Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

V5 documentation

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 10:49 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V5 documentation

Before anyone shouts at me I know I've done something stupidly wrong and am chastising myself for not knowing better...

Basically I was woken up early on Sunday morning by some guy wanting to buy my car. I get dressed etc go downstairs and let him look round it whilst I tried to wake up. The upshot is I sold the car to him (I've seen him round the village a few times and owns a local car valet garage) and cash was exchanged and that's the last I've seen of it,

However I let him take the V5 to fill in the blanks and mail it to the DVLA (I am a moron) because I've seen him around a lot. So the car has been sold for say 2 months now and I've heard notthing until I get a SORN through the letterbox this morning for my old motor. Sh*t!!

Looking through the DVLA website I need to mail them with the new details (however I don't have the V5 so don't know the registration mark) and also don't know this guys address or full name. I was also going to let the police know as the tax runs out at the end of this month. The thing is the DVLA website states that unless the new owner gets in contact the car still remains registered to me even if I send them a letter etc. I'm going to see if I can get hold of him tomorrow but if he's unco-operative I don't know what legal standing I would have...

Can anyone please offer any advice.
Not that I'm starting to get worried
Old 11 October 2004, 10:54 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I think you're kinda screwed short-term. Sorry. I did the same thing but it was just as they were changing their policy on registering vehicles at DVLA. I had to go to court in the end and swear on the bible (cos that means it's true) that I had sold the car on such-a-such a date and I didn't have any details on the new keeper.

On the bright side, although it was a long, drawn-out process, it didn't cost me a bean in the end. The guy had amassed a small fortune in parking, speeding and red light running incidents. I was very lucky. I spent many an evening driving round Southampton looking for the car, cos that's where most of the incidents took place, before they finally let me swear in court..

Best of luck, I think you're going to need it..

You could always return the SORN with an accompanying letter asking why they are contacting you despite the fact you informed them of the change
Old 11 October 2004, 11:04 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers 4 the reply

Don't get me wrong I don't think he'd have run up a long list of fines etc.
I just want to make sure I get it sorted asap, especially before the tax runs out.

I do know he's put the car up for sale again on his forecourt. Like I said I'm going to pay him a visiti tomorrow to find out what's what...I was just wondering if anyone knew the best course of action.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:06 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Well the best thing is to probably ask him for the return slip. It's no skin off his nose. Just be nice and see how it goes. Good luck.