Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contesting a Fixed Penalty

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 05:23 PM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

Location: On Mars...in a cave....with my eyes shut....and my fingers in my ears!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Contesting a Fixed Penalty

Search doesn't seem to be working at the moment!!

Can someone remind me of the website that gives all the advice on contesting fixed penalty fines (for speeding)?

Oh, and if you're reading this Suprabeast - no it's not for me!!

Old 28 September 2004, 05:35 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what exactly you mean by contesting. However the following are worth a look:

www.abd.org.uk
Good info on the signs that must be displayed for a limit to be enforcable. You'd be amazed at how many speed limits are not legally enforcable due to the signs.

www.pepipoo.com
There is an excellent letter in the judicial process part of this site that should be sent to your local Chief Constable pointing out that the NIP document is illegal. It should, however, be sent before the document is returned. There is also lots of discussion of the PACE argument etc. and Mika has also been involved in discrediting the accuracy of the laser speed gear.

www.safespeed.org.uk
An almost infinite amount of info on the safety aspects of speed cameras and some forums as well where help my be available.

The person who has the offer should note that the unsigned route doesn't work any more, or at least is no longer recommended as a course of action. In that respect there is no simple get out of jail free card. However, people are contesting the NIPs and winning so a suitable defence may be available.

One thing they may have to do is employ a solicitor and it is important that they get someone with experience of motoring law. General solicitors will probably be interested in little other than pleas of mitigation while a motoring solicitor should be willing and able to mount a suitable defence, with a reasonable chance of success, in almost every case.