Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Use PayPal say the Police

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2004, 08:12 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Use PayPal say the Police

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3734462.stm

The 17-year-old from Pontypool, near Newport, built up £45,000 in various bank accounts by offering goods for sale that did not exist.
DC Steve Thomas, who led the investigation, said it was sometimes difficult to monitor security on such sites, and some people had not received property for which they had paid.

"Customers must guard against making any payment using an unsafe method like a straight bank transfer," he urged. "That's literally just giving money over. It's better to use a safe way like a credit card payment or the site's PayPal scheme, where buyers put money in a third party account until goods have been received."
I wouldn't trust PayPal with Monopoly money!
Old 12 October 2004, 10:05 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I think he's made the schoolboy-type error of mistaking Paypal with an Escrow type service.
Old 12 October 2004, 10:09 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've had no experience of this type of thing, so to avoid any future pitfalls, what's wrong with Paypal?
Old 12 October 2004, 10:13 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I've had no experience of this type of thing, so to avoid any future pitfalls, what's wrong with Paypal?
Never had any problems myself but from the few bits I have heard, when they want to or things go wrong they'll generally shaft you without a moments thought.
Old 12 October 2004, 10:32 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Its not as easy as all that.... we get grief left right and centre in relation to Ebay fraud and people not taking the appropriate safety precautions.

Would YOU wire a load of money to someone you've never met in relation to an advert in, say, Freeads? The only difference with Ebay is that there's a pic, and maybe a bit of feedback.
Old 12 October 2004, 10:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With any remote purchase there is always the problem of knowing whether goods are actually for sale or whether someone is going to pay with 'real' money.

Paypal do not protect the seller if goods are paid for with stolen credit cards for example.

From a sellers POV, you want gauranteed payment first before you send any goods.
From a buyers POV, you want to know that when you've paid for something it's actually going to show up.

First is pretty easy to fix if you limit the payment type and take precautions, but it's very difficult to gaurantee someone sending you any goods unless you have a 3rd party to take action on your behalf.

Not sure how well Paypal or eBay would fight your cause after you've been ripped off.

Stefan
Old 12 October 2004, 10:42 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, rather than what's wrong with PayPal - what would you recommend to use? I got the impression that nothing is "safe", just some are more safer than others?
Old 12 October 2004, 10:46 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
OK, rather than what's wrong with PayPal - what would you recommend to use? I got the impression that nothing is "safe", just some are more safer than others?
I always prefer a bank transfer where possible, you can see the money in your account - its real money and at that point I feel sure I can send the goods out.

David
Old 12 October 2004, 10:48 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

DC Steve Thomas, who led the investigation, said it was sometimes difficult to monitor security on such sites, and some people had not received property for which they had paid.
#

No mate, it's cos coppers like you just can't be arsed to listen to people when they tell you about these crooks in the first place.
He probably conned a copper or a copper's relative and came unstuck.