Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

whats the new window tint law?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 09:37 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the new window tint law?

I know the law has changed and people have had to take their tints off on the side of the road etc but what is the actual law now?

I ask as new cars seem to be being supplied with tinted windows still?

Can someone shed some light on it please (excuse the pun)
Old 27 September 2004, 09:38 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Default http://www.linktrader.co.uk/article249.html

Recent changes in European and UK law have changed which window tints and security films may legally be fitted to motor vehicles.

The original draft of the law does not, in theory, allow us to fit tinted film to glass either on the windscreen, or the two windows either side of the driver (forward of the B pillar), as it decreases the level of light transmission below 70%. This was worked around however, as the law didn’t specifically state anything about the fitment of after-market films.

Moving forward, this ‘work around’ was abused, and a number of people fitted low light transmission films to their front windows, the so called privacy or blackout films. The inevitable happened, a report on a fatal accident noted that the fitment of an after-market tint to the window, and consequential loss of vision, was contributory to the death of the motorcyclist. This, combined with European directives, leads us to the recent amendment.

This now closes the loophole under which we have been working, and effectively bans tinting windows beyond the 70% light transmission level originally prescribed.

We are now in an interesting position, the statute has been written, but until someone is taken to court and found guilty, the issue is not law. So how do the Police and vehicle inspectorate proceed? Their guidelines recognise the difference between ‘light’ and ‘dark’ window tints, but despite much debate on the safety the fitment of any film or substance will attract an enforcement policy.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.
Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)
The owner or driver of such a vehicle will be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice, A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed. In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.
Below 30% Visible Light Transmission (Excessively dark Window Tints)
The owner or driver of such a vehicle may be issued with an Immediate Prohibition Notice and immediately prevented from driving the vehicle on public roads until the tints have been removed and either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer confirms that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. It is also possible, depending on the severity of the offence, that the owner may be prosecuted for driving a vehicle in a non-roadworthy or even a dangerous condition with the potential for Penalty Points and a Fine.
Driving such a vehicle on public roads before the tints have been removed and before a Prohibition Notice has been lifted will be a serious offence and the owner or driver is likely to be prosecuted.
Old 27 September 2004, 09:42 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I like seeing through my windows, I do.
Old 27 September 2004, 09:46 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Just read that actually and im still not convinced.

I have 30% tints on all windows other than the front windscreen. I believe these allow 30% of the natural light to enter the car. They used to be the darkest you could go on the front windows. I assume that these are now illegal?

What happens if you buy a new car (range rover etc) with darkened windows? Are these now illegal, he asks looking in the car park at a new volvo people carrier thing with dark windows on.
Old 27 September 2004, 09:51 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

I have 30% tints on all windows other than the front windscreen. I believe these allow 30% of the natural light to enter the car. They used to be the darkest you could go on the front windows. I assume that these are now illegal?.

Yes

What happens if you buy a new car (range rover etc) with darkened windows? Are these now illegal, he asks looking in the car park at a new volvo people carrier thing with dark windows on.
Likely to be after market tints, some companies will still do them illegally.
Old 27 September 2004, 10:03 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Why on earth would you want to block 70% (i.e. leave 30%) of the light coming through your windows?!

Steve.
Old 27 September 2004, 10:17 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

This now closes the loophole under which we have been working, and effectively bans tinting windows beyond the 70% light transmission level originally prescribed.
I don't understand the way that is worded - it seems to contradict itself. It says below 30% must be removed and above 30% must be removed thereby inferring ALL tinting is banned???

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)
The owner or driver of such a vehicle will be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows...
Below 30% Visible Light Transmission (Excessively dark Window Tints)
The owner or driver of such a vehicle may be issued with an Immediate Prohibition Notice and immediately prevented from driving the vehicle on public roads until the tints have been removed
Old 27 September 2004, 10:19 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

boxt it isnt dark mate .......... its normal tinting. These are not the real dark windows you see on pimp mobils.
Old 27 September 2004, 10:25 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

nb
the new law only applies to the front two windows.

Anything behind the B pillar you are free to go as dark as you wish- as long as it has two mirrors externally, you can effectively be classed as a van (ie, blocked off rear windows+screen)

Personally, and from experience- as long as its sensible, it doesnt seem to cause a problem, and the police leave you alone.
Anyone who goes darker than light smoke on their front windows is IMO asking for trouble and/or a tug from the law.
It was ridiculous, seeing max muppets driving about with limo tint all round at night- using cheaper film is even worse for this and restricts visibility even further.

They cant make you remove them at the side of the road- they can issue you with a 14 day VDR notice, or a prohibition notice. If they tried to tell you otherwise, in order to remain legal on the rest of your journey- just roll the windows down all the way. Like i said, this new law only applies to the FRONT windows.
if you delve into MOT law etc, you will find all sorts of interesting small print and clauses useful for such situations like this.

Last edited by Freak; 27 September 2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 27 September 2004, 08:24 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I have 30% tints on all windows other than the front windscreen. I believe these allow 30% of the natural light to enter the car. They used to be the darkest you could go on the front windows. I assume that these are now illegal?

Add the 70% of the light they let in with the 25% ish tint already in the glass as standard and you are illegal

Steve
Old 27 September 2004, 08:48 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

As ajm say's, does this mean that all tints on the front two windows will be / is illegal?
Old 27 September 2004, 09:08 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

effectively yes
To the letter of the law anyway.

Most police have a degree of tolerance and know what is acceptable with regards to clear visibility and what is daft and downright dangerous.

I reckon if you tested some factory tinted (but not darkened if that makes sense) front windows they would fail- the law seems a little harsh personally, but as yet remains untested.
Old 05 October 2004, 12:34 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

just to bring this one back up again.....

i'm buying a car with tints which are illegal on it soon, but i've heard of something that is darker than oe tinted windows but not reversible or removable. anyone heard of this? supposedly legal too!
Old 05 October 2004, 12:49 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

My issue with this is why do they stipulate that you cannot reduce visible light to below 70% (e.g. with 30%+ tint) and then go on to say that even though the tint is less than 30% is has to be removed anyway???
Old 05 October 2004, 01:25 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
My issue with this is why do they stipulate that you cannot reduce visible light to below 70% (e.g. with 30%+ tint) and then go on to say that even though the tint is less than 30% is has to be removed anyway???

Cos they are ********* and are just looking for another crappy law to fine people with