Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tracing Range Rover Who backed in to me?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2004, 01:26 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracing Range Rover Who backed in to me?

Last night on coming out of the local coop I was stopped and told that a Range Rover had reversed into my car whilst I was inside and had driven off, the helpful witness had written down the reg and gave it me.

Now on speaking to the police they are interested in prosecuting this person, I am interested in getting my dented bumper fixed at the 3rd party cost.

Any suggestions on how to get an address or phone no from a reg no.

Or does anyone know someone who drives a Dark Blue 53 reg Range Rover (full reg available on request!) in the Sutton Coldfield area, basically I am trying to do them a favour and not involve the Police.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:32 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

You could try the RR dealers in the area. The guilty party may have rung them up to get some spare parts or a respray if he damaged his car.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:34 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Just let the police sort it. Before the muppet drives into someone else's car.
Police knocking on their door might make them think twice about leaving without giving their details, after causing damage to someone's pride and joy!

Plus after the police have pointed out that there were witnesses I'm sure they will be only to happy to offer to repair your car.

Last edited by anc-sti; 13 October 2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:36 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I thought the police could give you a phone number to ring, it does cost, but as its not a police matter (private property) they will not run the number through their computer, alternativly your insurance company will find them

Sorry tio hear about the trouble its causing though
Old 13 October 2004, 01:36 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlu
Last night on coming out of the local coop I was stopped and told that a Range Rover had reversed into my car whilst I was inside and had driven off, the helpful witness had written down the reg and gave it me.

Now on speaking to the police they are interested in prosecuting this person, I am interested in getting my dented bumper fixed at the 3rd party cost.

Any suggestions on how to get an address or phone no from a reg no.

Or does anyone know someone who drives a Dark Blue 53 reg Range Rover (full reg available on request!) in the Sutton Coldfield area, basically I am trying to do them a favour and not involve the Police.
Don't do them any favours by not involving the police. Get the police involved and make sure they get the book thown at them. They didn't do you a favour by damaging your car and driving off.

If they didn't stop and look how do they know it wasn't a small child??

Even with police involved surely you'll get your car repaired at there expense!

Hope you get it sorted - keep us posted with developments.
Old 13 October 2004, 01:41 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlu
Now on speaking to the police they are interested in prosecuting this person
The bizzies must be quite conscientious in your area then?

AFAIK the DVLA will give you the details if they consider your request genuine. Of course you'll have to pay a fee, "for admin purposes".
Old 13 October 2004, 01:50 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Get the Police involved...what is too say it won't happen again to someone else who might not just have bumper damage to worry about.(besides if the law are involved in sorting this out they can't be hiding behind a tree with their laser gun swelling the government coffers at the same time
Old 13 October 2004, 03:38 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, if it had been an X5 old bill would have already been round What is the point of these 5m long tanks that dont fit in 1 parking space? should ban em and make people who have them change to nissan micras which 1 can be parked and 2 in a collision are fairly matched with normal cars.

Off to old bill later, fortunately damage is minor - just a dimple in the front bumper, any ideas on the repair cost - filler or new bumper? (MY03WR Blue).
Old 13 October 2004, 04:25 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Your own insurers will easily be able to obtain the other drivers details for you, there is a central database of insured drivers nowadays. Contact them.
Old 13 October 2004, 05:20 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Definately involve the police. Even if it's a small bump it's the principle of the thing, imagine the cost of fixing "a small bump" on something like the rear arch of a 22B etc.

If they didn't realise they'd hit it then they aren't fit to be driving, what if it had been a small child etc.

Supermarket car park denters make my blood boil.
Old 13 October 2004, 05:38 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

As already said the BiB wont give you their name or address.

The DVLA dont these days either unless it comes via a solicitor or insurer etc.

Best course of action is contact you insurance (asap) and report it. They will ask for the crime number prob. Let them and the BiB handle it.

Did you get the name and address of the witness too?

The BiB will go round to the keepers address and inspect the car for damage etc to decide if this vehicle was involved. The file will go off to the CPS and they will prob summons the driver for fail to stop.

The punishment is 5-10 points and <£5000 fine.

Anyone who does this sort of thing deserves all they get IMHO so make sure the BiB get involved.

BtK
Old 13 October 2004, 10:10 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

for £40 you could do an Hpi check which woul dgive you all the details you want??? then off you go to their house with a bat
Old 13 October 2004, 10:37 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I had a similar situation where someone drove into me on a roundabout and didn't give details. I got their reg number, reported it to the police and read their details off the computer screen as they looked up the car details for the purposes of their own paperwork.

Passed this onto my insurers changing the name from Joe Bloggs to Mrs Bloggs as it was a woman driver and ended up with a sucessful claim.
Old 14 October 2004, 11:27 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

When I got hit by a bloke who scarpered, I just reported it. The police came round about two weeks later with the guy's details and the crime no for my insurance details.

The insurance got sorted no problem, the copper who brought the details round told me that the guy was being done for failing to stop AND driving without due care.
Old 14 October 2004, 02:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why do someone as dishonest as that a favour? Tell all to the coppers.

Les
Old 14 October 2004, 02:23 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

their insurance company is easily traced from the reg, then your insurance will write to them holding them at fault then they will contact the driver, if you have an independant witness there will be no problem with sorting the claim from the other insurers, also report it to the police
Old 14 October 2004, 02:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Is there any redress for an 18 year old, insured TPFT, who was rammed deliberately by pikeys in a stolen car, which he couldn't get the number of?

Only witnesses were in his car:
He contacterd the police, but has heard nothing they didn't even take a proper statement.

Now he's out £450 for repairs!

Alcazar
Old 14 October 2004, 02:47 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

There's a fund that the insurance companies have to pay into for cases such as that Alcazar.He should be able to get details from his insurance company.