Why do people believe in God?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2004, 07:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Why do people believe in God?

It genuinely baffles me

IMO religion is the number one cause of problems in this world and all we have to do is educatue people into the truth..

we are all just flesh and bone, evolution is our creator, my 'father' is my Dad not some mystical all seeing fictional character
Old 04 October 2004, 07:14 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course gods real.

Don't be so ignorant please
Old 04 October 2004, 07:17 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

proove it
Old 04 October 2004, 07:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Emotional crutch
Old 04 October 2004, 07:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do people support a football team, like Middlesbrough for example?

Because they want to be on the winning side, with others of the same feelings and watch when the opposition are put to the sword!

Its a club thing!!

Anyway, what happens if they are right? What worries me is that the pope tells everyone how wonderful heaven is .......................... then drives around in a bullet-proof wagon!!! WHATS HE SCARED OF!!

Pete
Old 04 October 2004, 07:21 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
It genuinely baffles me

IMO religion is the number one cause of problems in this world and all we have to do is educatue people into the truth..

we are all just flesh and bone, evolution is our creator, my 'father' is my Dad not some mystical all seeing fictional character
Always baffled me too, suppose people just need something to believe in.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Well, it doesn't seem so implausible compared to life beginning as an interesting side effect of a lightning strike in some sort of primeval bog...

Better, perhaps, to ask how come there are so many different religions, each of which claims to be the one, true religion (and woe betide anyone who follows a different one). They can't all be right.

Personally, if I had to pick one, I'd be a sun worshipper. At least the sun is demonstrably real, and actually does provide us with the light, warmth and energy we need to exist. I doubt too many people would argue that without it, we'd all be b**gered.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:22 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

People that believe in a god do so because they have been brought up with it and see it as part of thier everyday lives.

People that believe in a god do so because they have suffered some emotional trauma at some point in their lives, and religion is a means of emotional sanctuary to justify questions that remain unanswered.

2p.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:24 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

suppose people just need something to believe in.
Yes, people are scared of the unknown (ie death), even non believers want to keep a glimmer of hope incase there is an afterlife where we meet our maker, sort of a religious 'get out of jail(hell) free card'.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It is an interesting question. I've been raised catholic, so I'm supposed to believe in Jesus, God, and all that. Do I? Well, kind of. I perfer to think that there is *something* out there, I'm not saying it's some all powerfull being or anything, just *something* maybe the universe itself. Why do I think like this? dunno really, maybe I'm weak minded and don't want to accept that there is nothing at all out there and we are just alone in the universe.

Am I sad and a relgious nut? nope, not really
Old 04 October 2004, 07:28 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mj
People that believe in a god do so because they have been brought up with it and see it as part of thier everyday lives.

People that believe in a god do so because they have suffered some emotional trauma at some point in their lives, and religion is a means of emotional sanctuary to justify questions that remain unanswered.

2p.
to a point yeah i guess, my sister is getting into the church thing, seems to be doing it coz it makes sense to her at this point in her life, she's not a born again christian or anything, just seems quite happy to embrace the whole 'god' thing.

my brother in law was confirmed yesterday and he's the last person you'd think would be into that sort of thing.

not my bag, but if it keeps people sane, can't be a bad thing.
of course there are nutters out there and religious fanatics but they'd be fighting about something else if it wasn't for their faith. guaranteed.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I believe in father christmas....

he,s a god!!

Mart
Old 04 October 2004, 07:34 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

The only thing that I truly beleive in, is that intellegent life from other palnets/solar systems exists.

I also believe that supernatural occurences are formed and recieved in a part of the brain that we don't yet fully understand.

But then again, I have been watching the Discovery channel since I was 4 years old, should have gone to Sunday School instead
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

not my bag, but if it keeps people sane
Thats sort of my point, there is no sanity behind the thinking IMO.

I perfer to think that there is *something* out there
Exactly as do a lot of people, but again that comes back to a fear instilled into us about hell, meeting our maker etc, it is based purely on instinct and the great old fear of the unknown.
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

We are so lucky here in the UK. We have good health, cars, huge amounts of disposable income, nice homes, running water, electricity, gas, etc, etc.
The list is endless. Bugger me we even have Scoobynet
Not everyone has a life like ours.
Some countries peoples have short life spans, misery, no money, no water, nothing, zero, zilch.
But they do have their God. Something so real to them that we, in the western world can't contact it. They love God so much it aches. But it also makes them feel better.
Gives them hope. Something to hold onto.
Thats why some people believe in God.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:38 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by jameswrx
It genuinely baffles me

World War 1 and 2, probably the greatest cases of bloodshed in recent history. Please remind me of the causes behind that ?

Ireland is people hiding behind a religious banner. Probably the easiest thing to do. How many conflicts have crime as the main reason hiden by religion.
There are now, have been in the past and will be in the future problems due to religion, but I wouldnt call it the number one problem.

I am a happy clappy, but only became one five years ago. No emotional issues, infact going through the best time in my life at the time, big salary, two expensive cars and more importantly a good marriage with two lovely kids. Always spent my life using the arguments above - I just felt that there was more to life than what I had, some sort of meaning. Now I spend a Sunday morning singing songs I would never of imagined Even ensured some of my cars have been equiped with go faster fish

Jonathan
Old 04 October 2004, 07:49 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

some sort of meaning. Now I spend a Sunday morning singing songs I would never of imagined
There is no meaning, you are decended from a chemical reaction that took place in our universe 6 billion? years ago. How can you discount (is that a word? ) this fact, and then turn it into a "meaning" ?
Old 04 October 2004, 07:55 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by mj
There is no meaning, you are decended from a chemical reaction that took place in our universe 6 billion? years ago. How can you discount (is that a word? ) this fact, and then turn it into a "meaning" ?
I fart is that what you mean
Old 04 October 2004, 07:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

This thread is pointless.
Old 04 October 2004, 07:57 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

and if god created all, who created god?

Old 04 October 2004, 07:59 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by pslewis
Why do people support a football team, like Middlesbrough for example?

Because they want to be on the winning side, with others of the same feelings and watch when the opposition are put to the sword!

Its a club thing!!

Anyway, what happens if they are right? What worries me is that the pope tells everyone how wonderful heaven is .......................... then drives around in a bullet-proof wagon!!! WHATS HE SCARED OF!!

Pete
Pete

He's probably happy to meet the father, but not sure he wants it to end as an out of control scooby with gold wheels tries to have a suicide attack
Old 04 October 2004, 08:05 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

This thread is pointless
Why?, I wonder why, I pose the question to a community which I know will have believers and non believers, it's my interest therefore there is a point.

I'm not preaching sanity , just interested in what makes someone believe in god. For me it boils down to the fact it's been drummed into our heads for thousands of generations, for some it's instinctive. But it genuinely baffles me that someone can be sitting at home there and thinking to themselves (inside their own mind) that there is a god. Thoughts feelings and emotions are all in our brains physical matter controlled by senses our bodies posses.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:07 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I fart is that what you mean
errrr, not really. Maybe you should thank him that you have a healthy bowell.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

What scares me the most are the poeple who are so into "god" whatever religion, that they are fanatical about it. To the extent that there are abusive and hostile to anyone who doesn't follow their religion (burn in hell, kill all christian, jews etc).

I'm not just talking about popular religions in the far east. It's global.

I mean this lot: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

Some of the stuff and the way they misconceive and exaggerate what is nothing more than trivial and blame it on the devil leaves me laughing my **** off at these sorrowful people. ThenI think for a minute...it's not funny. As some of these types of people run their countries, then it becomes worrying - sitting on a ticking bomb is an undersatement!
Old 04 October 2004, 08:11 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

People believe in God for the most part because they are brainwashed by 'loving' parents to follow a particular man-made religious sect.

For me, God is the answer to the unknown. The big bang theory is surely just too much coincidence? Religion isn't my bag though - I don't think any supreme being would want us to dress up and worship them. That would be vanity, which is a pure human trait.

Can you believe in God without religion though? I can.

God bless

Suresh
Old 04 October 2004, 08:12 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Is it just me that thinks that site is a **** take?

if so, very funny, RWIAL
Old 04 October 2004, 08:15 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by ALi-B
What scares me the most are the poeple who are so into "god" whatever religion, that they are fanatical about it. To the extent that there are abusive and hostile to anyone who doesn't follow their religion (burn in hell, kill all christian, jews etc).

I'm not just talking about popular religions in the far east. It's global.

I mean this lot: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

Some of the stuff and the way they misconceive and exaggerate what is nothing more than trivial and blame it on the devil leaves me laughing my **** off at these sorrowful people. ThenI think for a minute...it's not funny. As some of these types of people run their countries, then it becomes worrying - sitting on a ticking bomb is an undersatement!
Do we not have fanatics in every part of the globe. Look at some of the white supremcy movements in the USA, NF here. We have people who dont believe the holocaust. You have to ask yourself if some of the people you are talking about above really believe in the true god that doesnt preach some of the crap about killing, persecution etc

Jonathan
Old 04 October 2004, 08:26 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Jeez people, get a grip. Well, Ali-B get a grip anyway.

I'll spell this out real simple.

www.landoverbaptist.org is a joke.

No, really. It's a spoof put on by the same people who did one about George Bush (I forget what it's called) and, I believe, who produce a spoof weekly internet magazine called The Onion.

But in some ways you're right. Religious extremism, regardless of the orientation of the base religion, is and has to be a Bad Thing. Intolerance, bigotry and persecution don't appear in anybody's holy book but get preached by bad men who corrupt a good thing for their own ends.

I'd ask a different question.

God is fine. But why does anyone believe in the Church?

SB

PS For the record I do believe in God and am happy to say so. My reasons, however, are my own and not for dissection here.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:30 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Do we not have fanatics in every part of the globe. - Yes, human nature.

Look at some of the white supremcy movements in the USA, NF here. - have a holiday in Oldham for 2 weeks

We have people who dont believe the holocaust. - they probably choose not to, which IMO is wrong, as you say fanatics.

You have to ask yourself if some of the people you are talking about above really believe in the true god that doesnt preach some of the crap about killing, persecution etc - "the true god", thanks, you just answered your own question, and also the answer to all religious turmoil to date.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:31 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Sbradley
Jeez people, get a grip. Well, Ali-B get a grip anyway.

I'll spell this out real simple.

www.landoverbaptist.org is a joke.

No, really. It's a spoof put on by the same people who did one about George Bush (I forget what it's called) and, I believe, who produce a spoof weekly internet magazine called The Onion.

But in some ways you're right. Religious extremism, regardless of the orientation of the base religion, is and has to be a Bad Thing. Intolerance, bigotry and persecution don't appear in anybody's holy book but get preached by bad men who corrupt a good thing for their own ends.

I'd ask a different question.

God is fine. But why does anyone believe in the Church?

SB

PS For the record I do believe in God and am happy to say so. My reasons, however, are my own and not for dissection here.
Church does not have to be the formal place we all grew up with. Not being the best grounded guy in this, its a place where a group of Christians meet, be that a house, school etc. For me, getting together with a group of fellow happy clappy's for a meal, a few bottle of wine and then praying together is my meaning of church one week. Next it might be in the environment we are all used to.

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Why do people believe in God?