Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sea fishing - West of Ireland

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2004, 07:44 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea fishing - West of Ireland

For the last three years, around 10 of us from my local pub have spent a week sea (boat) fishing in Ireland. We've been to Co. Donegal each time and, although we've had good times, we'd like to try somewhere different next year.

We're thinking of somewhere around Galway, so does anyone know anything about sea fishing in that area?

I've had a quick Google and think that we may end up in Connemara as there certainly seems to be some choice there, however if anyone can recommend any boats/skippers, accommodation, etc., I'd appreciate any guidance.

This year, we had B&B at €25 each per night in a guest house directly across the road from a hotel that did evening meals and had live music on several nights. The boat was €300 per day (split 10 ways). Anything similar around Galway Bay would be good.

TIA
Old 02 November 2004, 09:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think there is some very good fishing to be had there although I have never had the chance to go mYself. I heard that in some place, I don't know where, they catch enormous Skate, 100 lbs plus! Have a great time anyway.

Les
Old 02 November 2004, 10:02 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Their is a place called Castletownbere, beatiful fihing village, or you could try Skibereen again a great place to fish
Cheers
Colin
Old 02 November 2004, 10:10 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Not sure about Western Ireland, but I know Southern Ireland is good angling. I sailed the coast around Crookhaven with my family several years ago. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to fish ourselves but you could stop the angling boats as they came back in to buy fresh fish from them direct, and the catch looked pretty pleantiful from what I remember!
Old 02 November 2004, 11:40 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Castletownbere, Skibereen, and Crookhaven are all in the south westof ireland and Skibereen is on a river inland - Baltimore ( the original one) or Schull are the two nearest harbours to it.

All great places with excellent fishing, but not anywhere near Galway. To answer the man's question, in Connemara, I'd recommend Roundstone - a beautiful little fishing village with many B&B's, good bars and a couple of hotels - very like Dingle used to be before the tourists discovered it. Do a google for Roundstone - there will lots of info on it. Great fishing off around the Aran islands as well
Old 02 November 2004, 11:46 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

far aboot did u go in donegal i used to work out of downings on a crab boat!
also been out for a day see fishing only caught 22 bloody macrol!
Old 02 November 2004, 02:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciaran
far aboot did u go in donegal i used to work out of downings on a crab boat!
also been out for a day see fishing only caught 22 bloody macrol!

In the 70s we used to go out mackeral fishing off Malin Head (nr Gleshedy Island) & generally catch 30-40 inside an hour.

Now you'd be fecking lucky to catch 3 over 2 hours, though there are some pollock/glashen
Old 02 November 2004, 02:47 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info so far. Looks like I'll be doing some surfing tonight.

It doesn't have to be Galway/Connemara. We just looked at a map of Ireland and reckoned that the fishing there might be good and that there were plenty of sheltered areas around Galway Bay should the weather not be suitable for fishing open waters. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Ciaran - it was Downings! You'll be familiar with these views.

In previous years the weather was better and we got out as far as Tory Island. This year, the weather meant that we spent most of the time in Mulroy Bay and only managed to get past the Mouth of Mulroy on one day.

We did better than your 22 mackerel though. During the week, we caught a total of 24 species; I managed to land 14 of them.