Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, HTID UV raver party 23/10/04

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2004, 11:33 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, HTID UV raver party 23/10/04

For such a short space of time it has been going, HTID has few equals in terms of success stories with the Hardcore rave promotion game. Having started this year with a sell out launch party at Air in Birmingham and a repeate performance just to be on the safe side, the next big hurdle was to see if the crowd they pulled in Birmingham were willing to travel to Milton Keynes to attend Energy 2004. The sizeable queue outside the HTID arena for most of the night said more than any flyer hype ever could.

After (literally) ramming out the HTID arena at Energy 2004, the promoters wasted no time in focusing their energies on their next event. Party number four was a continuation of what had made the previous efforts such a well attended party. Returning to their home venue in Birmingham, offering another well thought out lineup which included a varied mix of big names, stars of yesteryear and a respectable array of raw talent for good measure, this party could have sold on the lineup alone, however, the promoters were determined to up and ante and declared this a "UV raver party" where everyone who read the flyer was requested to wear white and the promised use of the EC UV cannon mountain would do the rest. If that werent good enough, then for the first time, the Carbon chillout lounge would be transformed into a dance arena for the new "Harder They Come" techno room. This, combined with all the other aspects detailed above, as well as the great time I'd had at the previous raves, easily persuaded me that the only place to be was in the queue.

After considerable farting around, swearing at London Underground for their engineering works and wondering how many tube stations Wembley could possibly have, I finally made it onto the M1 at around 9pm after picking up Davespice and Tansy. 5th gear was selected and I put my foot on the floor. I was seriously late and I knew it. Ideally I wanted to be there for 10 so I could experience Robbie Long and Ham's breakbeat set, but on this occasion I knew it werent going to happen. 10 pm came and went in the car and despite a hassle free drive, we rolled into Digbeth at about 11pm.
Dumping the car around the corner, we got in double quick thanks to the top bloke on the door and after a brief search of our outer clothes, we were in.

The tunes pumping out at an impressive volume told us all we needed to know about where we were, all I wanted to do was make up for lost time. making my way onto the main arena all I could see was white! Endless, endless white. Not from the decor, decor werent needed when you had ravers to do its job for you. Nearly every raver was dressed in something that was glowing like mad thanks to the 8 (yes I did count em) UV cannons which were strung up around the arena. The only other thing of note was the hundreds and hundreds of people in the place. all of them glowing vividly. It really was quite impressive.

After a moment or two to take it in I snapped out of it. I had DJs to see! First up was a trip to the Old Skool Till I Die arena for Tango's set. At the last party I really enjoyed Ratty's efforts so I was well up for more of the same from his partner in crime. I got in there about half way thorough his set and he was well into it with MC Nice and Easy doing an impressive job on the mic as well. Playing a top old skool jungle set to an appreciative crowd, it was so good, I completely lost it almost instantly and the only tune I can remember is "People of Rhythm" and I seriously doubt thats the tunes real name as well. The point it I was instantly into the night because of this man's efforts. It sometimes takes a while for me to get into the nights music, not this time.

I didnt stay for Tango's last tune as I really wanted to see the kick of set. Having missed it last time I was determined not to this time. As I made my way onto the packed dancefloor, Mark Ashley was finishing off his set with the awesome "John Peel is not enough" as Storm and Whizzkid took to the stage in preperation for their debut performance of the night. After Mark took down his final tune, Hixxy and Weaver took over and the kick off set began.

Clearly well planned from the start, the first tune of the set was the HTID Theme, which was notable by the fact it was not assisted at all by the MC's. They held back till the tune was over and then made their presence felt. Their first request was a demand for some noise from the crowd and **** on me, did they oblige! Imediately after, MC2'd made their presence felt, with both of them dropping their favourite crowd participation lyrics. Storm Caining "Now we say Hey-ho!" and Whizzkid electing "Pump Pump", both of which received over-enthusiastic reports from the ravers. This was what they had come to see and everyone, the DJs, the MCs and the ravers were giving it everything they had. And so it continued, the whole place was going nuts as the DJs worked their way through the set and the MCs kept the crowd hyped. "Crazy Love", "Till the end of time" and "I adore" were all dropped, but that in no way set the tone for the kick off, cos out of nowhere "State of emergency" came in and the Hardcore got their stomping boots on as the double tough kicks came in a tore the place apart, then in an equally eclectic nature, the final tune of the set was mixed through and the upfront remix of "set you free" saw the entire crowd rush simultaneously, myself and Davespice included.

I didn't think the next set could be any better, but then Marc Smith and Wottsee took over and I hastily ate my words. I got a lot of time for the Smithster as he somehow manages to create as close to a perfect set, with reactions teetering back and forth between "rush loads" and "dance loads" so I usually end up doing both and loving it. Tonight was no different with both Marc and Wottsee on peak form. The ravers took advantage of this and went for it all over again while Marc did what he does best. Alternating between the styles he is famous for once again with "Are you ready for the ride", "Died Oh Rip", "Crack *****" and "If you havent danced yet what the *** did you come for" all being played out, before he sneaked in a tasty Gabba finish, the icing on the cake to another perfect set from Marc Smith. Nice one.

At this point it was nearing 2am and I fancied something a bit different. Time for some techno! Unfortunately the Techno room seemed to be closed for a reason we were not told at the time. I was a little dissapointed, but only until I walked into the Old Skool arena and saw Seduction and Rude in the area! If I cant have techno, I'll have the exact opposite thank you very much and with Sedders dropping only the very best vocal Hardcore, I was a happy raver indeed. Especially as Rude was going back with Ribbz on the mic. Ribbzy is the best there is and he dont MC to Hardcore often enough so I was there for the duration. Of course the top notch tunes Seduction was pumping out helped as well, especially as they included "is there anybody out there", "Imagination" and " Rainbow high in the sky" The crowd of ravers in the murk of the second arena were going nuts throughout the set and I was right there with them.

However, I knew I had to leave when I did and the only place I was heading was the main arena. Its not everyday Brisk and Kevin Energy go back to back and I wanted to see it. When I got there Scott Brown was sweeping up the ashes from his customary Gabba onslaught that closes his sets. As with most of his recent efforts, he was using his "Boomstick" to do so (Thank you, I'll be here all week!)

After he had finished, the two people I'd come to see stepped up and I got ready to lose some weight. Brisk is well known for his fast paced sets and Energy is equally well known for taking no prisoners in the BPM department. The next 45 minutes hsould be interesting at any rate. If you class "interesting" as a non stop barrage of relentless kickdrums and tearing acid lines while Wottsee tore it up all over again then you'd be happy with this set. I know I was, it was also the perfect setting for the angle grinder crew to shower the crowd (and themselves) with sparks in an impressive display which lasted for most of the set. Not sure what Wottsee thought about sharing the stage with a trio of maniacs with power tools, but the stage show combined with the music was a definite highlight of the night, not to mention the superb tunage which included "Huggermugger" and the "We will rock you" tune.

Once again, I was off as soon as the last tune had been taken down. My next stop had been in the techno arena for Sharkey's set, but as it werent happening anymore, I would have to make do with Altern-8 and SL2 going back to back in the Old Skool arena instead. Once I got in there though, all notions of "making do" went straight out the window. These guys played and awesome set and as well as that, the legend that is Robbie Dee was on the mic. I didnt care if I'd heard most of the tunes before, I didnt care that they played for extra time and had to did deeper to cover, Likewise I didnt care that I was spending most of the night in the old skool room. These three were just too good at what they were doing and I was compelled to dance to it. I mean, look at the following tune selection:
"Move your body", "Just get up and Dance", "Mr. Kirks Nightmare", "I'm ravin I'm ravin", "Charly", "Dont go", "Just a feeling", "Can you feel it", "Rockin down the house", "Closer to all your dreams" "Let me be your fantasy, "Higher state of conciousness", "Feel the heat", "sweet harmony", "On a ragga tip" and "out of space".
Now, combine that with another awesome display from the legend that is Robbie Dee and a crowd that was up for it to an alarming degree and you will know why I enjoyed this set so much. Non stop dancing, rushing and doing that cheesy "Tune" sign with your hands was a pre-requsite of this set. Not to mention being utterly exhausted by the end of it.

No time to be exhausted though, cos despite Ribbz's warning that "If you like your music on the melodious side, you better leave now" it weren't the upcoming techno that made me leave the second arena and descend into the main one, it was the promise of the "Morning glory" set with Force and Styles and MC Storm on the mic. A much hyped anthems set brought the vast majority of the ravers together for the final hour and once everybody was in place, it was time to bring in the final hour. Never ones to do things by halves, Force and Styles dove straight in with their first tune "Eyeopener" and didnt let up till the final tune faded out. The place was packed, raving hard and responding to the tunes like it was the midnight hour all over again. Storm was in his element during this and he was bang on the lyrics throughout, as was Whizzkid who made a welcome appearence during the second half of the set.

However, the real star of the show was the music. Non stop tunes from the word, go. The only way this rave could be finished off. The men behind the decks started off with absolute classics like "Shining down on me", "Here I am", "love and devotion" and "Love of my life before taking the ravers on a tangent to the upfront with "I adore" and "You're my angel", before slamming back into the happy sound with "Pretty green eyes", "Set you free" and finishing off with "heart of gold". As the final tune was taken down the raver made their way out of the building. I was totally drained after the end of the night, but I couldnt help leaving with a smile on my face. Not to difficult at all after the night I had.

Things I liked:

Music - Of course the most important thing, but once again this event delivered and then some. A potent mix including every aspect of Hardcore bar none. Everything from the breakbeats to the harshest Techno money can buy via the trancy, bouncy, old skool and freeform sound, all of it was played out on the night.

Sound - No complaints at all here, every arena was crystal clear. Yum.

Production - 8 UV cannons, nothing more needs to be said really.

Aircon - A polar (pun intended!) opposite of the last HTID arena at Energy, it was obivious the aircon was on full tilt all night. never even got close to being hot and I weren't holding back on the dancing either.

Security and Door staff - Got in double quick and only a light search after that. After then, I dont remember seeing security all night. They even held back with kicking everyone out the moment the music stopped.

Set times on the flyer - Planning your night out in advance rocks.

MC Robbie Dee - The man gets better every time I see him. Respect.

Gimmicks - I like the way that this party had a "theme" to it. It set it apart from just *another* Hardcore rave. The fact that almost everyone in the place took the request of "please wear white" to heart and then some made it even more special.

Things I liked less:

Techno room closing early - Because the floor was threatening to cave in, so you cant really argue with that. Never got a chance to go in there though. Wont make the same mistake next time (and I'm reliably informed that there will be a next time as well).

MC Nice and Easy - I really hate to have a go at him cos in every other aspect he really is a good MC. It just he was ripping off a varient of MC Stevie Hyper D's lyrics by dropping "Ravers are you ready? Oh lord have mercy". You dont do that, its just not right. Pity really as it spoilt his otherwise very impressive time on the mic, esp. his voice scratching.

Me turning up late and missing Robbie Long and Ham's set. Dammit.

For me, the night was summed up at about 5.45 when Storm was coming to the end of the Morning glory set. What he said was words to the effect of "You come to HTID and you know you're going to get looked after dont ya". Personally, I couldnt agree more. A rave of this calibre is one thing, but to keep the price (On the door price as well!) under 20 quid is really something special when you think about what you get out of it. What I got was a night of complete entertainment. I actually talked to very few people because there was simply too much to do and there was always so many DJs I wanted to see at any point in time. From the moment I got in I had DJs I wanted to see and that remained the same till about 4.30 when I found myself thinking what I always think at the best parties, "Where the hell has the night gone?".

It really did go by extra quickly this time. Each set, although usually a total switch from the previous was continually better than the last. I actually felt quite dissapointed when it came to the end as I just didn't want it to. Easily another contender for the title of "Party of the year" and as you can imagine, thats up against some pretty stiff competition. As for the next one? Well, if the competiton can do better than what HTID have lined up then I will be very, very surprised. You know I'll be where the best music is. I'll give you two guesses where thats likely to be.
astraboy.
Old 29 October 2004, 10:02 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouts to: The one and Only Davespice, Tansy, Saiirasaurus, Kas, Matt, Xtra-C, Matsui, Mad Vic, The Born Hardcore crew, Nuclearaver and Mrs. Nuclear raver, MC Trev, Bandanaman, CDJay, Cakes, Mini Smithers Jnr, Vapour, Abeyance, Lady Angelic, Gammer, Uplift, Sykee, DJ Cruze, Immz, Sweetstar, Bubble, STS dave, Overload, Gingerjim, Spike, Caine, Deddley, Wizzbit, Spenno, Jess, Moron, Curly, Venetian Baztard, Chit Chat, Rude, Whizzkid, Storm, Hixxy, Marc Smith, Brisk, Kev Energy, Allan Mcgrath, and anyone else who i've forgotten. I'm sure theres loads.
Oh, and a shout to LLoyd who told me he spends his night shifts reading these things, on his WAP Phone!
astraboy.