Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Poor Boris Johnson

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 10:34 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Poor Boris Johnson

So Boris has got to go up to Liverpool to apologise for publishing an article (not written by him) which merely stated what a lot of people are probably thinking.

When did freedom of speech & peoples rights to alternative opinions cease to be acceptable in this country?

Or, alternatively, when is somebody going to force Abu Hamzas and the other vile perverters of the Islamic faith to apologise? Both to the Moslems whose proud religion they bring shame upon, and to us infidels who take offence at their vicious rantings against a country they are happy to sponge from?
Old 18 October 2004, 10:37 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

fair play to Boris, I like him and have got time for what he says.

When are they going to make everyone in the country go up to liverpool and apologise for calling them scouse monkey no good doley layabouts (a la bread) who can change ferrari wheels in a second lol.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:39 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Complete joke isnt it, political correctness has well and truely fcuked this country over.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:40 AM
yoza
BANNED

I do feel sorry for him..

His name is Boris.

He was bullied at school.

He was bummed at Uni.

And he is one ugly, fat, yellow headed ******.

Youve just got to feel for him.

Did you see him on 'Have I got news for you' , what a sorry piece of **** he is.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:43 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Have I got news for you was prolly his finest hour !!
the guy is a legend and at least he stands up for what he believes in.

Same for Hislop, whether or not you like the little Jimmy Somerville wannabe, you have to admire his spine
Old 18 October 2004, 10:47 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

He wasn't bullied at school, he was well liked.
Old 18 October 2004, 10:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Bit unwise to lend your name to an article which criticises people for commiserating with Ken Bigley for his terrible fate and his family who are obviously upset. Not so much PC as an attitude of tact and sensitivity really. Unless you regard that as a sign of weakness of course!

Les
Old 18 October 2004, 10:53 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Petem95
Complete joke isnt it, political correctness has well and truely fcuked this country over.
Political correctness...........WTF are you on about.
He raised the old argument that Liverpool fans were to blame for the Hillsborough disaster,when report after report blamed poor policing and bad organisation.
To insult people who lost sons and daughters,then have to apologise,why is that political correctness?
Old 18 October 2004, 10:58 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

It's right that he should come up here and apologise.

Even if you were to put aside the whole Ken Bigley issue, he was (or his magazine were) totally wrong to write an article that was based on nothing more than an ill-informed opinion.

Whoever wrote it (and I thought it had already been accepted that it was Boris himself?!) couldn't even take the time to research their article properly - when stating the Hillsborough disaster they hadn't even taken the time to look into how many fans were killed. Pure laziness.

Liverpool doesn't wallow in its own self pity, far from it. Every large city has its negatives and its positives, sadly Liverpool's press always appears to be the bad stuff.

I'd suspect many people who have a downer on Liverpool haven't even visited the place, that includes Boris.
When he does finally visit, he'll be assured a 'friendly' welcome
Old 18 October 2004, 11:01 AM
homerdog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
I do feel sorry for him..

His name is Boris.

He was bullied at school.

He was bummed at Uni.

And he is one ugly, fat, yellow headed ******.

Youve just got to feel for him.

Did you see him on 'Have I got news for you' , what a sorry piece of **** he is.
he has got one thing going for him though...he's not a scouser!
Old 18 October 2004, 11:03 AM
homerdog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andym172
I'd suspect many people who have a downer on Liverpool haven't even visited the place
There's more than enough of them scrounging down South, we know what scousers are like!
Old 18 October 2004, 11:08 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

It's right that he should come up here and apologise.

Even if you were to put aside the whole Ken Bigley issue, he was (or his magazine were) totally wrong to write an article that was based on nothing more than an ill-informed opinion.

Whoever wrote it (and I thought it had already been accepted that it was Boris himself?!) couldn't even take the time to research their article properly - when stating the Hillsborough disaster they hadn't even taken the time to look into how many fans were killed. Pure laziness.

Liverpool doesn't wallow in its own self pity, far from it. Every large city has its negatives and its positives, sadly Liverpool's press always appears to be the bad stuff.

I'd suspect many people who have a downer on Liverpool haven't even visited the place, that includes Boris.
When he does finally visit, he'll be assured a 'friendly' welcome
Well I live close to Liverpool, and I have to say that it certainly does wallow in self pity. The most left wing militant place I have ever had the misfortune to visit. They still go on about Hillsborough like it was yesterday, and yes the police made mistakes, but the fans seem utterly incapable of accepting their part in the disaster and prefer to blame others.

They still boycott the Sun for Gods sake! Funny how every single scouser in the office still reads it, just won't buy it. Double standards.

As for Ken Bigley, I don't actually think Liverpool have shown any more sympathy for th guy that any other place would, it's just how people react.

Still, they did give us the Beatles, but that's about it.

Geezer
Old 18 October 2004, 11:09 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Surely the fact that Boris *has* to go and do this proves the point that the article was making?

UB
Old 18 October 2004, 11:14 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Political correctness...........WTF are you on about.
He raised the old argument that Liverpool fans were to blame for the Hillsborough disaster,when report after report blamed poor policing and bad organisation.
To insult people who lost sons and daughters,then have to apologise,why is that political correctness?
That in itself has nothing to do with PC, but if you'd read his whole thread he points out how nobody forces the Abu Hamzes etc to go and apologise (because they'd be branded racist for trying to do so)
Old 18 October 2004, 11:17 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Geezer
Still, they did give us the Beatles, but that's about it.

Geezer
....and the greatest football team England has ever produced.
Old 18 October 2004, 11:18 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Sorry, that's bollocks.

People still 'go on' about Hillsborough because there's never been a line drawn under it. The police, who as you've correctly stated were at fault, have never admitted liability and given an apology to the families of those who were killed.

The Sun is boycotted due to the sickening story that was printed straight after the disaster. Printing totally malicious lies such as Liverpool fans had urinated on the dead bodies, had tried to thieve from the dead bodies and had tried to physically abuse the police were totally off the mark. Why print such a degrading article?! I can only think it was to boost their circulation...
The Sun has since admitted that they were totally wrong and have issued an apology (which was more of a veiled attack on one of their competing papers), but it's too late - many people in Liverpool know the family's affected by the disaster and will never forget. Rightly so.

Would I be right to assume that, given you're from N Wales you're a Man Utd supporter?
Old 18 October 2004, 12:04 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i think Boris is one funny ******.... dont care about his views..

BB
Old 18 October 2004, 12:39 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

he'll be assured a 'friendly' welcome
just goes to show scouse mentality!
they want the world to know how hard life is, but when the worlds on its way they send out a welcoming party to send them straight back to "that London".

the world doesnt owe Liverpool a living, but the state proviodes one for em anyway
Old 18 October 2004, 12:58 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
When did freedom of speech & peoples rights to alternative opinions cease to be acceptable in this country?
He's perfecltly entitled to his own opinion (As is everybody). But when you're chosen career is Politics you also make the decision that if you want to share your opinions and it upsets people then you might just have to apologise.

He DOESN'T HAVE TO Aplogise - He's choosing to apologise in order to keep his Job(s).

Of course this doesn't apply if your name is Tony Blair / George Bush or Peter Mandleson - Then you can say / do what you want without fear of reprimand.
Old 18 October 2004, 01:12 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Sorry, that's bollocks.

People still 'go on' about Hillsborough because there's never been a line drawn under it. The police, who as you've correctly stated were at fault, have never admitted liability and given an apology to the families of those who were killed.

The Sun is boycotted due to the sickening story that was printed straight after the disaster. Printing totally malicious lies such as Liverpool fans had urinated on the dead bodies, had tried to thieve from the dead bodies and had tried to physically abuse the police were totally off the mark. Why print such a degrading article?! I can only think it was to boost their circulation...
The Sun has since admitted that they were totally wrong and have issued an apology (which was more of a veiled attack on one of their competing papers), but it's too late - many people in Liverpool know the family's affected by the disaster and will never forget. Rightly so.

Would I be right to assume that, given you're from N Wales you're a Man Utd supporter?
The fact that the police have never admitted liability may be due to the fact that it has not been unequivocably proved that they were wholly to blame for the tragedy.

As I already said, they did make mistakes, and they should apologise for those mistakes, I agree totally. However, have all the people who turned up without tickets to add to an already bad situation personally apologised to the families of the deceased? I doubt it very much.

It was a bad day caused by many factors, and no one single cause can be identified and blamed.

As for being a Man UTD fan, no, I have no interest in football at all, it bores me utterly. And with me being Wlesh, I'm sure you understand why

Geezer
Old 18 October 2004, 01:17 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by paulr
....and the greatest football team England has ever produced.
Amen.
Old 18 October 2004, 01:18 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Peanuts
just goes to show scouse mentality!
they want the world to know how hard life is, but when the worlds on its way they send out a welcoming party to send them straight back to "that London".

the world doesnt owe Liverpool a living, but the state proviodes one for em anyway
Not at all, your presumption is more an indication of yourself than anything...

Sorry if I've missed this, but where and when exactly did Liverpool plead poverty more so than any other large city?
And when exactly was the world on its way to send out a welcoming party?...
Old 18 October 2004, 01:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Why are Liverpudlians *always* so defensive? Is it some kind of inadaquacy thing?

UB
Old 18 October 2004, 01:21 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

So are we saying that drunken supporters trying to get in had NOTHING to do with Hillsborough? Are you 100% sure about that?? If so, how?
Old 18 October 2004, 01:25 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
The fact that the police have never admitted liability may be due to the fact that it has not been unequivocably proved that they were wholly to blame for the tragedy.

As I already said, they did make mistakes, and they should apologise for those mistakes, I agree totally. However, have all the people who turned up without tickets to add to an already bad situation personally apologised to the families of the deceased? I doubt it very much.

It was a bad day caused by many factors, and no one single cause can be identified and blamed.

As for being a Man UTD fan, no, I have no interest in football at all, it bores me utterly. And with me being Wlesh, I'm sure you understand why

Geezer
Within police circles they have admitted that the polices actions (or lack of..) were a major unfluence in the tragedy, yet still have not come out publicly...
The police are there to uphold the law and to protect the public, on that day they didn't.
The fans who may have turned up without tickets belong to no 'group' and so there's never a chance that you'd receive any form of apology from them, but yes, I do agree - if there were people trying to gain access to the match without tickets then they also are to blame.

LOL! at your football comment
Old 18 October 2004, 01:26 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
So are we saying that drunken supporters trying to get in had NOTHING to do with Hillsborough? Are you 100% sure about that?? If so, how?
Not at all, see my comment above
Old 18 October 2004, 01:35 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

So is it 100% accurate NOT to criticise Liverpool for wallowing in self-pity? If not, why not?
Old 18 October 2004, 01:44 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

lol of course it's not, not more or less so than any other city/village/hamlet...

I'd expect if comments aimed at Liverpool in this thread had been aimed at any other city Newcastle/Manchester/Leeds etc then there would have people sticking up for their city.

In all honesty though, I do not understand these self-pity accusations. If you're talking about the Ken Bigley situation then I didn't see any self-pity, simply people expressing their sadness at what had happened.

Would anybody care to provide an example of Liverpool's self-pity?

Also, to reply to the 'inadequacy' post: for me definitely - I have a tiny todger
Old 18 October 2004, 01:45 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Just as a slight aside it is intersting to note that it is Micheel Howard who is sending him to apologise. Funny that as according to some on here we should vote for the Tories to sort out the political correctness problems in the UK
Old 18 October 2004, 01:46 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Very honest of you. I don't have an axe to grind here at all, but i *did* find myself agreeing with some of the things BJ (lol) said. Why he actually has to GO there to apologise eludes me though, it really does...

Quick Reply: Poor Boris Johnson