Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pedestrian Crossings

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2004, 09:37 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pedestrian Crossings

Has anyone noticed recently the complete disregard for an amber flashing light. The numbber of times I'm walking across the road and the pedestrian lamp changes to flashing green, which corresponds to flashing amber for the road, and people are either reviing their engines or creeping across the crossing.

Old 14 October 2004, 09:39 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

It is actually in the Highway Code that ALL motorists should not set off until ALL pedestrians are onto the pavement.

However, it is rare to see anyone with that patience. I follow that rule, and the number of impatient drivers behind is beyond belief.

Me me me me me me me me me me
Old 14 October 2004, 09:44 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Also the amount of people that are walking towards the crossing and even though the light has already changed to a flashing amber they still cross
Old 14 October 2004, 09:52 AM
Hammy Hamster
Scooby Regular

It amazes me the amount of pedestrians who insist on crossing the road, about 20yds away from the official crossing.

Even more amazing is the amount of motorists who purposefully stop for them and beckon them across, causing additional traffic jams.

Pedestrians... USE THE CROSSING!

btw - I always wait until the pedestrains have completely cleared the crossing before I make any attempt to move off. To be honest, most drivers around here stick to the letter of the law on that front too.
Old 14 October 2004, 10:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

And the ones who decide to use the crossings when it is extremely difficult to stop for them!

Les
Old 14 October 2004, 10:24 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

There's a pedestrian crossing near my house which, if it hasn't been used for a while, sets the traffic lights to red as soon as you hit the button (most are like this I guess).

I take great delight in waiting for the most impatient looking driver before I hit that button
Old 14 October 2004, 10:25 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
And the ones who decide to use the crossings when it is extremely difficult to stop for them!

Les
If you ever hit anyone on a crossing I wouldn't use this as your defence .
Old 14 October 2004, 10:46 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

And you should remember that amber/red lights do not apply to cyclists in London
Old 14 October 2004, 10:53 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Angry

[QUOTE=Hammy Hamster]
Pedestrians... USE THE CROSSING!
QUOTE]

This is actually a current pet hate of mine as in the last couple of weeks I have twice had people look at me before just walking in the road causing me to stop to let them cross.

First time was a group of schoolgirls, actually standing at a crossing but the lights are green for me. The first girl just looks at me and starts to slowly cross the road forcing me to stop. Once I have stopped her two friends then decide they will cross as well. I wind down the window and tell them they will get run over one day only to get a mouthfull of abuse from them.

Yesterday I was driving down a road with speedbumps (the ones which are actually block paving on the top) and a man starts to walk slowly across one of the speedbumps and starts waving his arm, pointing our what he obviously thinks is a pedestrian crossing. I have no choice but to slow down and then his mate decides to cross as well. I again wind down the window and tell him that it isn't actually a pedestrian crossing only to again get a mouthfull of abuse from the pair of them.

Seriously getting p!ssed off with this now, does this sort of thing happen to anyone else? Really am starting to think about just bouncing them off the bonnet and saying they just walked in front of me (which technically they did)
Old 14 October 2004, 11:42 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

From the highway code pedestrian section:
d. If traffic is coming, let it pass. Look all around again and listen. Do not cross until there is a safe gap in the traffic and you are certain that there is plenty of time. Remember, even if traffic is a long way off, it may be approaching very quickly.
however...

from the motorists section:
watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
So if a pedestrian steps out on to a stright road that you are alread on, don't worry, just plough them down, but if they are already in the road when you come on to it, you need to watch out
Old 14 October 2004, 11:52 AM
gutter-rat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TDT
And you should remember that amber/red lights do not apply to cyclists in London

In London, the higway code doesn't seem to apply to cyclists at all!
Old 14 October 2004, 12:23 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by gutter-rat
In London, the higway code doesn't seem to apply to cyclists at all!
Don't think you'd like Holland at all then.
Heaps of cyclists and almost none of them with lights on their bikes - yet they still think they have right of way when jumping a red. Go figure.

Suresh
Old 14 October 2004, 01:02 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

This is on my list of most annoying things at the moment. There's a zebra crossing near my house, outside the post office, it has amber lights (no traffic lights) and is on a busy road. I'd estimate only 1 in 10 cars will stop for you. When cars do stop I now thank them because they're in the minority. The rest of the drivers I stare at as though I want to kill them. Also, pedestrians who press the button to change the traffic lights when the road's clear, but don't bother waiting for the lights to change and cross the road anyway. If they're going to do that I'd rather they left the bloody button alone, I don't mind at all stopping for pedestrians but stopping for no reason gets on my ****!
Old 14 October 2004, 01:08 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Don't think you'd like Holland at all then.
Heaps of cyclists and almost none of them with lights on their bikes - yet they still think they have right of way when jumping a red. Go figure.

Suresh
Most with a great big bifta on the go
Old 14 October 2004, 01:23 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Pedestrian procedure at pedestrian crossing:
Foot off the pavement to claim the right of way,
Pointy end of umbrella thrust into the traffic.

Usually works for me. Would not recommend alternative use of pushchair

Does everyone else hate cyclists when in the car, hate pedestrians when on the bike, hate drivers when walking, etc. ?
Old 14 October 2004, 01:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Does everyone else hate cyclists when in the car, hate pedestrians when on the bike, hate drivers when walking, etc. ?
Of course - we are always right whether driving, cycling or walking and everybody else is wrong, regardless. I thought everybody knew that

In reality it just goes to show how narrow minded, petty, hypocritical and selfish we all are.