Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can I claim on mobile phone insurance for spilling my coffee over it?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2004, 01:11 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I claim on mobile phone insurance for spilling my coffee over it?

Threw my coffee over my brand new phone, dried it off and now the middle nav button is buggered..............only took the insurance out erm "recently".

Are they likely to tell me to p1ss off?

AP
Old 09 October 2004, 01:17 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

It actually should still work. I know this sounds strange -- but if the phone is gone anyway -- you could try pouring some water gently over that key (TAKE THE BATTERY OUT FIRST!). Leave it to try for a day. Water doesn't generally harm electronics in the short term (unless there is a current that causes something to short). What happens in the longer term is that it will rust.

As for your question, you probably can claim.

Steve.
Old 09 October 2004, 01:57 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Depending on the exact construction of the phone water may indeed be the specific. Unfortunately you need a polar solvent to get coffee out, usually, and so IPA will not move it. However, as Steve said get the battery off the phone and keep it off until you are sure the phone is dry. There is also something in coffee and tea that eats into circuit boards plus the sugar doesn't help if there is any.

Usually in such cases I would try and take it apart in as much as I could, wash it out with a few blasts of IPA and then wash it in hot water, it is fun to watch peoples faces when you take expensive electronics out to the toilet and hold it under the hot water tap!

Unfortunately rust can be a problem, as can water getting between the layers on the board. With this in mind I often find that soaking it in WD40 can work well and I have washed very delicate gear out with water and WD40 and had no long or short term problems. There is a very light lubricating oil in WD40 but it seems to have no adverse impact upon the operation of switches in my experience, your mileage my vary.

However, it must be said that all these comments relate to gear I actually had in my hand and could assess the likely risk of my actions and common sense was applied at all times. In all cases they were beyond recovery had my actions failed and so there was nothing to lose. This is a disclaimer!
Old 09 October 2004, 05:09 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no beleive me is fecked I melted one of the buttons later in the hand drier
Old 09 October 2004, 05:52 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

If your insurance is with Allianz (ie the phone is through Dialaphone) the answer is no, not if the fault is caused by 'liquid ingress'. This is definite, although when I had similar problems I did convince Dialaphone's engineers to say the fault was caused another way so I could claim

You're probably better off claiming the coffee incident on your house insurance.

HTH