Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile Phones on Holiday

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2004, 01:28 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Phones on Holiday

Just got back from 2 glorious weeks in Madeira! Hot sun, cold beer and stunning scenery!

Anyway - we spceifically booked a hotel miles away from the main tourist areas - described on every website as 'Out of the Way', 'Off the beaten Track', 'Very quiet, sleepy village' etc. etc.

On the first Monday we had Noisy Nigel on the next balcony up, who starts bellowing into his mobile phone "yeah, the Smith account - I met with them last week - blah, blah, blah - staying in some tiny little place, nothing going on at all really"

The only managers who need to keep calling the office while on holiday are incompitent idiots with an over inflated sense of their own self importance - they haven't trained their team to survive without them, they don't trust them and they're convinced their entire organisation will grind to a halt without them.

Next we have the Noisy Norwgian who feels the need to bellow to his friends every morning and evening for hours at a time on his phone. IF YOU MISS THEM SO FECKING MUCH - GO HOME!!!

Then the Essex Couple arrive with her constantly calling her mum (Yeah, it's really quiet here innit?) While he's confidently spotting fishing boats out at sea and telling her they're minesweepers!

We went on many walks on out hols and even found people on remote mountains using their phones!! FFS - what did they do before they were invented????

I'm not a technophobe - I have a mobile and I use it all the time for work. I also have a responsible job. But I have not intention of EVER taking my mobile on holiday with me - I HAVE A LIFE!!!!!

Is there no respect for peace and quiet anymore??? Does anyone know of any holiday resort that is either a) well out of the range of mobile phone sifnals or b) has banned them???? And if people must use them for work then can they not respect the peace and quiet and make the call from their rooms????

</ rant not nearly over - I'm only just getting warmed up!>
Old 05 October 2004, 01:46 PM
Les Behan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Come back nice and relaxed then?

All of this just comes down to plain common sense and courtesy. Mobile phones, rightly or wrongly, are here to say but that doesn't excuse the neanderthal type behaviour of the people who:
  1. Think because they're on a mobile have to bellow at the top of their voice
  2. Haven't discovered that they can actually reduce the volume of the ring tone
  3. Haven't realised that there is another ring tone other than the Dom Jolly/Nokia default :
"HELLO...NO, ON HOLIDAY, RELAXING...WHAT?..."
Cheers
Les
Old 05 October 2004, 01:57 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

People who shout on mobile phones do so because secretly they don't really believe that they actually work.
Old 05 October 2004, 01:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Oh dear Beth, sounds like a nightmare. If I didn't know how nice you are, I would have expected a lot of people to be at the local A&E waiting to have phones removed from various orifices (orifi?)

When I'm away I do have my phone with me, but it's turned off. Only reason I take it is that a) it's got numbers of people I might wish to contact, b) it's somewhere to store numbers for people who I might want to contact , c) it's there if I need to make an emmergency call. Other than that it stays turned off, and I sure as hell don't answer it if it does ring (it'd be on silent anyway). If someone wants me, they can leave voicemail and I'll get back to them at some point.

Let it all out deary, rant, rant, rant. Bubbles and Daisies standing by for when the rant is over.
Old 05 October 2004, 02:11 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

sounds like somebody needs a holiday......

C