Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Crap "street" speak

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2004, 07:59 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap "street" speak

Whats with people saying the words, particularly those black music artists, and dence footballers.

Like - li gh

Right - Ri gh

Might - Mi gh

You'd have to say it to yourself a few times before you can say the "gh" correctly, those who are a little more "street" will have no problems. Of course these words are backed up with "naa a min" and "yu no" every 3rd word too.

I am sure you get my drift.

SPEAK PROPERLY YOU THICK CRETINS!

Ri gh, tha sme dun. La ughs
Old 05 October 2004, 08:10 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I agree, and what is more concerning is that I have noticed there are some children's TV presenters on the weekend speaking like this! They are doing their bit towards the national chav-isation of young people. Being able to communicate without b*stardising the English language is no longer a prerequisite for television presenters it seems.
Old 05 October 2004, 08:16 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I kent understand it myself
Old 05 October 2004, 08:33 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

particularly those black music artists, and dence footballers
That's "dense", of course

What upsets me is the use of "could of", "might of" and so on, by far more people than I would ever have expected. Maybe the bbs should have some sort of word substitution filter to fix this mistake automatically?

ps. better still would be to refuse the post entirely and insist it be corrected manually... Scoobynet, entertaining and educational
Old 05 October 2004, 08:53 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The one that really winds me up is when they say "aks" instead of "ask", or "aksed" instead of "asked". For example "did you do what i aksed you to do maaan?".

WTF is that about, idiots...
Old 05 October 2004, 08:55 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Ms. Dynamite. Listen to her talk, classic example of Davyboys point.

ar'm li gh ri gh.
Old 05 October 2004, 09:06 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

you know what I mean......

No - speak in fvcking english and I might get it
Old 05 October 2004, 09:13 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

"Street talk" can sound cool though......I give you Snoop:

"Fo' shizzle ... o' no' fo' shizzle? Dat be the quizzle, my south-central British nizzle."

Old 05 October 2004, 09:26 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The English language is a living and breathing thing, constantly changing over time.

Is it your failure to adapt to the new form of the language that is causing you difficulties?

For a group of people into technology & development, you are very reluctant to change.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 05 October 2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05 October 2004, 09:28 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Whats with people saying the words, particularly those black music artists"

lol, i work in Henley-on-Thames....yet some days i dont even have to leave my pc to feel like im there already.
Old 05 October 2004, 09:32 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Aren't the police looking younger these days ?

D
Old 05 October 2004, 09:35 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Innit

Old 05 October 2004, 09:41 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
The English language is a living and breathing thing, constantly changing over time.

Is it your failure to adapt to the new form of the language that is causing you difficulties?

For a group of people into technology & development, you are very reluctant to change.
One could understand changes made to a language in order to improve communication, however what these oiks are doing is malforming the language, presumably to cut-out people who aren't in their "hood" or "gang" or whatever they call themselves by making their spoken word all but unintelligable to civilised people.

It is not a "new form" of the language, it is horrible and uneccessary colloquialism that has a negative impact upon communication between generations and societies and they should pack it in before they end up speaking a different language entirely!
Old 05 October 2004, 09:41 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cap fit then?
It's no more a "new form" of the language than stealing cars is a new form of public transport.
Old 05 October 2004, 09:43 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

That's what I meant ajm
Old 05 October 2004, 09:56 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CraigH
Cap fit then?
It's no more a "new form" of the language than stealing cars is a new form of public transport.

He's on a wind up, ignore him.

Just because everybody is lowering their standards doesn't mean we should lower ours eh.
Old 05 October 2004, 10:04 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I believe its crosssectional in society as a whole. In other words, everybody is doing it. My mate had a run in with some crack heads up Kings Cross way. They were in no position on enforce their threats as they were too wasted and emaciated to inflict injuries, but their insistance on talking like AMERICAN crack heads is what my friend found funny.
"Eh muthafuka! Ay, I cut 'choo up, muthafuka!"
Bad enough being a crackhead, but a crackhead with bad diction really is unforgivable
astraboy.
Old 05 October 2004, 10:36 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Surely it's not a case of lowering standards? It's a being unwilling to acknowledge the new form of the English language - which is becoming ever more commonplace.

At some point the "proper" english speakers will become the minority.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:08 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

It's not a new form of the English language - it's cr4p talk from impressionables.

Shows like Ali G/Bo Selecta etc become part of the lingo temporarily until the next "cult" show comes along.

If this kind of talk does become THE english language, hopefully I'll either be dead by then or guns will be legal.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:13 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Check it out...............

no what i mean, at the end of every sentence.................
Old 05 October 2004, 11:18 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3...ynamite300.jpg

innit
Old 05 October 2004, 11:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with regional accents and I would not like to see those disappear. I do dislike the murdering of the language as was said. Its just a lazy way to speak and it sounds terrible. The so called "Estuary accent" is one of the worst with the dropping of T wherever possible and replacing it with a gutteral grunting noise. It became a bit of a fashion to speak like it and that is why we hear it on television particularly as was mentioned, children's programme presenters. The television producers should be ashamed of that.

What really got me going was when PSL's and Paulr's hero started trying to talk like it in a cheap attempt at popularity. They'll try anything these politicians! At least I found that laughable if a bit difficult to believe. So transparent!

To pronounce the words properly does not take so much extra effort and shows a bit of pride in our language. Its nothing to do with affecting to be upper class either.

Les
Old 05 October 2004, 11:27 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

I think this has happened already. I'm quite shocked at how many ordinary English folk (i.e. them (sic) ones not following any street culture) make slip-ups in there (sic) grammer.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:31 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

The people best at 'crap street speak' seem to drive around in cars with body kits, tinted windows, spoilers and loud exhausts!

Old 05 October 2004, 11:48 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

I also notice that some of the kids TV presenters are talking all blingified! There was a programme on at the weekend with two kids presenting...I'm guessing about 14 years old, and both were talking with very poor diction. The little girl especially was all 'mystique'! Plus I hate when people adapt these into text writing (e.g. on these types of forums) dat is da best fing eva! it's disgraceful.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:51 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I agree on that one, I particularly hate the term "Dat" I always imagine whoever says it is a wonky hatted, blinged up, velour trackie wearing Charva.

astraboy.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Whilst i understand a language needs to evolve i feel the English language is being beaten into submission and stangled by Chavs and the 'street speak'
Old 05 October 2004, 12:37 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Surely it's not a case of lowering standards? It's a being unwilling to acknowledge the new form of the English language - which is becoming ever more commonplace.

Of course it's a drop in standards. They are attempting to emulate the way people speak in ghettos. People in ghettos speak like that because they have had no access to proper education and have been exposed to a culture that teaches them that vulgarity and profanity to appear "hard" or intimidating is acceptable.

Is the image of an average Briton as a gold chain wielding, puffer jacket clad "gangsta" pseudo-limping down the street talking gibberish interspersed with words like "yo, innit, muthaf*cka" one you would admit to being an improvement, let alone be proud enough to call "new English"???
Old 05 October 2004, 01:42 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Oi aint gort nuffink ta saay on vis.

Except that even Newsreaders here (in Canada) can't speak English properly. I'm horrified at some of the stuff they say. It's the way the UK will go eventually, I fear.
Old 05 October 2004, 03:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You're correct about the newsreaders. There's also some DJ, can't remember the station, but he's not english, but tries to speak as though he is. I think he might be south african, so that could possibly explain it.

Quick Reply: Crap "street" speak