Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lad at work

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 08:29 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lad at work

For about 2 months now maybe longer hes being ringing in every monday sick. Hes here rest of week without fail but you can garentee when phone rings in workshop at 7:30 its him ringing in sick. Apparently they had his file out today and its been mentioned to his team leader. What do people reckon will happen in a situation like this? Hes good at what he does but hes beginning to take **** now!!! Also he seems to get on really well with foreman so will be interesting to see how he deals with it.
Old 18 October 2004, 08:31 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Only a matter of time........

Unless there are side issues that gives him the ability to get away with it?
Old 18 October 2004, 08:31 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

hmmn tread carefully for all you know could be personal reasons, medical treatment etc
Old 18 October 2004, 08:35 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

No, i should of mentioned he actually tells people on tuesdays that he couldnt be bothered coming in or was still pissed up from previous night. Or infact tells people on friday he wont be in!!!
Old 18 October 2004, 08:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Well, people are not thick, they've got to work out that he's partying at the weekend.

As for what they are going to do, well, depends, I would have thought a quick word about sorting it out would be the way it goes, but if he still keeps it up, one would assume a formal written warning would be issued, and after that, he'll be booted out.

Another thing to consider is if anyone has complained about his always being off sick. If they have, then this could count against him.
Old 18 October 2004, 08:40 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

lucky bugger wish i went to those sort of parties
Old 18 October 2004, 09:52 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

i always go out and get slaughterd on Sunday's , cos i work nights i don't have to get up Monday morning

Warning / then Written warning, if he still rings in then sack the pratt or change his contract so he starts Tuesday morning and his week finishes on Saturday instead of Friday
Old 18 October 2004, 11:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I don't think that there is a legal requirement to pay someone when they are sick (at least for the first few days).

Thus withhold his wages for each Monday - the 20% drop in take-home might focus his mind

mb
Old 19 October 2004, 08:31 AM
wheeler_dealer
Scooby Regular

Drop his pay considerably per day. Then make his pay upto the same as it was before but giving him a large bonus for working a full week.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:33 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

people will only put up with that for so long, unless he turns out to be the best workman you ever had I doubt it will be long before they kick his *** to the kerb. It has a moral effect on the rest of the workers, what would happen if everyone else that worked there decided that they could not get out of bed monday mornings? the company would grind to a halt.
Old 19 October 2004, 09:25 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Some people seem to regard work as something that they do when they feel like it/can be bothered/haven't got anything else to do.

When I interview people I now make a really strong point about saying "You will be expected to turn up for work *every* day. If you can't work 5 days a week then this isn't the job for you."

Recently had a fellow start, after about 2 days he was crying on that he was skint blah blah, could he get a sub until pay day. Being a bit of a mug, I subbed him. He then takes two days off cos his partner is ill. He comes back for a couple of days. Then he disappears for over a week. No-one can get hold of him. He then 'phones me and says he's had personal difficulties blah blah blah. I say, seeing as he still owes me, "Ok you've got one more chance." He comes back for 1 day. The next day he sleeps in and doesn't turn up. The day after that, he gets sacked. Pay day comes around and he has only just made enough money to cover the sub. He then 'phones me up to bleat about how he hasn't got any money and can he have his job back?

Old 19 October 2004, 09:58 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

PC, you do pick em lol
Old 19 October 2004, 10:03 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it. Sometimes I feel like I should have been a f***in social worker...

The phrase "not my f***in problem" just doesn't seem to mean anything these days.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:03 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'When I interview people I now make a really strong point about saying "You will be expected to turn up for work *every* day. If you can't work 5 days a week then this isn't the job for you."'

No sh*t sherlock. Bit of a patrinsing question don't you think? What a regular guy you are.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:06 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prince Popeye
No sh*t sherlock. Bit of a patrinsing question don't you think? What a regular guy you are.
Popeye - I used to have the charming notion that everyone realised that they would be expected to turn up for work every day. Unfortunately, bitter experience has taught me that this isn't the case.

I'm glad that you think I'm a regular guy, though.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:08 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

What employees fail to realise is that for companys to survive and achieve their overheads they need a certain amount of productive staff to be in and working. Please dont mix companies and charities up.

Nothing gets on my **** more than inconsiderate ******** that dont turn up for work because they are out on the **** the night before.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:25 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

your all just jealous
I spent the past four years working tuesday to friday and it was great.
I now work mondays as well and it just gets me down
Old 19 October 2004, 10:27 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

It may not neccesarily be partying. There are a lot of contributing factors to this type of thing.

I haven't been too well recently, and after months of ups and downs, the weekends were great - I could stay at home and not have to see anyone, then monday would come and I would dread it. Some of you may remember my one or two threads about getting stressed at work; I have now been signed off for the foreseeable future; well, it's not entirely stress but you get the jist of it. Now I am bored as f**k.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:28 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i'm glad you don't work for me.

Would your employer let you go back, if you wanted to? Someone who was signed off sick recently asked me if they could come back (surprisingly, because they were bored!). I wasn't sure if I should let them.

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 19 October 2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:32 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I fully understand that PC. As an employer you have the best interests of your company at heart.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:36 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I was only joking anyway, eC. As an employer you have to accept that people can have genuine reasons for not being able to work (however inconvenient it may be for you), it's just the p*ss takers that make you jaded after a while.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:38 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
I was only joking anyway, eC. As an employer you have to accept that people can have genuine reasons for not being able to work (however inconvenient it may be for you), it's just the p*ss takers that make you jaded after a while.
damn true....also, try getting them to work Saturday mornings lol.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:41 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Iam lucky. The organisation I work for are very understanding and help you with things like this. My line manager is a life coach!! I couldn't ask for a better employer.

If, prior to illness, the employee was willing to put their all into their work (which I was!!), then of course they should be taken back on but workloads should be revised.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:50 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

eC - what i meant is say the quack has signed someone off for 3 months, but after a month they feel ok and want to come back, would the employer allow the employee to come back to work or would they insist that they sit out the full three months?
Old 19 October 2004, 10:55 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
eC - what i meant is say the quack has signed someone off for 3 months, but after a month they feel ok and want to come back, would the employer allow the employee to come back to work or would they insist that they sit out the full three months?
If they feel ok then they MUST return to their GP to be reassessed. The doctor has signed them off unfit for work they must not return until either a) the sick line has expired or b) the doctor says they are compus mentus (sp).

What it comes down to is would you trust the GPs judgement?
Old 19 October 2004, 10:58 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
What it comes down to is would you trust the GPs judgement?
yeah, of course.

just like i trust tony blair.
Old 19 October 2004, 11:00 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

of course they should be taken back on but workloads should be revised
why? if your not fit for the job you signed up to do then you shouldnt have an automatic right to go back?
amazing.
will you ask for a proportional pay cut to take into account the reduced productivity you will offer your employer?

weve got a no good slacker here and its a case of waiting for the rope given to be enough.
Old 19 October 2004, 11:13 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Not at all peanuts. In my case I had taken on too much work. I found it very difficult to say no to people. Before I cracked up I was doing two jobs. Spending 14 hours a day in the office some days and working from home at weekends and bank holidays. It is in fact quite the opposite of what you think.

I was determined to make something of myself, went about it the wrong way and took it a bit too far!!

I am taking this time to chill out and think about what I want.

I'm only 21 ffs, i shouldn't be worrying about this sort of thing!!
Old 19 October 2004, 12:15 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I found it very difficult to say no to people
you'd be popular down here!
Old 19 October 2004, 12:41 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

With regards to the sick note thing AFAIK the employer isn't insured to have someone on site who is currently signed off sick. Therefore as eClaire says you must return to the docs to have the sick note cancelled.

Kev

Quick Reply: Lad at work