwoman
Scooby Regular

You could of course wear a jumper that says

"I've come out today to murder all you poor defensless birds that have been bred just so I can kill them and call it a good days sport"

Old 01 November 2004, 03:01 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Catwoman

"I've come out today to murder all you poor defensless birds that have been bred just so I can kill them and call it a good days sport"

Yep!

I'm against hunting only because of the ludicrous arguments put forward about pest control. I really couldn't give a stuff about foxes per se.

And given that all the pheasants shot will be eaten, what's the problem? As you say, that's what they were bred for.
Old 01 November 2004, 03:02 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The finest quality, but well worn Barbour clothing is a must. Fortunately there is tons of it on Ebay.

I bought a great waxed cotton Barbour jacket for motorcycle trials riding for just £50.

Old 01 November 2004, 03:06 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Who said he'll hit any ?

D
Old 01 November 2004, 03:08 PM
Catwoman
Scooby Regular

The thing is Moose, its not even skillfull! I clay shoot at least there is some skill involved. Half the birds are not eaten - fact! The beaters beat them so you know where to shoot, no skill involved in that. There is no argument, its barbaric like fox hunting and the human race should know better. If you want to go into the countryside and blast a living creature to death then lets get those *******s in prison who are on long sentances for murder, rape, child molesting etc and chase them round the countryside with dogs and guns! not creatures that have as much right to exist in the world as humans
Old 01 November 2004, 03:15 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The thing is Moose, its not even skillfull!
Not skillful? I shoot sporting clays in AA class and in my opinion live game is often more challenging than clays (due to increased lead perception and unpredictability! If the pheasant shoot is well planned you should never get easy or unsporting targets anyway.

Quick Reply: What do you need for to go shooting?