Daughter requires help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2004, 10:28 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughter requires help please.

OK , it's quite simple really.
Our daughter rents a house through a letting agency. Since July the central heating/water heater controls have packed up, the boiler is either on or off and she cannot change the temperature. It has to be switched on manually, no time switch working !
She has read her letting contract carefully and it clearly states that the repair/maintenence of the heater is the responsibility of the letting agency.
Simple so far-after numerous 'phone calls to the agency and personal visits there is still no repair. They did say that a plumber had been contacted and she waited in for the visit-no one came !
I have told her that she now needs to write to the agency, making it clear that if nothing is done within a specified time then she will organise a plumber and ask that the bill is sent to the agency.
Where can she find a web site that can give her a model letter to follow that contains all the necessary legal jargon that covers her and makes the repair the agency responsibility-clear and unquestionable ?
Thanks
JBL
Old 03 October 2004, 10:34 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

I can't help with the letter, but tell her that it is hugely important that she continues paying her rent and to not be tempted to think that not paying her rent will get them to move faster. It won't, and legally the ball is very much in the letting agencies favour if she did choose to go down this route.

I'd also advise that she should talk to the citizens advice bureau - they can be like a dog with a bone on issues like this and could offer some well needed support/advice.

That's about all the advice I can offer. I hope she gets it sorted out soon
Old 03 October 2004, 11:50 PM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

jbl

I would find it very odd if the contract ( I assume you mean Tenancy Agreement) states that the letting agency are responsible for the repair of the heating system.
The Tenancy Agreement is solely between the Landlord and your daughter (the Tenant) The Landlord may well have contracted the Agent to manage the property on a "fully managed" basis but at the end of the day the funding comes from the owner of the property.

The fault that your daughter is experiencing is more an inconvenience than an essential repair and may well be problematic in the sourcing of suitable parts. If your daughter insrtucts a plumber the letting agency would be well within thier right to refuse the bill and the cost of such would be the burdon of your daughter.

I dont think the CAB will be of any help whatsoever in fact any good letting agency will run rings round them. There is no particular letter that has any specific "legal jargon" but a letter specifying your daughters problem, times, dates, record of conversations etc. will be just as good. and make it as detailed as you can.

Sorry I cant be of any more help but your post is not detailed enough for me to be specific. If you want any more help, let me know.
Old 03 October 2004, 11:58 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

One thing to check is that there is a current Landlords Gas safety Certificate, One copy of which should be in the property, This is a legal requirement to protect tennants.

Mog
Old 04 October 2004, 12:03 AM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

Very true, Mog, but this problem will not come under the premit of the LGSC
Old 04 October 2004, 10:09 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for those points, very useful.
I'll 'phone daughter tonight and get the exact details of her letting agreement so she knows exactly what to do, and inform her of the issues raised.

Thanks again

JBL
Old 04 October 2004, 12:00 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

I have had a similar type problem recently, the best thing to do is contact Environmental Health and explain the situation, they will contact the Agent and force then to get the property into the correct order.

this should have the prblem resolved in weeks if not days
Old 04 October 2004, 12:24 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail
I have had a similar type problem recently, the best thing to do is contact Environmental Health and explain the situation, they will contact the Agent and force then to get the property into the correct order.

this should have the prblem resolved in weeks if not days
Tread carefully, undoubtedly tactics like this will work, but then the landlord may see you as a trouble maker and you'll be getting the two months notice to move out!
Old 04 October 2004, 12:48 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Tread carefully, undoubtedly tactics like this will work, but then the landlord may see you as a trouble maker and you'll be getting the two months notice to move out!
You seems to be saying 'let the landlord **** on you, because he might throw you out'
Fine, I am sure the only reason the girl is still staying there is that she has signed a contract for 6months or a year.
She is the customer here and holds all the cards, if she is given two months notice because of complaints I assure the Environs will take the landlord to the cleaners.
If the landlord does not fix the problem, the Environs will take the landlord to the cleaners.

She has rights and they should be protected, this reeks of the typical 'British' attitude, i.e. let people walk over you and don't say anything, would want to upset anyone now would we.
If fact she should really apologise to the landlord for even suggesting that the heating should be fixed.
Old 04 October 2004, 01:40 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

<<It has to be switched on manually, no time switch working ! >>
...leads to...
<<the best thing to do is contact Environmental Health and explain the situation, they will contact the Agent and force then to get the property into the correct order.>>

..whilst I sympathise with the problem and CAB seems the best bet to me, hardly an Environmental Health problem methinks
Old 04 October 2004, 11:09 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Right, thanks for all of the comments raised, I never imagined such a positive and helpful response. The Good News is that an electrician turned up today ( unannounced ! ) but daughter was in, and fixed the wall thermostat and wired a new timer/control panel to the heater, all now works !
Her letting agreement does clearly state that it is the Letting Agency that is responsible for repairs of this kind. She spoke to them last Friday , again, and explained how many times she had tried to get them to fix things. Someone at last listened but why did it have to be such a struggle !!!!
She was considering telling them what to do with the let and move out but why should she have to leave a place that suits her present needs because others do not do what they should ? AArhgh... it really makes me cross.

Thanks again

JBL