Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tracker would you buy one knowing this? please read

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2004, 02:21 AM
GINGA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker would you buy one knowing this? please read

Carrying on from the stolen GTIR thread in the other marques section, Quoted from the stolen gtir thread on the gtiroc forum
well just to put salt to injury, the police advised i activate the tracker on the car, i phoned up paid £139 quid for the year and went to activate it and according to company policy i can't declare my car stolen to them for a month... what good is that, i've paid for the service so what difference does it make, so pissed off
What a bunch of ******* if people could email tracker in a effort to change their minds i'm sure she'd be very grateful
Lets see if we can give Tracker a little encouragement to activate Hannies system.I've been considering getting one of these myslef but if this is how they are,I'm having second thoughts.
Email customerservices@TRACKER.co.uk and quote ref:K717PGN with your thoughts and the likelihood of you purchasing their system in light of this.
Old 29 September 2004, 09:21 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Eh ?

Thread here.

As I read it the guy has owned the car for 5 months without paying a tracker subscription, now his car has been stolen he wants to pay the sub to get the benefit.

I don't see why that should be allowed. Its like not paying for insurance unless you have an accident and then paying that years premium to get it sorted. Or joining the AA when your car has just broken down.

I expect the rules are quite clear and seem sensible to me. It does seem silly not to be able to recover the car but he hasn't paid for that service.
Old 29 September 2004, 09:28 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

That's like only insuring your car after you've had an accident or buying RAC cover after you've broken down Neither is on although some people do the RAC one.

I can 100% sympathise with Tracker here. My car has one but I can't be bothered to activate it at the moment due to the low value of my car so if it goes missing that's my tough ****

Paul
Old 29 September 2004, 09:32 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

think the title of this post should be "would you be a tight git and not pay your subs until your car gets nicked"....the answer to which is prob no!
Old 29 September 2004, 09:50 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

there will be dead people calling me looking for life insurance next
Old 29 September 2004, 09:57 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I can't believe this thread
Old 29 September 2004, 10:11 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by fast bloke

You can do that?!

Trending Topics

Old 29 September 2004, 10:13 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You can do that?!

they need to be still warm, and preferably not need a medical for underwriting

(Actually - it doesn't actually ask you if you are dead.... strange that )
Old 29 September 2004, 10:15 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think he's trying to get it activated 'immediatley' to see if there's a slim chance that its still on the move! ...Dont understand why tracker would need 28 days to activate it? ...doesnt take that long when you buy a 'new' car?
Old 29 September 2004, 12:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Fair enough the subscription wasn't renewed but it seems a bit **** that Tracker make the owner wait a month. When you renew Tracker subs or when buying a new car with Tracker they test the device to see if its communicating with Tracker HQ. I don't see why they can't do that now.

Sounds like they are just being tight to the owner for not paying the subscription. Why is it £139 anyway I thought the renewal is £109.

IMHO I wish I'd been the first owner of my car as I wouldn't have chosen Tracker Monitor and gone for Horizon. Tracker can't tell if monitor will work unless the car is moving for more than 5 mins without the ignition on. Yes they can test communication but not if its actually working - thats another £80 for an engineer to come and test it.

Sounds like a blag to me this Tracker business and if the thing doesn't work in the event of theft even though you've paid for subs etc they can say sorry its down to you to make sure it works.
Old 29 September 2004, 01:01 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Fair enough the subscription wasn't renewed but it seems a bit **** that Tracker make the owner wait a month. When you renew Tracker subs or when buying a new car with Tracker they test the device to see if its communicating with Tracker HQ. I don't see why they can't do that now.

Sounds like they are just being tight to the owner for not paying the subscription. Why is it £139 anyway I thought the renewal is £109.

IMHO I wish I'd been the first owner of my car as I wouldn't have chosen Tracker Monitor and gone for Horizon. Tracker can't tell if monitor will work unless the car is moving for more than 5 mins without the ignition on. Yes they can test communication but not if its actually working - thats another £80 for an engineer to come and test it.

Sounds like a blag to me this Tracker business and if the thing doesn't work in the event of theft even though you've paid for subs etc they can say sorry its down to you to make sure it works.
So are you seriously saying that if you are too tight to pay for your subscription (like me ) then if you phone up after the event tracker should then tell you where your car is If everyone did that then they wouldn't have much of a business would they

Do you insure your car after you've smashed it up or had it stolen?
Do you insure your house after you'vr been burgled?
Do you tax your car after you've been caught for no tax?
Do you pay for your shopping after you've eaten it?
Do you take out your breakdown cover after you've broken down?
Do you pay your mortgage/rent after you've been evicted?

I could go on!

He didn't pay before his car was stolen so it's his tough **** I'm afraid.
Old 29 September 2004, 01:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
So are you seriously saying that if you are too tight to pay for your subscription (like me ) then if you phone up after the event tracker should then tell you where your car is If everyone did that then they wouldn't have much of a business would they

Do you insure your car after you've smashed it up or had it stolen?
Do you insure your house after you'vr been burgled?
Do you tax your car after you've been caught for no tax?
Do you pay for your shopping after you've eaten it?
Do you take out your breakdown cover after you've broken down?
Do you pay your mortgage/rent after you've been evicted?

I could go on!

He didn't pay before his car was stolen so it's his tough **** I'm afraid.

I appreciate that fact she should have paid BEFORE it got pinched, but to say she couldn't report the car stolen for 28 days is a bit peevish if you ask me. Why did they charge her £139? 1 years subs is £109 isn't it.

Tracker lifetime subscription is £300 ish. Why not charge her that and acitivate it now - gives her the choice then and for me I would rather pay the subs than get smacked with a £300 bill - again I'd point out that its unlikely to do any good and Tracker gets money for nothing.
Old 29 September 2004, 01:13 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Even if tracker could activate it after it's been stolen then it'd be useless 9 times out of 10 because the box gets ripped out and thrown away It's shocking how easily they find these boxes and remove them in about half hour once they are a safe distance away.
Old 29 September 2004, 02:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

If you read the thread then the Police themselves have contacted tracker who still stood firm although as you say I think they are witholding evidence.

I don't see how they can do it but I can see why they do it because they wouldn't have a business otherwise unless they started doing an "instant cover" for say £500 that was activated straight away That way everyone's a winner
Old 29 September 2004, 03:26 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I understand what Tracker are doing, but they shouldnt accept payment if the car is already stolen. Cover should start immediately with the caveat that it must still be with the member at time of payment - who buys insurance that starts in 30 days time ? If they paid then the car was stolen 2 weeks later the same problem would exist. Tracker cannot have it all ways.
Old 29 September 2004, 03:49 PM
GINGA
Scooby Regular

So she forgot to renew the subscription for 5 months, she's now paid over the odds to get it turned back on just like you would do if you phoned the AA etc once you've broken down they will still come out but it will cost you extra she's paid the money for the service which is what they wanted and now they refuse to give the service she's now paid for
Well the people who refuse to help remember this the people who stolen this car will steal again and next time IT COULD BE YOUR CAR!!!! that they steal then how will you feel knowing that they could have be caught if you only helped to turn the tracker on :roll:
Old 29 September 2004, 03:59 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by GINGA
Well the people who refuse to help remember this the people who stolen this car will steal again and next time IT COULD BE YOUR CAR!!!! that they steal then how will you feel knowing that they could have be caught if you only helped to turn the tracker on :roll:

but I paid my subscription on time, so they didn't turn it off

( I would take a different view if she had paid it a couple of weeks before it was stolen, but obviously she had no intention of renewing the sub...)
Old 29 September 2004, 05:02 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

In this instance how are tracker out of pocket?
I understand if no-one paid subs they would have no business ...
You've answered your own question there. Why would anyone bother to pay subs if they could pay at the point of theft for recovery? On average it would be a lot cheaper to only pay when you need the service.
Old 29 September 2004, 05:29 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

see my first post

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
My car has one but I can't be bothered to activate it at the moment due to the low value of my car so if it goes missing that's my tough ****

Paul
Old 29 September 2004, 06:36 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

should have paid the fee then Ginga!
Subscription fee for life, even though the unit is currently 'on hold' in our attic as you never know when the attic might get nicked
Old 29 September 2004, 06:44 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Is it Tracker that is fitted as standard to an STi Type UK? I can't remember.

Anyhow, whatever exact one it is I only pay the subscription for the insurance company as my car has been on ferries, low loaders (at least once and perhaps several times recently) etc. and never one call from the control centre people.

I did ring them to ask if it was working and they said it was, but didn't give me any information as to where the car was so that didn't give me much confidence. Personally I'd say if you need it for the insurance then sure, get it fitted, but if you actually expect it to help get your car back then my experience would indicate that you'd be pretty lucky. I've seen some others on here post with similar experiences.

A different angle on the story perhaps but it may not matter who much is paid, they probably still can't find it.
Old 29 September 2004, 06:49 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

our scoob has been on a low loader and we got a call from them saying do you knoow where your car is???
Answer yes, 2 feet behind me on a flat bed
Old 29 September 2004, 07:10 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

In all honesty, I can't square the idea of paying out more money for a device that saves an insurance company money by giving me back something that I'd never want to see again, should it be stolen. If they're that bothered, and have that much faith in it, surely you'd see a reduction in the premium that reflects the outlay? I do everything I can to prevent losing mine, but if it gets stolen, I hope to christ it never re-appears! Understand, however, that there are those who simply can't get a quote without a tracker.
Old 29 September 2004, 07:20 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Thumbs down Get a subscription before the car gets nicked next time

if you phoned the AA etc once you've broken down they will still come out but it will cost you extra
The AA choose to operate like that, you can well understand that after the car has been stolen tracker or whoever it is might not want to know. I am suprised that if the situation was explained to them they still took the money. After all the tracker is likely to be disabled within half an hour or so.

Well the people who refuse to help
Not really sure what anyone can do to help.

remember this the people who stolen this car will steal again and next time IT COULD BE YOUR CAR!!!! that they steal then how will you feel knowing that they could have be caught if you only helped to turn the tracker on :roll:
Both of mine are on as I paid both the subscriptions. When the car is moved without my permission either tracker or the RAC will phone me up to verify that the car is there or not. Hopefully before both of them are disabled or the car is smashed up the boys in blue have found the car and had a nice chat with the nasty men that took it.

I cant remember about the tracker but on the trackstar there is an O2 sim card on the unit, without it the device is not active. I would hardly expect the RAC to fund this without asking me for the funds to do so.

I hope your friend recovers the car!
Old 29 September 2004, 07:26 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Default Insurance reasons only

Originally Posted by micared
Understand, however, that there are those who simply can't get a quote without a tracker.
I got a massive reduction by having one but as you say I would not want it back. This first year insurance+installation+subs has cost me as much as it would have done to be insured without it. Works out cheaper for me in the long run.

Hopefully they disable the trackers quickly (if it does get nicked), I have seen some real horror stories on here about the cars that have been recovered.
Old 29 September 2004, 07:36 PM
matron22
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I would like a quote please Fast Bloke I didnt know that service was available either, many thanks lololol
Originally Posted by fast bloke
Old 29 September 2004, 10:00 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by micared
In all honesty, I can't square the idea of paying out more money for a device that saves an insurance company money by giving me back something that I'd never want to see again, should it be stolen. If they're that bothered, and have that much faith in it, surely you'd see a reduction in the premium that reflects the outlay?

I recently couldn't get a quote anywhere for my scoob for under £880 FC. When I mentioned I had a trackstar fitted (but not subscribed), the quote went to £508 FC subject to me getting a subscription. The saving of £372 allowed me to subscribe for a year (£120) and have some cash left to treat myself.....I am glad the previous owner had it installed .