Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone got one of those credit cards where you have a pin number instead of signing?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2004, 05:22 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb anyone got one of those credit cards where you have a pin number instead of signing?

Used mine for the first time today,but as i punched in **** the guy on the till was looking.If he gets my pin will that compromise my security?
Old 02 October 2004, 05:27 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Iv got one but never used it my self yet. They sent me the new card but with barely and instructions. Is the pin i use to get cash of the cash point the same pin i use when buying stuff on the card ??.
Old 02 October 2004, 05:29 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i used one and couldnt rember my pin

it totally threw me off when the keys were in a diffrent place
Old 02 October 2004, 05:31 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Used mine for the first time today,but as i punched in **** the guy on the till was looking.If he gets my pin will that compromise my security?
The PIN is only any use if you have the card aswell. You can change your PIN at a cash point if you're worried about it.

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
Is the pin i use to get cash of the cash point the same pin i use when buying stuff on the card ??.
Yes. So long as it's the same card.
Old 02 October 2004, 05:34 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

I use chip and pin with my debit card and I have always wondered, ever since the idea was first put out there, just exactly how the entering of a 4 digit pin number (not the longest string of numbers in the world to remember) is harder for Mr Card Thief standing behind me in the queue to copy than my personal signature.

Before even if someone were to remove the card from me, they would have a major problem getting the signature to resemble the one on the card for use in shops. Now it seems someone would just need to stand behind you in the line at the checkout, remember the 4 digit pin, follow you outside, take the card from you and be away.

Maybe I am missing something really obvious but the whole scheme to me seems a tad daft

David
Old 02 October 2004, 05:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

daft thing is...you don't actually need to use the pin for the card to work, most credit card machines have the facilty to bypass the PIN entry.

Defeats the point if you ask me
Old 02 October 2004, 05:46 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

djuk - How often does the person at the checkout really check the signature? I used to have a card where the signature was almost completely worn off and I only once was questioned about it. If someone stole that card they'd have had a pretty good chance of being able to use it with almost any signature. With the PIN they've got a one in ten thousand chance of guessing the number, so its a bit more secure.
Old 02 October 2004, 05:52 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
I use chip and pin with my debit card and I have always wondered, ever since the idea was first put out there, just exactly how the entering of a 4 digit pin number (not the longest string of numbers in the world to remember) is harder for Mr Card Thief standing behind me in the queue to copy than my personal signature.

Before even if someone were to remove the card from me, they would have a major problem getting the signature to resemble the one on the card for use in shops. Now it seems someone would just need to stand behind you in the line at the checkout, remember the 4 digit pin, follow you outside, take the card from you and be away.

Maybe I am missing something really obvious but the whole scheme to me seems a tad daft

David
This is why you should always be careful when entering your PIN number to ensure nobody can see. The pin pads appearing in shops should all have at least a small privacy shield, and you can always use your other hand to shield it even more.
The chip is there to prevent card-not-present fraud, and to prevent cloning. If a non-chip transaction is attempted from a chip-capable terminal, the card issuer knows to decline it, and the chip itself is very difficult to clone.

Most signatures are not that difficult to copy sufficiently well to copy, especially as the people who 'check' them most often don't bother.
Old 02 October 2004, 05:58 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by djuk
Before even if someone were to remove the card from me, they would have a major problem getting the signature to resemble the one on the card for use in shops.
When i got my new Capital one Credit Card it didnt come with a PIN straight away so i had to sign the receipt in a shop near me, i'm surprised i got away with it really as i hadn't even signed the bloody thing myself!
Old 02 October 2004, 06:07 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just had mine but it's not active for a couple of weeks yet.... personally I don't understand why we have not got our picture incorporated into the card, this would be a double security measure.
Old 02 October 2004, 06:09 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Picture would defo be a good idea...I've used the pin system caught me well off guard first time.
Old 02 October 2004, 06:12 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason I can think that they will not use pictures are these
"civil liberty" types moaning about it ..... at least if cards were then produced by criminals they would also need to incorporate the fraudsters picture into it also.
Old 02 October 2004, 07:08 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've used it about 5 times,only once using the PIN.Most places dont have the technology.

I can see the adv of using a PIN,i guess i'll just have to sheild it when i enter it in future,the thing is its like saying to the shop assistant...."sorry do you mind looking away as i dont trust you".
Old 02 October 2004, 07:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

I've been using a PIN type card in France for some time now, and every PIN reader I use has a privacy shield around three sides, and/or is on a flying lead so you can place it so no-one can see it as you use it.

Typically, British ones have none: As usual, not only are we behind in the technology, but we go about it half-arsed

How long before the thieves realise this?

And I'd stake my pension it's a money saving thing in the UK, not to have them

Alcazar
Old 02 October 2004, 07:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've been using a PIN type card in France for some time now, and every PIN reader I use has a privacy shield around three sides, and/or is on a flying lead so you can place it so no-one can see it as you use it.

Typically, British ones have none: As usual, not only are we behind in the technology, but we go about it half-arsed

How long before the thieves realise this?

And I'd stake my pension it's a money saving thing in the UK, not to have them

Alcazar
Totally agree mate,kind of reminds me when i had to use a loo on a train station in Belgium,was amazed to see they have partitions which ACTUALLY offer you real privacy,not like those silly things we have in the UK.
Old 02 October 2004, 07:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

The thing that gets my goat is that before mr thief could nick your card and use it to buy stuff by copying your signature. Now he can do this but can easily get your pin no and withdraw cash on your card as well.

I honestly do not see the benefit. Unless your saying that if I order online or over phone they wont accept my card without the pin no (if its a chip & pin card). But then mr thief will probably have your pin anyway after watching you type it in.

Simon.
Old 02 October 2004, 08:10 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

the bypass facility is only there in the short term until most retailers have the machines and everyone has the cards
Old 02 October 2004, 08:24 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

ive used this for a while now, it has been used in frnace and holland for years, Last time i was in a Paris restaraunt, the waiter was very suprised my card reuired a signature, they use this little consoles that they bring to the table, so your card doesnt leave your eye sight.

Card fraud was reduced by 60% in France after they introduced chip and pin, and the northampton trial here showed similiar results.

SO hopefully it does work as the consumer pays for these frauds in the end. There are other options but then you have to way up costs and complexity against the fraud.

If a retailer bypasses the pin they are then responsible if it is a fraudulant transaction not the credit card company, will not be to much longer before they stop overriding the pins.
Old 02 October 2004, 11:41 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Now he can do this but can easily get your pin no and withdraw cash on your card as well.
So be careful when entering your PIN!

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Unless your saying that if I order online or over phone they wont accept my card without the pin no
NO NO NO!!!! NEVER tell your PIN number to ANYBODY!! Even your bank! Only enter it at a payment terminal or cash machine.
Telephone/mail order/internet transactions will be "Card Not Present" transactions, which are riskier for the merchant, but they can still choose to do it if they want.

Most places dont have the technology.
They will do. All of them. Chip & PIN becomes mandatory in the UK on Jan 1st 2005. After that, any merchant who does not support it automatically assumes responsibility for any fraudulent transactions that could have been prevented by supporting chip.
Old 03 October 2004, 12:36 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

So how can i tell whether or not the "keypad" is some dummy "skimming" device to record my PIN as "plain text" whether or not the shop/waiter sees what i type?

mb
Old 03 October 2004, 10:31 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

u cant please some people!

if i loose my current card ANYONE that finds it can spend 30 secs learning the signature before its good enough to fob off some idiot behind the till.

with chip and pin the only person who can get/use my card has to be stood behind me in the que, see my pin then pick my pocket!

chip and pin is superb and easy. (unless your a moron and cant type in 4 numbers without letting the world see (its worked as cash points for years now)
Old 03 October 2004, 12:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Obviously then Tiggs i'm a moron.

The situation was the pin machine was on a very small till,there was no sheilding device and the assistant was stood directly in front of me.There was nowhere to go.My only choice would have been to take some of the advertising plaquards from his window dislpay and build a mini privacy booth (like they have at elections) but that may have been a bit extreme.
I guess i could have used my hand.
Old 03 October 2004, 12:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Obviously then Tiggs i'm a moron.

I guess i could have used my hand.
there you go! you're not a moron.....you just forgot about your spare hand
Old 03 October 2004, 01:08 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Having used this system in france, there is a little flap you can pull down over your hand to sheild it.
Works well
The uk ones are sh!te and poorly planned/made/positioned
Old 03 October 2004, 01:32 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I can't help but wonder if 'chip and pin' was motivated more by card companies wanting to reduce their processing costs, than by any desire to reduce fraud.
Old 03 October 2004, 01:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
I can't help but wonder if 'chip and pin' was motivated more by card companies wanting to reduce their processing costs, than by any desire to reduce fraud.

so what if it was? they are in business to make money.....if i was them and this was a cheaper option i put it in place.........are you saying you think the pin is LESS secure than your signature?
Old 03 October 2004, 04:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

The thing is that 99% of Joe Public are going to use exactly the same PIN on their CaP as found on their ATM card. You know, that card that still has a magnetic stripe so that it is compatible with all the other ATM machines.

Maybe the credit card companies will improve security (reduce overheads ) in the short term, but the banks will end up with mopping up the hidden costs!

Oh, and isn't it interesting how the trial was conducted in, er, Northampton. ISTR that there is a major criedit card company based there, and thus probably a lot of CC company employees - you couldn't pick a better "representative sample" to ensure that you get your own way

mb
Old 03 October 2004, 05:36 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There's nothing wrong with trying to reduce overheads.
What it will reduce is fraud from stolen cards and that must be a good thing.
Old 03 October 2004, 05:38 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
so what if it was? they are in business to make money.....if i was them and this was a cheaper option i put it in place.........are you saying you think the pin is LESS secure than your signature?
"They are in business to make money" - no, really?
I'd say they are no more secure for the average punter who takes care of their cards.
Old 03 October 2004, 06:04 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the system in Belgium in 1994 (that's TEN YEARS AGO) and in Portugal since I arrived (almost FOUR YEARS AGO).

You'd have thought that if it increased card fraud, the companies might have had second thoughts by this time?

You Brits really are narrow-minded sometimes.

FFS, what's the difference? Surely it's far easier to pick someone's pocket discreetly and imitate the signature, than it is to lean over their shoulder and memorise a code BEFORE following them and picking their pocket/mugging them?