Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

We are stuffed if they start doing this over here

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 10:21 AM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We are stuffed if they start doing this over here

I can't believe they can catch speeders this way, it does not seem to be a very accurate way of doing it ?

They can be anywhere If they ever start doing this in the UK I am going to sell my car and get a peddle gokart

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634166
Old 27 September 2004, 10:37 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Monkeh
I can't believe they can catch speeders this way, it does not seem to be a very accurate way of doing it ?

They can be anywhere If they ever start doing this in the UK I am going to sell my car and get a peddle gokart

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634166
Fingers crossed it doesn't catch on.

It's getting silly now. Like one person said on that thread - wonder how much it is costing the taxpayer tho fund something like that.
Old 27 September 2004, 11:02 AM
STI4ME
Scooby Regular

I've seen the road signs over there warning "Speed monitored by aircraft", but not heard of it actually happening. Was a bit bizzare the first time I saw it, but since being pulled by Pontiac in March, I'm a bit more careful with the limits anyhow.
Old 27 September 2004, 11:10 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

What's the difference between being caught by a plane rather than a helicopter which has been in force in the UK for many years?

When you see the white painted squares in the middle of a road you are prey from above.
Old 27 September 2004, 11:24 AM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

Spoon since when ? first i've heard of this ? i didnt think they could do this in the UK ?
Old 27 September 2004, 11:26 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Its live and it is happening over here!

North Wales police and Derbyshire use helicopters, Derbyshire used to have spotter planes some years back...

Both forces have signage on the roads advising "Traffic enforcement by Helicopter"
Old 27 September 2004, 11:30 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Normally the squares are used for road car VASCAR etc, but there is nothing stopping them using it from a plane or helicopter.

Just they need ground patrol to enforce it (unless we are forced to have number plates on our roofs ). Would be cheaper to run a few unmarked road vehicles or some camera vans. Mind it's taxpayers money, so they aren't going to be bothered about the little issue of expense are they?
Old 27 September 2004, 11:36 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I like the story from the Gumball a few years back, a lone 911 Turbo (C2 Maybe???) apparently picked up a tail from a police helicopter on a long stretch of quiet highway in Arizona or somewhere, so he out ran it....

Seen the signs in the peak district warning of helicopter enforcement and have heard of the spotter planes in US and AUS many times. Think the size of the area they cover justifies their cost.
Old 27 September 2004, 11:39 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Just they need ground patrol to enforce it (unless we are forced to have number plates on our roofs ).

maybe an apache attack chopper fitted with speed seeking air to ground missiles
Old 27 September 2004, 11:41 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Normally the squares are used for road car VASCAR etc, but there is nothing stopping them using it from a plane or helicopter.

Just they need ground patrol to enforce it (unless we are forced to have number plates on our roofs ). Would be cheaper to run a few unmarked road vehicles or some camera vans. Mind it's taxpayers money, so they aren't going to be bothered about the little issue of expense are they?
The squares were introduced for helicopters originally. Vascar usually relies on something larger for accuracy, especially from a following vehicle, i.e a bridge. That isn't to say they can't be used of course.

Monkeh- I know of copters trailing traffic as far back as 1991.
Old 27 September 2004, 11:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You'd better tell that to the chief constable then
Old 27 September 2004, 12:38 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Nearly 5hat my pants when i was driving from LA to San Fran. Had the cruise control set to 95 and saw a low flying plane going up and down the same stretch of interstate
Whan i got a bit closer it turned out to be a crop sprayer made me slow down a bit though
Old 27 September 2004, 12:40 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Wink The Heliplod is comming to get you!

The road I take (cant remember the number) between Sheffield and Manchester has a heli-plod. Seen it a couple of times, I understand its been around for a few years as the road is an accident black spot.

Originally Posted by Monkeh
...If they ever start doing this in the UK I am going to sell my car and get a peddle gokart
Buy now!
Old 27 September 2004, 01:23 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Ubik
The road I take (cant remember the number) between Sheffield and Manchester has a heli-plod. Seen it a couple of times, I understand its been around for a few years as the road is an accident black spot.
That'll be Woodhead then?

Derbyshire & Cheshire Tax Enforcers do still use the planes over the Cat & Fiddle road to persecute bikers, I can see them from my house on nice days. They usually have a couple of plods waiting at the bottom of the hill to take details. Cheshire CC have even dropped the speed limit on their portion of the road, in order that they can catch some motorists into the bargain
Old 27 September 2004, 01:39 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

I'll drive towards an airport if I notice a police helicopter following me, hopefully they will get lost in the air traffic.
Old 27 September 2004, 01:54 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shamrock
I'll drive towards an airport if I notice a police helicopter following me, hopefully they will get lost in the air traffic.

have you watched 'speed' with keanu/bullock one to many times????
Old 27 September 2004, 02:07 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Yup I went to Colorado a couple of years back and the highway out of Denver to Glenwood Springs warns of aerial spotter planes for catching motorists.

At the end of the day if the Government were serious about speeding, and not just money grabbing, they would 'cube' the cars of anyone caught speeding and ban them for a year, that would definitely stop it happening.

Mark
Old 28 September 2004, 01:49 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by a memebr of britains finest a couple of weeks back that those very same blocks that were used by planes and helos in derbyshire could soon be spotted by satelites!! dont know what truth there is in it, but he seemed serious at the time.

sorry to be the bearer of further bad news!

Old 28 September 2004, 09:23 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by j4mou
I was told by a memebr of britains finest a couple of weeks back that those very same blocks that were used by planes and helos in derbyshire could soon be spotted by satelites!! dont know what truth there is in it, but he seemed serious at the time.

sorry to be the bearer of further bad news!

This was on local news last night. apparently (ok - it was a politician talking, so it might be bullsh1t) if you have a tracker fitted the monitoring people can already identify your car, its location and the speed and direction of travel. They reckon that all new cars built in 5-6 years will have trackers of some description fitted, then all it takes is a slight change of legislation to allow this info to be used to prosecute you.
Old 28 September 2004, 09:35 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by fast bloke
They reckon that all new cars built in 5-6 years will have trackers of some description fitted, then all it takes is a slight change of legislation to allow this info to be used to prosecute you.
Be assured, that change in legislation will happen, we've already allowed Blindgit to do far worse to our judicial system, in the name of 'national security'
Old 28 September 2004, 11:01 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
This was on local news last night. apparently (ok - it was a politician talking, so it might be bullsh1t) if you have a tracker fitted the monitoring people can already identify your car, its location and the speed and direction of travel. They reckon that all new cars built in 5-6 years will have trackers of some description fitted, then all it takes is a slight change of legislation to allow this info to be used to prosecute you.
In truth this is coming probably somewhat faster than 5 - 6 years and it will do more than just allow them to prosecute you. It is called Intelligent Speed Adaptation and actually controls the brakes and throttle on your car to prevent you exceeding "limits" set down by the administration. The project to digitally map the country for this is due to COMPLETE by next September.

The UK is going for the most restrictive version of this technology and it looks like it may also be linked to number plate tags and other active technologies to chart your movements and to implement road charging. The technology will not just restrict you to the speed limit it will also be enabled so as to restrict the speed of your vehicle in "dangerous" areas. So you will be slowing to 20mph for corners, bus stops, cycle lanes etc. for example.

The technology will also be fitted to HGVs and they are limited to 40mph on single carriageways. In effect what this means is that you will also be limited to 40mph on these roads as with ISA overtaking with be impossible or extremely dangerous.

The tender documents also call for the devices to work on motorbikes.

This is an attempt by the greens and the administration to gain control over your personal movements and, clearly, no motorist can even entertain the thought that this might be a safety measure. Applying the brakes during overtaking a safety measure? Applying the brakes on a motorbike going around a corner a safety measure?

It was discussed a few days back as Red Ken seems to be about to get it installed and running in London:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=365033
Old 28 September 2004, 12:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just as a matter of interest, there is a speed limit for low flying military aircraft in Germany and the 'planes can be caught on radar too!

Les