Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Traffic restrictions, bus lanes, parking, Congestion Charging

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 01:06 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic restrictions, bus lanes, parking, Congestion Charging

A few friends and myself are almost at the end of our tethers as far as driving in London, or most cities, are concerned.

Despite having residents permits and (some) congestion charging discounts, we all find ourselves appealing against parking fines, CC PCN's and bus lane contraventions at least a few times a month.

My favourite this month are coming out of my house at 8.25am to move my car from a single line before the parking regs become enforced at 8.30am to find two wardens waiting by my car for 8.30 to arrive!

Another, my friend caught a warden issuing him a ticket, my friends and the wardens watch both showed 12.30pm, the pay and display ticket expired at 12.31....

My girlfriend was told she would have time to go and get her spare st of keys as the alarm was playing up, she was gone back to the house for two minutes, literally, lying scumbag warden gave her a ticket!

You can't stop anywhere in London without feeling under attack from these people.... Also, Bus Lanes, on my route to work, they have recently changed several bus lane times of operation, no warnings, no signs, so Monday the bus lane is only operational 7am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm, but then Tuesday it's suddenly 24 hours with no warning.... £50 please.

There must be a hundred posts to this topic already, but is anyone aware of any sites or groups that actually question the rules. I know Labour are anti-car, and Ken is as anti-anti-car as you can get, but it's getting out of hand, they need to be regulated and I think there is room for people to start making their feelings heard....

I know we need rules and regs, but the enforcement is underhand, inconsistent, non-discretionary and archaic!!!!

Rant over.... for now!
Old 30 September 2004, 01:11 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

You sound like you need to relocate to the country
Old 30 September 2004, 01:14 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Trouble with traffic wardens is they're either under such pressure to hit targets that they'd ticket a pram given the chance or they're self-funding, rather like speed cameras..

As for congestion charges and the like, don't get me started..
Old 30 September 2004, 01:15 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Do what everyone else does

go out, find a car that matches yours, nick his number plates and fit them to your car and drive around impervious to tickets!

not that i condone such criminal behaviour
Old 30 September 2004, 01:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blame Ken

Old 30 September 2004, 01:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't understand the train of thinking that the average traffic warden does, sorry....they're called "Parking Attendants" here .

Some seem to get a kick out of ticketing or clamping a car and causing the owner misery regardless if they deserve it or not.

Others have no sense of compasion or discretion, with a by-the-book attitude, bacuase it is written down in paper doesn't mean it applies to everyone and is purely black and white, write or wrong....they posses very sadistic and worrying attitudes if you ask me, if they apply that kind of thinking to their job, then what are they like with other issues. Perhaps the majority of the Political correctness lobby are all traffic wardens?
Old 30 September 2004, 01:49 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I guess it's a bit like politicians, anyone who actually *wants* to be one should be discluded immediately

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2004, 01:58 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Westminster gets more than half of it's money from parking fees/fines. This contributes to some of the lowest council tax rates for London. It is also the only place in the UK where disabled badges do not apply. I can't see this changing - it's just far too lucrative. Other areas are getting in on the act - Hackney has brought in parking permits recently. It is expensive and extremely limiting - residents struggle to find somewhere to park.

I could write a novel on how much I dislike Congestion Charging and bus lanes scameras.

I used to love living in Central London but, thanks to Ken, I found myself getting more and more irritated with living there. Part of the reason I left.

Ken seems to be steam rolling anti-car measures in at a rate of knots and no-one seems to be doing anything to stop him. GPS speed limiters will almost certainly be introduced for buses and taxis. When Ken declares this a success (using measures only understood by him), it'll be introduced for private cars. Once this is deemed a success (by Ken), it will be introduced in other major cities and towns. From there it will be introduced countrywide. He'll probably get voted back in as well.

The sooner someone pushes him under one of the dirty, delayed and packed buses or tube trains he so dearly loves, the better. A fitting end to the fecking ****.
Old 30 September 2004, 02:17 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more Jerome, I am a westminster resident.... Although I have heard the population of MP's with flats in westminster also keeps the council tax down!

Another problem for me is the traffic wardens "base" is at the corner of my road.... So at 8.30am and 6.30pm each day there is a procession of them along my street, and they don't move very far from the streets surrounding their base... And they often gather near my house at 8.30am and have huge, loud discussions whilst leaning on the residents cars!

Was considering printing a big sign to stick on the wall of their offices stating Parking Attendants HQ, Visitors Welcome as it is currently plain and unmarked, for obvious reasons!

Anyone know a good website for catapults???
Old 30 September 2004, 05:27 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Get your catapults here

Last edited by Scoobychick; 30 September 2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 30 September 2004, 07:22 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

At last some body else who seems to be realising that Bus lanes are being installed to create congestion and make driving in London miserable.

This is POLICY for TFL my company works with a number of London Councils amd when working in their offices we get to meet people in various departments and it is apparent from conversations that they are delibrately installing traffic management systems which create congestion. Junctions are redesigned to reduce traffic flow and bus lanes are installed to force all the traffic on to one lane. Red routes which were dual carriage way are reduced to one lane by bollards creating a cycle lane! the list is endless but noboby is stopping it.

I have posted about this before but nobody cares.

all i can say is that driving in london is so bad we pay our staff a significant daily bonus to work/drive there or we cant get staff. the more Ken makes it miserable the more we have to pay the staff and the more we charge any client living in central/west london.
Old 30 September 2004, 07:28 PM
Shortboy
Scooby Regular

Adrian F - you're right. The government/nanny state has decreed that its bad to drive - bad for the environment, bad for health, bad for safety.... - and they're determined to make it as difficult as possible and force us all onto buses & trains. As if.
Old 30 September 2004, 07:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

As the master of teflon has declared

iraq wont cost him the election.....

but his traffic screwing policys and immigration and lack of law and order will
!!!

give the ****** a bloody nose

M
Old 01 October 2004, 08:40 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Yes but if you talk to people making policy for councils in London some of them will admit that Pollution is only a temporary problem which will go away with improved engines and green vehicles. They admit that they are using pollution to force thru these changes before it is too late as they really believe that public transport is the correct way of travelling in London.

Many of the new air quality monitoring sites are installed after junctions have been altered to reduce traffic flow and therefore have lots of vehicles in jams pumping out fumes then used to justify further restrictions. Earl’s court road is a classic where they altered the junction at Old Brompton to reduce traffic flow then put in air monitoring as the jams are even worse.

Because they go in after they cant prove the changes have made things worse just that things are bad and need improving hence they justify anti car measures!